main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Star Wars: where science meets imagination

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by PowerDroid, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2008
    The Powerhouse Museum is bringing the exciting new exhibition Star Wars: where science meets imagination to Australia this December with a two city tour commencing in Sydney (December 2008-April 2009) and then travelling to the Scienceworks Museum in Melbourne (dates to be confirmed, from June 2009).

With over 100 costumes, props and s from all 6 films, this highly interactive exhibition explores the real-world scientific innovations that are making Star Wars reality.

The Powerhouse is offering fans the opportunity to sign up now for its free Star Wars premium club. A regular newsletter will give club members advance notice of events in connection with the exhibition, behind the scenes views of exhibition development, competitons and prizes, and advance purchase of tickets to view the exhibition. You can join the club at
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/starwars/

Fans also have the opportunity to volunteer as exhibition guides. Further information will be available soon on the premium club website, or if you saw the volunteer presentation at Supanova in Sydney and would like to sign up now, the application form can be found at
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/volunteers/volunteers_posititions.asp

If you loved Star Wars: the Magic of Myth, previously at the Powerhouse, then you won't want to miss Star Wars: where science meets imagination.

"It is your destiny... to see this exhibtion"

Locked due to complete disinterest

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Yaaay, more advertising! [face_dancing] :p

Although it would be nice if things like this would bloody well come to Queensland for once...

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Now now duchess, you know as well as I that we live in a Cultural Backwater :p

I'll be heading down to Sydney for this. Road trip anyone?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Tad irked by the "no, you're not getting it and it's spamtime telling you to come to us to see it."

This said, hypocrasy from me if I stood by that, since I did do the Trek one in Sydney 9 or so years back (that and a big Con was on down there back then).
    So, er, ah, carry on.

5. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    This thread makes me thirst for the great taste of Coca-ColaTM . The refreshing taste can be enjoyed anywhere - On the beach, On the boat, On the Patio, Wherever good times are had.

Drink Coke!

[image=http://www.xeni.net/images/bb/bollywoodboy.jpg]

6. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    mm, Coca Cola.. Symbol of free west!

7. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Thank you for the invitation, but I will be in Cairns to see the world's greatest living wonder: Elsia, The Man-Woman. She speaks in not one, but three different voices.

[image=http://www.thatchickensite.com/scribbles/eclecticsack/strips/2007-08-02.jpg]

If you liked "Jim-Jim, The Otter-Faced Childe" at the 1908 Strawberry Jamboree, you'll love "Elsia, The Man-Woman". It's a gas and a half at twice the bargain. Ladies, bring a plate.

8. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    [image=http://www.thatchickensite.com/images/misc/salesman.jpg]
    Why hello there, sir, you look like an upright, forthstanding gentleman, so have I got a deal for you!

[image=http://www.crazyaboutgadgets.com/cag_uploads/product_images/img_1506.jpg]

It's the Magnatech Kitchenmate-friend, as seen on the wireless! It's made using science, so you know it's gotta be good! It slices, it dices, it broils! Doesn't clean, though, that's a woman's job!

Nah, I'm just kidding about your mom, little Billy, she's a classy lady. I like yer style son, here's a nickel, go buy yourself a quart o' milk.

9. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    SALE SALE SALE

We have gone COMPLETELY MAAAAAD

CARPETS CARPETS CARPETS. DONT PAY 200 FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL PERSIAN RUG. DONT PAY 100. I AM PRACTICALLY GIVING THEM AWAY FOR 20 DOLLARS. THATS RIGHT TWENTY AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. FOLKS I GOTTA GET RID OF ALL THESE CARPETS. IF MY LOAN SHARK SEES ALL OF THESE BEATUTIFUL PERSIAN RUGS IN MY GARAGE HE IS GOING TO CUT OFF MY ARMS AND LEGS. YOU HEARD RIGHT.

ONLY THIS WEEKEND AT THE SULTAN OF BRISBANES KRAZY KARPET CLUB. HURRY STOCKS ARE LIMITED.

This is the best thread.

10. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I be having something you can like, and you know well I know you. All I ask, is that promises you send on this account number at my friend in Melbourne and you will receive lots of fun gifts as from me. This photos is the beginning of the things we can do. I not be selling things or be criminal of kind. only asking for friendship that precious to you and fun.

reply at 3489ncjhjdsjjjjj@russia.com

11. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    OK guys, I think we all get the idea. You guys are peeved at the 'blatant' advertising, but how else is the Powerhouse going to get their message across? I let this go on all forums for one major reason, not everyone goes to the Oceania boards and not everyone has a fan force to go to. (ie Tassie are in no mans land). So, please, enough with the advertising jokes and just leave it alone if you are simply not interested.

12. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004

Just like this

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Amusing.... o_O:rolleyes:

14. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Part of my emjoyment of TFN is that I can talk Star Wars and the like in an environment free of spamvertising (apart from banner ads which are totally fine imo), and that advertising something for a thousand kilometers away from most us us is pointless and a slight annoyance. For us to react by creating something fun of it is part of why this board is so healthy.
    I totally get why you're cool with this type of advertising, but since it's mostly irrelevant to us I don't see the harm in our response. I am sure that if someone here expresses any more interest like Magnus, they will reply and the user "powerdroid" will happily respond to their enquiries...
    [face_plain]

15. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Pretty Much, Goob.

I don't see a reason why we need to be advertised to and I don't see a reason we can't take the mickey out of this. If he wants to advertise down on the NSW or Victorian boards, go nuts. They can actually go to it.

And now THIS

16. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I completely agree guys. Thing was I already knew about this hence my suggestion of the roadtrip. However I didn't think I could get away with saying something like "That's great. Why don't you put that in a memo titled '%#$@ I Already Know!'" :p

Don't TFN and the Jedi Council Forums already have a newswire service to advertise this stuff anyway??

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Point made.

Not everyone Australia wide 'already knew' and it is Star Wars related. Other forums haven't found this offensive, have read it, and let it slide off the page if they are not interested. It was only to let you all know you are welcome to participate if you wanted to, and as SW fans I would have thought some might have found that interesting. Many members of the Oceania region rarely stray out of their own forums and to go to an 'announcements' area would not even occur to them. Just because something isn't in your home state, doesn't mean you cannot participate or attend, the Supa Novas tell us that. Consider this locked.

Adalia Edit

Received this from Powerdroid and as per his request, have posted it for you to read.

I'm very sorry that some fans have considered this to be "spamming/advertising", as it was certainly not our intention-only to give fans who were not already aware of the exhibtion, the opportunity to learn of its existence and to know that there was an opportunity to actively participate in the exhibtion by joining the museum's volunteer program.

For the previous Star Wars exhibition at the Powerhouse we had a number of fans who came from interstate (and, in fact, especially Queensland) to see the exhition and even to volunteer for it, so we felt that giving early notice, before our main promotion for the exhibtion ramps up, would be helpful for fans who would like to plan in advance for a trip to Sydney or Melbourne, or plan when to take leave if they were interested in volunteering.

Since, even with the internet, it can take time for the word to get around, I thought that it would be polite and helpful to the majority of fans to post customised messages to each state, so that fans outside Sydney and Melbourne would not feel that they were being ignored. It frankly didn't occur to me that what I considered a courtesy, based on previous experience with our earlier Star Wars exhibition, would be taken as spam.

BTW, my apologies for not responding on the board over the past few days, but my sister was taken to hospital with serious complications to her pregnancy on Friday and I've had to put family matters first over the weekend.

I would appreciate it if you would post this message to the locked thread on the Queensland board, so that they will be aware that it was not our intention to spam, but only to let fans know about an exciting Star Wars event and a participation opportunity they might be interested in. My apologies to all if our intent was misinterpreted.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.