main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Star Wars: where science meets imagination

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by PowerDroid, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2008
    The Powerhouse Museum is bringing the exciting new exhibition Star Wars: where science meets imagination to Australia this December with a two city tour commencing in Sydney (December 2008-April 2009). The exhibition will then be travelling to Scienceworks in Melbourne (from June 2009).

With over 100 costumes, props and models from all 6 films, this highly interactive exhibition explores the real-world scientific innovations that are making Star Wars fantasy a reality.

If you don't want to wait until the exhibition comes to Melbourne, the Powerhouse is offering fans the opportunity to sign up now for its free Star Wars premium club. A regular newsletter will give club members advance notice of events in connection with the exhibition, behind the scenes views of exhibition development, competitons and prizes, and advance purchase of tickets to view the exhibition in Sydney. You can join the club at
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/starwars/

Fans also have the opportunity to volunteer as exhibition guides. Further information on volunteering in Sydney will be available soon on the premium club website, or if you saw the volunteer presentation at Supanova in Sydney and would like to sign up now, the application form can be found at
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/volunteers/volunteers_posititions.asp

Details on volunteering at Scienceworks will be made available at a later date.

If you loved Star Wars: the Magic of Myth, previously at the Powerhouse, then you won't want to miss Star Wars: where science meets imagination.

"It is your destiny... to see this exhibtion"

2. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Holy ****. Something is actually coming to Melbourne.

What a shame its going to Scienceworks. Bleh.

3. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm excited!

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I say..."ROADTRIP"

Let's do a bus up to Sydney for the Powerhouse Exhibit, then we can try and talk the Sydney FF into coming down here for the Science works display. :)

5. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Are you serious?

6. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Never been to Sydney-would definately be up for that.

7. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Heck yeah.......it would be an awesome weekend.

We did a trip up for the "Magic of the Myth" exhibit last time tound....best trip ever. :)

Two buses
    20 fans
    WAAAAY too much sugar.

I worked a deal with the "Wake-up Sydney" hostel last time, whole trip including travel, accomadation and enter to the exhibit was $110 per person.

8. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    WOuld other females be going?

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have spoken to the organisers of this event and they are excited as its on a par with the Magic of Myth. Powerdroid is hoping many SW fans will make the journey to Sydney to see this exhibition, as it has cost alot to bring to Australia and should be rather interesting. ;)

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Funny story, I actually attended the Powerhouse magic of myth thingo. I had 8 hours to kill in Sydney on a connecting up to Surfers Paradise for schoolies.

Whole thing was actually kinda underwhelming. Just a lot of costumes and folks taking happy snaps.

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The opening night was pretty cool, props and costumes are what it was all about. It was designed to show us that lot. If you are a dedicated costumer like myself sitting in front of Padmes gown or Obi Wans Robes taking notes is worth the trip. ;) I guess it is like what Obi Wan said....depends on your point of view :p

12. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Should get a SAFF group to do a roadtrip & pick you guys up on the way through....

[face_whistling]

13. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    HEY!

The road trip was my idea.

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So drive through evil and LordVader can toss himself onto your bonnet and you can keep going through to Sydney! Dark Lord Hood Ornament and all!!!!

15. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    So it's just props and costumes?

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Im not 100% sure, PM the Powerdroid he/she (not sure) is more than happy to answer any questions you have, believe me. Very friendly person. ;)

17. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm, road trip...? :D

edit - Oh damn, the dates might not work out for me. :( When exactly in December is it starting, anyone know?

18. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2008
    Current plans are for the exhibition to be opened in early December. Shipping to Australia is just being finalised at the moment, so the opening might even be a little earlier. I'll post the opening date as soon as it is finalised. Don't forget that the exhibition will also be coming to Scienceworks in May/June next year, so if you can't make it to Sydney, you'll still be able to see it in Victoria.

A tip for your road trip planning. If you can bear to wait, consider coming to Sydney in early February, just after the end of the school holidays. It's usually a quiet time at the museum, so there should be less crowds in the exhibtion.

Also, this exhibition is not "just costumes and props". Since it also has a science education focus, it has a highly interactive aspect that allows you to try your hand at building droids, making a tiny maglev, riding a mini-hovercraft and other interesting activities.

19. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Why hasn't there been any advertising? i Haven't heard anything about this.

20. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    They did shoot some TV commercials a few weeks back, don't know if or when they are scheduled to screen though.

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Soon Powerdroid will be letting us, the fan vote on them. They will be going up on You Tube and there will be three....we, as the fans, will vote on the best. The best one will hit the TV screens! So stay tuned.

22. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    If they are anything like the ones I saw from the US, they make fans look like a bunch of geeks.....again.

Let's hope the Aussie versions are good ones.

23. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I'd say so, not all SW nerdy types are guys :)

24. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Yes this was the ultimate interstate trip ever. We were high on chocolate, Coka Cola and energy drinks for the trip up and back. In fact I lost my voice by the end of it from all the laughing and on top of that, I even have a video of it.

A bunch of SW nerds in a bus! You couldn't ask for a better life.

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm getting a headache just imagining it! LOL!! Hope this once comes into fruition, would be awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.