main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars-Wizard of Oz parallels

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkcide, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Leia=Dorothy.Any others?

2. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Or how about C3PO=Tin Man?

3. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Or R2=Toto?

4. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    the emperor = wicked witch of the west?

ewoks = munchkins

yellow brick road = the force?

5. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Yogurt - The WIzard
    Barf - Scarecrow
    Pizza the Hutts droid 'Vinnie' - Flying Monkey

wait all that is Spaceballs....

6. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Chewie=Lion(Han-"C'mere ya big coward!")

7. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Hello, Beru=Aunty Emm? No one saw that, now did they?

Or what about Yoda being the Wizard of Oz?
    You know, first they expect The Wiz to be big and mighty, and he turns out to be just a guy behind a curtain--Luke thinks Yoda's gonna be this big guy macho warrior, and he turns out to be a little green, uh, thing. Not to mention that he doesn't really do anything in the movie. He's like a little green Jedi master behind the curtain.

8. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Before the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie was released Amy jo Johnson(Pink Ranger) said that Mighty morphin' Power Rangers the movie "is a mix between the Wizard of Oz and Star Wars". So if you ever want to see a hybrid of two of the greatest movies ever made, then look no further than....The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

9. HanSolo69

HanSolo69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2003
    JUST WATCH SPACEBALLS...it All fits in perfectly.....

Man...we ain't found $h*t

10. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Haha

"We ain't found ****" is like my favorite part of Spaceballs. I like how they have the Afro pick, lol.

Has there ever been a Spaceballs thread on these boards?

11. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Glinda=Mon Mothma

12. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Come to think of it,Luke makes a better Dorothy than Leia because he was the one who wanted to see places he'd only dreamed about.Big cities(Coruscant),Big mountains(Hoth),Big oceans(Mon Calamari).

13. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I remember when I took my Intro to Anthropology class, the professor compared the two movies. Of course, that was 10 years ago, so I can't remember well. and of course it's not the end-all of comparisons.

But just comparing A New Hope, Luke is Dorothy (since he is the one going on the journey), c-3po is the tin man, r2 is toto. I think Chewie is the Cowardly Lion, and Han is the scarcrow. (I think Obi-Wan is the scarecrow, since both characters had the brains). Vader is the Wicked-witch of the West. Leia, I guess, is Glinda. It's because she appears that the whole journey begins. Whith the Wizard of Oz, she is the one who tells Dorothy to go on the journey to find the Wizard, and in A New Hope, her hologram is what gets Luke looking for Obi-Wan.

of course, the Ruby slippers should repressent something...maybe a lightsaber. but considering how Luke was going to rely on his X-Wing to save the day, when he suppose to use the force, it is comparable to the Ruby Slippers. Dorothy shoud trust her feelings, not the Ruby slippers, to get home.

14. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    If only Jar Jar had a brain.

Oh wait, this is old trilogy. Ok, lemme see...Uh, the Wampa is kinda like the evil talking trees. In a way. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe not.

15. vmhz

vmhz Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2003
    My friend in work is into Oz, as much as any of us is into Star Wars, so we debate this subject all of the time.

Chewy, and the Lion, clearly.

Han, and Tin Man compare in that Tin Man needs a heart (compassion?) and Han Solo is not compassionate, or has no heart, but learns compassion by the end of the movie, we learned last year that compassion is defined as "unconditional love"..

Luke and Scarecrow, both from a farm. Mark Hamill in ANH even looks like the scarecrow.

In Oz, the companions disguise themselves as the witches troops to get through the witches castle, in SW the companions diguise themselves as stormtroopers to get around the Death Star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.