main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Star Wars Woes

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Destructo, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_Kuan_Yew

Lee_Kuan_Yew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Who's going to Malaysia to shop?
    Hmmm?
    I've watched the OT many times already and must say that I will watch it many more times before I kick it.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    $100 for 3 LDs set? Wow, that is a real bargain! :eek:

I gotten the original widescreen ANH and ESB LDs a few years back and it cost me $90+ per LD set. Now still looking for the original widescreen edition of ROTJ to complete the set. :(

So which version of the LDs did you have Mannequin_Skywalker? Original (Movie Poster Cover) or Later Version (Movie Poster with widescreen label on top) or the heads/face versions (Stormtropper, Vader, Yoda)?

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I never knew there were so many of us Singaporeans here...hey, maybe all of you could just give a short description of yourselves? :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. hazellukeyang

hazellukeyang Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Hi Darth_Eagle, I know where is the ROTJ LD. It is at Parkway Parade basement, a Bluemax shop. They have OT LDs. The price is around $70 per LD. My office is around Parkway so I see them everyday but I don't have LD player. If you are interested, I can check the details for you.

Valiowk, as for short description, I maybe the oldest one here. I am 30. The Matrix is my favorite. What else you want to know?

5. Mannequin_Skywalker

Mannequin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2001
    Hello Darth_Eagle,

in answer to your question, it is the version of vader/stormy/yoda picture
    on the trilogy LD set. dunno if it makes any difference but mine is the wide
    movie version (with two black lines top & bottom).

PS. I've also been to your site some time last week and am amazed that
    there is such a dedicated Singaporean (and a girl at that too) who really did
    an amazing job on her URL!! Kudos..i am also considering costuming myself
    next yr for the premiere as i've mentioned before in my introductory 'speech'..
    so your tips on your site are quite invaluable, but i would really want
    an authentic stormtrooper uniform (i know the idea is old) to really stand
    out. Your friend featured in your URL in the DMaul attire is cool i must add!

Thanks and hope for your insights soon.
    Mannequin-Skywalker

6. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Darth_Eagle,
    I was just at Parkway Parade there, yesterday! I didn't know, otherwise I would have helped you check, aiyah!
    I'll go visit your site soon too. :)

hazellukeyang,
    Do you want to get a LD player?
    Pioneer has a LD, DvD, VCD and CD all in one player, I think maybe Phillips too.
    The thing is they've stopped production, so you have to look out for it.

Valiowk,
    You go first... ;)

7. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Hi there, I got the detail of the LD:

$75 per LD. Buy whole trilogy get 20% discount.

Blue Max B1-66/50 Parkway Parade
    Tel: 4407117

Thanks Darth_Destructo, but I just bought my Yamaha DVD player less than a year, have no plan to buy a LD player. :)

8. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    hazellukeyang,
    I just wanted to let you know that if you want to watch any LDs you'd better hurry, I think only two or three companies still make LD players, and they have no line-up for 2002, yet anyways.

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Hazellukeyang, thanks for checking it out the price for me! I'll check it out ASAP. That Parkway Parade is where TRU used to be at and it's after VJC, right?

All my OT tapes (Original or SE) had been damaged by $#@*$!^ house lizard bitting into my pepsi can causing the pepsi inside to damage the tapes behind them so I have to get something to "replace" them.

As for the Home Entertainment System, 3 years ago, LD/CD/VCD/DVD mode was the "in" thing and cost ~$4000-5000 with 5 speakers but now I'm not sure if it's the same or less. I just wish my dad had bought that type of Entertainment System. Save us the need to buy a DVD player. :(

10. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Can a lizard really bite through a can?

11. Mannequin_Skywalker

Oct 18, 2001
    erm...hello everyone.

i know a place that sells the TPM DVD for $43.90 but it is already out of
    stock (i can't divulge the place as someone played me out b4- sorry) unless some of u already know which place i'm talking about. The deal still stands but can anybody tell the uncle (in the Orchard Emerald shop) that they have seen the DVD being sold for $43.90 (don't quote them the place) so he can lower it
    to $43.90 BEFORE starting the discount for bulk purchase as i won't be passing there until maybe next week. Thanks for the favour and for everyone here.

Ok, this is just purely information: i also got a friend who volunteered to bring
    in DVD for $30 (incl. shipping) from Aussieland through his friend but the catch
    is it will take 2 /3 months (dunno if the novelty will wear out by then)..also
    for some of u who might now know: some dvd players are not multi-coded, meaning they can only play DVD from a certain region (eg. US, Asia, Aus etc) but
    there are DVD models which are on sale here that can play all (don't ask me which ones as i don't know)

so which choice would u guys prefer? For me, i just can't wait (choice 1)

12. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh, I know! I know!
    (I'm a DvD expert, self taught and self proclaimed!)

Panasonic, Sony = CANNOT
    Sharp, Pioneer, Noriko = Can + easy to do

Of course, remember that your warranty may not be valid after you modify your set.
    Some sets are bought already modified, but the warranty may be void too. I have a friend who bought one modified, when he went to claim warranty, the company said no dice. When he said that he had bought it like that, they told him, " yeah, but it didn't leave the factory like that!"
    So he took it to another, not "Official" service center, paid a bit more and got it repaired.

As for the DvD, let me as the uncle first, I'll get back to you all next week.

I'm going to see Battle Royal this weekend.
    :D

13. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Darth Eagle, Parkway Parade Shopping Centre is located near East Cost. What are "TRU" and "VJC" stand for?

Darth_Destructo, thanks for the reminder. I think the next generation is DVD's, so I will concentrate on it. By the time I got enough money to buy HiFi and player (last year), DVD is already there. Also means I've never have a chance watching LD. :)

14. HumsupFett

HumsupFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2000
    I definitely know that :

TRU : Toys R'Us

But I guess :

VJC : Victoria Junior College?

Cheers!!

15. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    VJC = Victoria Junior Collage.
    TRU = ?

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Mannequin_Skywalker , are you sure the shop is at Orchard Emerald, not Midpoint Orchard? :D Former Leisure Craft (now Leisure Central, only RPG & CCG Shop)is at Midpoint Orchard and I know there is a VCD/DVD/CD shop at the "1st" level of the building.

Darth_Destructo, yup, some house lizards can bite through the Pepsi cans, especially if its ~15 cm long and black! 3 of my cans put at 2 different opened places had gotten bitten through. 2 of them was even placed in a "tight" spot in the 6 pack box, with a few other 6 pack boxes on top and yet that @%^$#$#@(^&$# lizard still got through somehow and bit the bottom rim of the cans. Now I have to empty all my SW Pepsi Cans and bottles.

hazellukeyang, I found from the map that Parkway Parade Shopping Centre is indeed at Marina Parade, where Toy 'R' Us used to be B4 they move to Marina Square. I'll check it out soon as it been a long, long time since I last went there (and that was just B4 TRU moved years ago). Luckiy, the direct bus to there from my house is still around! ;)

17. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Darth_Eagle,
    Parkway/Marine Parade just hasn't been the same without Toys 'R' Us. The magic is gone.
    The MPH is the only other reason to go there.
    Well, if you want to go to Siglap Center, which is nearby, let me know.

18. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Hahaha, I agree with the MPH thing. I spend most of my lunch time there. It costs me some money.

Wow, I don't know all these toy shops. I only knew there is a Toy Box at Suntec City. I have a couple of The Matrix figures, but I am not very crazy about The Matrix action figures--they are not very well done. For Star Wars, what I really want is a Millennium Falcon (no lego).

19. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    hazellukeyang
    MPH there rules. Once they had this MEGA CD sale, hundreds of CDs for $1.99 - $3.99! True!
    That particular MPH also often has Star Wars promotions. They used to sell the helmets for Imperial Guard, Darth Vader and Boba Fett. The had COmics and some other collectables too.
    I used to be a "Parkway Kid", because my secondary school was Temasek.
    Ah, memories... wait, it's still there! I can go anytime! Ha ha! :D

Mannequin_Skywalker
    Uh, I dunno, seems too long to wait, I thought about it and like taht I'll only get to see it next year.
    I tell you what, my friend may get a DVDR so I'll see whether he can help us.
    I actually just want to watch it again to see if I missed anything the first time round. Maybe it's time to buy the VCD that is sold on table-tops without the Jewel Box.
    ;)

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    MPH used to sell what??? :eek: Oh boy, I wish I had bought my Royal Guard helmet locally few years back. I gotten one from eBay for US$86 plus shipping and it almost bankrupt me (the helmet was cheap but the shipping cost as much as the helmet itself!) and the fustration with the seller's "illness" got me going mad. :( And now I want to look for another in case my painting project fail but none cheap is in sight. Any lobang, anyone?

21. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Want a "SAF" helmet? ;)

22. Mannequin_Skywalker

Oct 18, 2001
    Ha! HA! If not for the fact that i'm liable for reservist, i would've sold
    my uniform AND the helmet to the Karang Guni Man.

Darth_Eagle, the shop i was talking about is where the former Leisure
    Central shop was (it is now called Ground Zero and still dealing in
    hobbies, rpg, ccgs , etc) so i could've mistaken Emerald for Midpoint
    but what the heck.

I personally would give myself till the end of Nov at the very latest to
    get the DVD so i would forgo my other friend's lobang to get it from
    Aussieland (have to wait 2, 3months too long)

23. Lee_Kuan_Yew

Lee_Kuan_Yew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Better don't sell your helmet anytime soon.
    Reservists(NSmen) always go in to fight first.

24. Mannequin_Skywalker

Oct 18, 2001
    hmmm....Mr LKY, by any chance is your real name Eddie Ong (age: 30)??

25. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Maybe it's Chee Soon Chuan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.