main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tatooinesandworm, May 30, 2018.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    [​IMG]
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-women-of-the-galaxy-announced

The women of the Star Wars universe are a diverse galaxy of heroes and villains, renegades and rogues, caretakers and, sometimes, unscrupulous scum.

Now StarWars.com is thrilled to exclusively announce a new book from Chronicle Books that celebrates this eclectic mix of female characters from the films, cartoons, novels, comics, and video games — Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy by Star Wars fan and journalist Amy Ratcliffe, arriving October 2018 in hardcover.

Featuring Leia Organa, Rey, Ahsoka Tano, Jyn Erso, Rose Tico, Maz Kanata, and many more — including characters from Solo: A Star Wars Story and Star Wars Resistance — the book gathers 75 profiles with text by Ratcliffe and all-new, incredible artwork from 18 talented female and non-binary artists. The amazing lineup of illustrators includes Alice X. Zhang, Amy Beth Christenson, Annie Stoll, Annie Wu, Christina Chung, Cryssy Cheung, Eli Baum, Elsa Charretier, Geneva B., Jen Aberin Johnson, Jen Bartel, Jenny Parks, Karen Hallion, Little Corvus, Sara Alfageeh, Sara Kipin, Sarah Wilkinson, and Viviane Tanner. Check out Jen Bartel’s cover below, featuring a striking image of Rey.

“Chronicle Books has put together an all-star line-up of amazingly talented and diverse artists to bring some of the most important, iconic, and, at times, lesser-known characters from the entire Star Wars saga to life as we’ve never seen them before,” says Michael Siglain, creative director of Lucasfilm Publishing. “Everyone involved, from Chronicle to Lucasfilm, is extremely proud of this title, and of its extremely talented creative team. Amy Ratcliff’s insightful commentary combined with the beautiful, haunting, truly awe-inspiring art makes Women of the Galaxy a must-have for fans of the saga and for art collectors everywhere.”

To celebrate this exciting announcement, StarWars.com sat down with author and frequent StarWars.com contributor Ratcliffe to talk about finding inspiration from the saga and celebrating the jaw-droppingly cool women of the galaxy far, far away.

StarWars.com: First — congratulations, Amy! How do you feel now that the world knows about this book?

Amy Ratcliffe: Thank you! I’m relieved, thrilled, nervous — my emotions are all over the place. I’ve been so unbelievably excited about this book. Between digging into stories and my memories to find the very best character moments to highlight and seeing the stunning pieces artists have contributed, I’m just over the moon to share this book with everyone.

StarWars.com: There’s never really been a book like this before — one dedicated to the female characters of Star Wars across mediums. What did you want to achieve with Women of the Galaxy?

Amy Ratcliffe: With Women of the Galaxy, I want to celebrate female characters across the galaxy — from the ones fans know incredibly well, like Leia and Padmé, to lesser known women like Vi Moradi or Aurra Sing. The characters in the book have a range of alignments, professions, and traits, and they all offer so much to the universe. Every one of them is important. I think of the entries as being part fangirl squee and part bio, with background information about the character, behind the scenes facts, and key moments that resonated with me.

My hope is that fans of all ages will find inspiration from the characters in the book and maybe be encouraged to explore more stories set in the Star Wars galaxy.

StarWars.com: With 75 characters featured, it’s a really extensive tome. What was the experience like working on it?

Amy Ratcliffe: When I began research for the book, I truly realized the expansiveness of the universe. I have so many Star Wars books and comics on my bookshelves, and as I pulled them for reference and made notes, I became more appreciative of the variety and depth of stories. Working on Women of the Galaxy gave me an excuse to reread and re-watch my favorite moments and to take the time to consider connections and character arcs, like Rae Sloane’s path from an Imperial naval officer to becoming a Grand Admiral or how Bo-Katan changed in the time between The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. It was a little daunting because I wanted to do everyone justice, but also rewarding.

StarWars.com: Is there an obscure character you were especially excited to highlight?

Amy Ratcliffe: Definitely. There’s more than one, but Kyrsta Agate from the Aftermath trilogy comes to mind. She’s a commander in the New Republic and makes a jaw-droppingly cool decision that helps the New Republic win the Battle of Jakku. It’s been a blast to put characters like Kyrsta under a spotlight and kind of say, “Look! Can you even believe the incredible things this woman has done?!”

StarWars.com: Finally, what does the publication of this book mean to you as aStar Wars fan — and as a writer?

Amy Ratcliffe: This book is a dream come true. I’ve wanted to contribute to this universe since I fell in love with the galaxy far, far away, and I became obsessed with Star Wars because of Ahsoka Tano. I’m so happy a book celebrating her and the female characters in the galaxy with words and new illustrations exists, and it’s truly an honor that I got to be part of it.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yep,I'll have this one as well.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  3. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Something tells me that they aren't going to include any Legends characters in this - which is a shame. However, I am thrilled to see them doing character comprehensive books again and giving official art depictions to Novel Only characters. Very excited to pick this up and share it with my family. I have two budding Padawans who are going to be thrilled going through this book and picking out their favorites.

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I dunno about no Legends characters -- I wonder if a couple might be included, albeit not the likes of Mara or Jaina.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I really hope they include Legends characters too, because when it comes to video games in particular there's only Iden Versio. It would leave that section pretty empty.
    No love for veteran female Star Wars artist Jan Duursema? Shame.

6. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    If they do include any, those are the only ones I'd expect to be in there.

I'm so happy for Amy and this book looks great!

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Unless there's a separate Legends section at the back or something, I don't see Mara being included alongside Rey and co.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    They said there are going to be 75 profiles. To get that many I would assume they would have to dig into the books and comics as well.

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  9. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    They are definitely doing books and comics - the question is will it only be canon. With only 75 profiles, I don’t think Legends characters make it into this book, which is a shame.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

kalzeth likes this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Makes sense. Even if they dig into the books and comics that are only canon, they'd most likely have to include at least a couple of 'blink and you'll miss them' obscure characters in order to meet the quota. That's why I think they should include Mara, Jaina and maybe Bastila from Legends. But we'll see.

kalzeth and tatooinesandworm like this.
  11. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    It's great that we will get pictures of some of the book only characters ! can we have one for the men,driods and aliens next please !

revan772 likes this.
  12. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I hope they do some tweaks to Shmi Skywalker. I believe her after TPM story could be portrayed in a better light than slaver-liked-her-and-married-her.

How about her earning Cliegg's respect and her freedom? and afterwards they started dating.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Can't wait for its sequel....

Star Wars: Bois of The Galaxy.

Besides exploring of the dudes, we even learn more about Star Wars upcoming hero, Broom boy.

Maybe even learn more about Snoke and Knights of Ren.

revan772 likes this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Awesome! I’ll pick this up just for the art alone.

15. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    So - just doing a quick rundown and only counting their "first" appearance, I come up with around 80 for just canon characters. I had a much larger list that had lots of one scene characters from the movies - as well as some minor comic and book characters. However, I made lots of cuts to try to get close to 75. I don't think Legends is making the cut on this book.

Episode 1: (6)
    Padme Amidala
    Shmi Skywalker
    Aurra Sing
    Adi Gallia
    Depa Billaba
    Yaddle

Episode 2: (10)
    Dorme
    Beru Whitesun (Lars)
    Aayla Secura
    Barriss Offee
    Jocasta Nu
    Luminara Unduli
    Shaak Ti
    Stass Allie
    Taun We
    Zam Wesell

The Clone Wars: (13)
    Ahsoka Tano
    Asajj Ventress
    Satine Kryze
    Bo-Katan Kryze
    Talzin
    The Daughter
    Sugi
    Latts Razzi
    Riyo Chuchi
    Numa
    Steela Gerrera
    Cato Parasitti
    Force Priestessess

Episode 3: (1)
    Breha Organa

Solo: (3)
    Qi’ra
    Val
    Enfys Nest

Rebels: (5)
    Hera Syndulla
    Sabine Wren
    Ketsu Onyo
    Seventh Sister
    Governor Pryce

Rogue One: (3)
    Jyn Erso
    Lyra Erso
    Mon Mothma

Episode 4: (2)
    Princess Leia Organa Skywalker Solo Huttslayer
    Brea/Senni Tonnika

Episode 5: (1)
    Toryn Farr

Episode 6: (2)
    Oola
    Sy Snootles

Episode 7: (5)
    Rey
    Captain Phasma
    Maz Kanata
    Jessika Pava
    Lt. Connix

Episode 8: (3)
    Rose Tico
    Paige Tico
    Vice Admiral Holdo

Comics: (11)
    Dr. Chelli Lona Aphra – Vader & Dr. Aphra
    Sana Starros – Star Wars
    Queen Trios – Darth Vader/Star Wars
    Ninth Sister – Darth Vader
    Kare Kun – Poe Dameron
    Suralinda Javos – Poe Dameron
    Chanath Cha – Lando/Darth Vader
    Loo Re Anno – Han Solo
    Evaan Verlaine – Princess Leia
    Eldra Kaitis – Darth Maul
    Zarro - Chewbacca

Books: (14)
    Rae Sloane – A New Dawn
    Ciena Ree – Lost Stars
    Korr Sella – Bloodline
    Greer Sonnel – Bloodline
    Lady Carise Sindian – Bloodline
    Everi Chalis – Battlefront
    Vi Moradi - Phasma
    Nora Wexley – Aftermath
    Kyrsta Agate – Aftermath
    Kaeden Larte – Ahsoka
    Miara Larte - Ahsoka
    Drua – Lords of the Sith
    Kaasha Bateen – Last Shot
    Nakari Kelen – Heir to the Jedi

Video Games: (1)
    Iden Versio

16. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I like your list, though Aayla Secura is originally from legends comics

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't see that as a problem since she appeared in AOTC and RoTS..

18. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I know, but she did first appear in the comics.

spicer likes this.
  19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Good job in compiling a list. I don't want to be misinterpreted here as disliking any of the characters listed above, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the likes of Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Bastila Shan or Jarael (for example) instead of (objectively) obscure characters like (the following are randomly picked) Kaeden & Miara Larte, Loo Ree Anno or Toryn Farr? The four examples from Legends are far more prominent and fleshed out than the four examples from canon and have impacted Star Wars fandom in a significant way. I mean, since the list has to be limited to 75, might as well have 75 characters that are sufficiently developed.

20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Oh this isn’t a preferred list. I would much rather have Legends characters. I just am figuring on the direction from Lucasfilm to be canon only. There were some that are in the list that I was questioning as well. Like would L3-37 count? TC-14 or EV-9D9? I had no idea. This was just a “fast take”. I hope to be wrong, and Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Bastilla, Jarael, (Guri even) all make the book. This list was just to see if 75 prominent enough canon characters would fill it without Legends. Unfortunately, a case could be made for: “They Can”.

kalzeth and spicer like this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I would think L3-37 and TC-15 would be in a Droids of SW book. They might have been voiced as female but weren't actually women characters.

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Oh, I get what you were attempting to do with the list, I was just thinking out loud about the matter.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't mean to be ignorant, but to the best of my knowledge, all droids in Star Wars are genderless despite the masculine (e.g. Threepio) and feminine (e.g. L3-37) programming. If I understand this correctly, it would make little to no sense to have droids in this book.

23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    That’s the way I leaned as well, so off the list they went.

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't think Jaina has a chance to get in strictly because she has Solo attached to her name. The Solo's in the story they are selling now only had one kid.

25. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Great list. Would add Jas Emari from Aftermath as well and maybe the bounty hunter from the Lando comic, Chanath Cha. Would also add Bazine Netal from book and TFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk