main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jun 19, 2014.

1. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Targets locked. When I get time I'll have to see if I'll need to buy a stick to properly enjoy these classics ...

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It is now a requirement to remain unbanned from this board that you play these games.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Bye bye console kids.

4. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    NICE! I just purchased both and am reliving some good times!

5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I need to get these two games. I'll also have to look at getting a joystick again.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    They're playable with a mouse (though it's a bit frantic during dogfights)

7. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah, I'll buy a joystick, more precise that way.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I used to swap between the two - stick for flying, mouse for long distance aiming accuracy (missiles, etc).

LordDarthTyranus likes this.
  9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, it seems the original DOS iMuse versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter are the original floppy versions, not the superior Collector's CD-ROM editions. The Collector's editions had voice acting for the cut-scenes and briefings, plus a higher resolution.

Kinda disappointing that the best DOS versions aren't the ones being sold.

Lots of discussion here, so hopefully GOG will remedy this.

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition/wheres_the_collectors_cdrom_1995

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Ugh, I'd rather dig out my CDs then. iMuse is essential.

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Whoa. I just remembered joysticks for computers. I completely forgot about them. That use to be one of the main peripherals for a computer. You just had to have a joystick.

12. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    I managed to find my old joystick. :D

13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Back in those days, they had serial connections. I still remember my first USB joystick, Logitech Wingman :)

14. LordDarthTyranus

LordDarthTyranus Jedi Master

May 23, 2002
    I just dug out my Sidewinder 2 and start working through X-Wing ... Redemption Run on the second try, woohoo! Lol. Never could beat it as a kid ....

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Now all I need is a new PC...and a new fight stick. :p

16. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'd forgotten just how much fun these games were. I've been playing through X-Wing for the last few days and it's been a blast and it makes me really wish they'd make another sequel. Can you imagine how awesome an X-wing game would be with modern tech? *drools*

17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I really stuffed my first PC up a few times trying to get Xwing to work. It was a Win 95 HP Pavilion and I needed DOS-specific EMS memory. I edited the config.sys to do this and, eventually, Windows performance slowed to a crawl.

I grew up hooked on this and Tie fighter, when XvT landed and I had to use a joystick I was stuffed. Just not accurate enough lol.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Dug out my collector's CD Rom of TIE over the weekend and got it up and running with Dosbox and the D-fend windows GUI. I'm more than a little rusty. Think I'll go back and start with X-Wing...

19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Bought the new versions from GoG :D

20. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm logging in for the first time in ages to post in this thread. I just completed my playthrough of the TIE Fighter re-release. I hadn't played the game since I was 12 years old or so in the late 90's, but this was such an amazing experience I had to log in and share.

First things first, I recommend using the Windows 95 version of the game included in the GOG download, then downloading the audio patch that mostly restores the music and voice acting from the DOS CD re-release version. You'll get the updated graphics/engine and the audio mostly the way it was meant to be heard.

Unfortunately I lost/sold/threw out my old flight stick somewhere in my journey to adulthood. The Windows 95 version requires a flight stick (or a game pad, but I disapprove), so I picked up the cheapest HOTAS I could find and it worked great.

The GOG version works great, and eliminates the need for any clever work arounds on modern OS's. Well worth $10 in my opinion.

I had some concern that my rosy recollection of the game was pure nostalgia. However, the game holds up extremely well. The controls are as smooth as butter. The mission design is incredible (probably my biggest gripe with X-Wing back in the day - some missions were just impossible), and the energy management dynamic is just as fun as it ever was. The story is really enjoyable too (with some dated but funny references to Corus"k"ant and other details that are no longer consistent with canon).

Maybe the most refreshing part of the game was that it pre-dates a lot of modern gaming conventions that cater to the lowest common denominator and focus on cinematic gaming. TIE Fighter perfects the immersion into the Star Wars universe. The game is actually challenging, often requiring multiple attempts before completing a mission. There are no checkpoints during your missions - if you get blown up by a missile 20 minutes into a 22 minute mission, do better next time. No button mashing or QTE's. I do admit that I turned the difficulty down to Easy for Battles 10-13 since I needed to see my family again, and I still died multiple times.

If you've played the game back in the day and are on the fence about hopping back in, do yourself a favor and play through again. And if you've never played it before, don't worry about how it holds up with modern gaming or how it controls. You need to play the game. If you can deal with dated graphics, you'll be fine. The game is close to perfect.

Shame on LucasArts for never doing anything with this franchise after XWA. I look at the great response to the GOG re-release and the funding for Star Citizen and it seems obvious that there is still strong demand for these games.

I'm seriously considering revisiting X-Wing, but I may need to rebuild some capital with my family first.

Jedi Daniel, Nobody145, jp-30 and 2 others like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Now that's how you make a comeback post.

jp-30 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There are Danlings?

23. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Scary, huh? Don't forget teh blues, kids.

jp-30 likes this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Jedi Daniel and TrandoJedi like this.
  25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I love GOG, but I haven't gotten any of the games yet because I'm waiting for one of their awesome sales! Crazy had much more has been added, and more is coming Thursday!