main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Communications' started by HL&S , Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I'd rather ban non Mod/Admins from replying in red than removing the Stars.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Given that you are 'rewarded' with stars as your post count increases it is patently ridiculous to claim that bringing back the stars is not motivated by a perceived need to increase posts, even if you never admitted it.

Yes, it is patently ridiculous if one does not agree that correlation = causation. Thank you for that.

Folks, the stars were brought back for the anniversary. IGN just took a few more months than we expected. That's the whole story.

If you don't believe me, become a mod and find out. Gry, you didn't believe us--see for yourself! :p

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I never said I didn't believe you, I just said that several people has stated the boosting of posting as a reason to keep the stars around.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Nostalgia.
    It's easy to forget that we wanted them back for the anniversary (just like last year) when it took 2 more months, but you'd think that'd be obvious.

What it does or does not do to user activity is secondary, if that. And I think it'll be difficult to up your postcount just to get the next star in a JC this slow. We'll notice. Well, the JCC mods will notice. [face_whistling]

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, fine, but like anything brought back (ie: anniversary banners, old mods using their old colors) for the anniversary, it eventually goes away..........................hopefully.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Nobody was boasting, until several people made the asinine assumption that that is what would happen. I think you'll find that anyone that made those statements were being sarcastic.

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Uh, I said boosting, not boasting. ;)

8. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, the way you worded it, I though it was a typo like below, no worries. :)

"I just said that several people has stated the boosting of posting as a reason to keep the stars around."

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, I think I'm at the point personally where I'm finding the fact that stars have EVER caused this much drama patently ridiculous. It's a message board. There are all kinds of things on this site that you might like, or you might not. The banner may have too many Jedi, or not enough Jedi, too many "headshot" banners, not enough new SW icons, louder color schemes than some like, certain posters using manual sigs or text colors, whatever.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself how much any of this is REALLY affecting your enjoyment of the site. Personally for me, if it's not something that's affecting system performance or straining my eyes or something along those lines, it's fluff, and fluff on a message board isn't worth getting THAT riled up about. State your opinion, yes fine. But to belabor it like I'm seeing here is pretty sad -- or funny. It depends on how you look at it I guess. But it sure isn't tragic.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    If Rhonda was a Pokemon, I'd choose her.

Yes, I would!!!!:D

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    And you've obviously ad blocked them as well SO WHAT'S THE FREAKIN PROBLEM?! [face_skull]

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, we're looking into ways to make them less blatant eyesores. We've discovered we may have the power to make some changes in that regard after all.

We'll say more when we figure more out.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I demand you figure it out now.

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I demand world peace.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Demand or Not Demand?

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This might just be the funniest thread in the history of the JC.

Looking forward to reading some of the completely absurd posts that will be coming in this thread helps get me through work.

Thanks, guys!

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Yeah, you're right, stars haven't caused that much drama (and I do have the Ad Blocker Plus, which has enabled me to block the stars without blocking the banners & icons), but for me, it's also about the principle of the thing. We don't need them, but there they are. Also, the Ad Blocker Plus doesn't block posts about stars ( :p ). However, I do have a pretty good sense of humor about myself, and realize when I've been too much of annoying ******* (I can laugh at myself, ya know), so take that for what you will. I like this place too much (and much of the people that make it what it is) to be bothered that much over the stars (even if they are here to stay).:)

18. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    But you just said more, so clearly you've already figured out what more means! Stop with the contradictions, man! [face_plain]

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If only.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    We don't need freaking coloured text either, but we have to live with those that abuse that every damned day.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, in the same vain that the stars really don't cause that much drama, the red (on 99.9% of stylesheets used) isn't hard to read, unless y'all have really, really sensitive eyes (that, and it's something people just love to hate).:p

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Your lack of sensitivity towards people with vision issues is shocking and disgusting.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I have posted all I need to have posted on that issue................this thread about the stars, anyway.

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Personally, I think you've posted all you need to post about your opinions on the stars issue as well.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree, 100%.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.