main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starbucks: The Literature Edition

Discussion in 'Literature' started by solojones, Nov 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Rocky Mountains. Actually it isn't all THAT bad outside. . . .

2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    The only thing is that I'm not a formally trained teacher. I act as a tutor, but it's given me some great experience.

3. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    I started out as a tutor of sorts: I gave my first flute lessons when I was in high school. I also put in three years teaching primary grades, though. There are few things in this world that outshine a kid's eyes when he/she suddenly looks up at you realizing, "I can read!"

4. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    I used to be a biology tutor in college.

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Just us 3 in the thread, err, Starbucks?

EDIT: Oh Winds is here too.

6. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    I never left. I'm trying to understand why you call it "Oz."

7. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    It's just short-hand. Quicker than writing Australia every time.

I know that feeling. I tutored maths and chem while inhigh school, and now tutor chem, bio, anatomy here at uni. It's the best feeling.

8. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Kadue: My professor asked me to tutor a student for a semester. It really didn't pay for the cost of making an extra round trip to the school to tutor someone for an hour. I felt obligated to help a failing student.

9. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
  10. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Forgive me if I'm a little slow coming back tonight -- I'm also reading an excellent book name of CONQUEROR'S LEGACY, feeling quite red-faced that it took me so long to get around to it. In a word, "Wow."

11. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I don't have a job. I feel kinda underage here.

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Kath- Don't worry, I'm trying to post on 5 different boards across three sites, organise what I'm doing tonight with my friends, learning how to use another site, and make my room look clean.

Thankfully tutor here is easy as I live on campus, so uni is a short walk. But even better is that I'm a tutor for the residences, meaning that I only tutor people living here. It's great. We have certain nights that we are on, and last week I got paid for doing an assignment that I'd been putting off.

13. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Kadue -- "Paid for doing an assignment" -- that's great. It's just about how I felt when I was asked to write text for a travel book on the northern U.S. Rockies. Like writing a term paper and getting paid for it.

The book's pretty, too. But I didn't take any of the pictures. :)

14. thegoddesspandora

thegoddesspandora Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2001
    1.Who is your favorite OT character? - Luke and Leia
    2.Who is your favorite EU character? - Let's see any of the Wraiths, Callista, Iella Wessiri, and Mirax
    3.How's you get your screen name? It's from one of my favorite books The Queen of the Damned by Ann Rice. Pandora is a 2 thousand year old vampire from Rome. I would have liked to use just pandora but it was taken ?¼
    4.Who is your favorite EU author? - Arron Allston
    5.What other series do you like? -
    6.Do you like butter or margarine better? - I gave up dairy (let's see how long that lasts)
    (you know, there always has to be a truly enlightening question)
    7.Tell us a bit more about you. - I am getting a BA in Computer Graphics with a minor in art.
    8.Do you like your coffee black? - I don't drink coffee

15. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Kathy -- It's still a nice book. :)

Kadue: At least you don't have to commute to school like I did. During my college years, I lived in a rural area in upstate New York and drove for slightly more than an hour to get to school.

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Hunter- ouch. I've never lived more than 10 minutes from school/uni.

Welcome thegoddesspandora, pull up a seat and grab a hot choc if you don't like coffee.

17. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I am planning on going to the the US Air Force Academy in Colorado. That or KSU, ISU, or KU.

18. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Oh my! I need to head out -- I know this is going to sound a little odd, but I need to listen to the second half of a basketball game on the radio. My kiddo's HS is up for the state championship tonight! No, he isn't playing on the team -- he doesn't even go there any more -- but m'hubby is directing the pep band, and I'd thought the game wasn't going to be on, since I turned on the radio an hour ago and didn't find it . . . but evidently it simply started late, because I just checked in and it's halftime -- our team's down by 6 points -- I'll try to be back later!

Ah motherhood.

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Don't worry navy, I'm in second year and have only just gotten my first job. (And my second cause I need the money)

Cya later Kathy.

20. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    KN -- I got to take a tour of the USAFA when Matthew was a junior. COOL place! But wow, is it a tough place to get into. Good luck!!

Back later --

21. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    My highschool lost to Topeka in semi-finals last night.

22. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    KN: I'm sorry to hear that.

I only listen to radio stations while driving my car. When I'm home, I play Internet "radio" stations.

23. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I've got the radio going most of the time because it gives a good mix

24. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    I wish more radio stations would simulcast to the Internet. Hmm... I wonder which team is ahead.

Kadue: I finally visited the bookstore today. I picked up a copy of Shadow Hunter and a National Public Radio guide to classical music. I hope the Star Wars book is a good read. I haven't had an opportunity to look at it yet.

25. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Hi alls --

Well, we got second place in the state. Disappointing for the moment; nothing to complain about in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.