main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starbucks: The Literature Edition

Discussion in 'Literature' started by solojones, Nov 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I too appoligize, THX and I just do this. Anyway, I was at B&N today... I was looking for SW books, but there were NONE! There were TONS of Star TREK, but that's just a joke. I suppose it's because they are so awesome. But they DID have two waist-high stacks of "Balance Point" which where going fast.. would have gotten one, but I haven't read any of the other NJO books yet.

2. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    oh oh oh..you have crown?? i want it..but then again..maybe not ..too much work..can't read it as of right now..bad bad bad...

sigh.

hiya QGT and JT...

3. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    <Yawns> Mornin (well it is here)

Can someone explain this election to me - not a big news watcher cos just now it's all about how our Queen Mother (Oh how I hate her) broke her coller bone or how Prince Harry chipped his thumb...

Who is winning this election? One minute I hear Bush, then something about a recount in Florida. It's so confusing for a simple minded Brit like myself

4. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    well, basically we don't have a president, because the votes in florida are tooo close to count, therefore there are numerous recounts to make sure everything has been counted properly..

but there are a lot of other things going on..which involve legal action...and well.its crazy..

but hey welcome...if you want to talk politics head over to our home away from home..in classic tril..or we can keep the convo here..

(but we might want to talk about books...so our franchise here doesn't meet the same fate it did in 3D)....

5. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Jade: I'm delighted that Balance Point is a New York Times bestseller. While it's true that having "Star Wars" printed on the front cover gives it an advantage, not every author can write a good Star Wars book. I remember a discussion thread from way back that speculated how other famous authors would write a Star Wars book. I hate to think what Stephen King would do with the Vong. I'm relieved that the violence in BP was less graphic than in the first hardcover.

One other thing I'd like to say is that not every author writes books that I can read twice. IMHO, authors that write books I can reread are priceless.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I was at B&N the other day... They only had Balance Point... no other SW books.... Which is great.... but I haven't read any other NJO books yet! Alas, my boor Barnes and Noble!

Bush is ahead, and will win. Go Bush.
    If the dems could just accept defeat, it would be over... they are just trying to extend the inevitable.

7. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    you know what hunter?

i agree with you ..there are very few authors out there that can weave a tale, that no matter how many times you read the novel..you find something new...Starwars authors...so far, it's been Zahn, Stackpole, and Kathy Tyers..(and i'm not jus saying it cause she visits..) but honestly...

other then that JK Rowling,, the Harry Potter..i read those books at least onece a month since i bought them..and each time there is something new...

8. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    In my case it's actually very few books that I wouldn't read twice, because I had so much trouble with them in the first place - CotJ (I did reread about half of it once while board at my summer job), Darksaber, PoT, The Han and Lando adventures. Out of the NJO, I've read VP and DT twice, and have meant to read AoC and BP again, just haven't had the time

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I can't say that I read entire books twice anymore (my family would start a revolt), but my favorites don't spend much time on the shelf. They're usually lying around where I can get to them easily. (BP hasn't even made it to the shelf yet, LOL!)

10. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    yea..i just brought the books i read often here to school...Vision of the fUture being one ...that i take offf..the thing that stinks is that i usually make sure i have time to read..but shcool is dragging me down..

i can't reread as much as i would like to..

it has taught me ummm patience..i guess..
    priya

11. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Jade: You'll find time during the holidays to read. When I started working, I quickly discovered how much time students have. These days, I have less time to read than when I was in school. If I want to read a good book, I have to decide between sleeping and reading. I'm hoping to catch up on my reading during the holidays that are coming up.

Solojones: I'm rereading BALANCE POINT. Hardcover books are more durable than paperbacks. Turning pages tends to wear out paperbacks more quickly than hardcovers. If you can, buy the hardcover edition, just in case it goes out of print. My library only bought one hardcover of TRUCE AT BAKURA. I noticed that it was not on the shelf and asked my librarian to obtain a replacement copy. Because the hardcover edition of TRUCE is no longer available, the library bought the paperback. It would have been smart for them to have bought a second copy of TRUCE because it's such a popular book. This will cost the library more over the long run because that paperback book is going to wear out soon.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hunter: Thanks for the tips, I'll get BP the next time I'm up there, if I ever GET up there....

I can read Chricton's books many times! I just got Timeline, and I can't wait to read it (after I'm done with my current SW book, that is:)

13. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    solojones..

Timeline kicks butt..it is by far one of his best, it was awesome..great wunderbar..etc.etc etc..i won't say anything that might spoil it for you...

yea..i can't wait for holidays..this week is hectic ..though so even if i do get Crown i will be unable to read it...

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't gotten up to B&N yet.... it's like 20 mins. from my house.... but they are putting in one of it's competitiors like 5 mins. from my house soon, so that will be good.

I am reading 'Heir' and I was wondering.... when Luke is trapped out in space after ezcaping Thrawn's cruiser, why doens't he just use the force to fly his ship away? In fact, why doens't he always fly with the force? We know he can control other ships with the force...

and don't say because it woudn't be interesting. I know that, but I want to know logically!

15. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    ok i was trying to say something earlier...

i can't remember exactly what was going on with luke after he escaped thrawn..is this the time near joruus c'boath's place?? or is this the one where he was stuck in space...

If it is the latter..i think because this was a time where he had just become a jedi ..he was still dealing with what his next step was...i don't know if he had figured otu how to find where he was by using the force...and i don't think the force could do anything about fixing the x-wing.....

does that make sense??

16. thxDARTH

thxDARTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    Jade, remember the Force is created by all living things. So, as for Lukes X-wing, when he was escaping from Thrawn's tractor beam he damaged several components in his X-wing and it was not able to fly. The Force cannot be used to fix components on a ship. That's not how it works.

So he was stuck, and in Jedi hibernation, until Mara Jade found him with her Force abilities.

I hope this makes sense
    Let me know k? :)

17. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    yea thx that is what i was trying to say with the last line..but i neglected to elaborate..

thanks!!

18. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Jade: your welcome! anytime! :)

19. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    1. Luke
    2. Oh geez; Um, probably Gaeriel or Baron Fel
    3. I thought all the handmaiden names were pretty so I picked one plus my fav. number
    4. Zahn and Kathy, also A. Allston
    5. Harry Potter (I can't believe I'm only the second person to mention them- they're awesome)
    6. Um...probably margarine
    7. I have hazel eyes
    8. I get my caffiene from alternate sources (tea drinker- woohoo!)

Kathy, when you say the Zion Chronicles do you mean Vienna Prelude, etc. by Brock and Bodie Thoene? They are an amazing series!

20. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    hey sache8 welcome to Starbucks Lit..

have some coffee...
    i got crown of fire..not even pickingit up until friday oh no HUNTER(no yelling) i'm not supposed to be posting am i...dang tests..

bye bye

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Welcome! As the, er, Manager here I give you a free coffee...

He he, I take pride in knowing I started this *looks around* So let me hang onto my false thoughts, K?

THX, I didn't mean to FIX the ship, just to move it! Or Darth for that matter... why can't he do that? Huh? Huh huh huh! Because, he can't! Ha ha ha! Han is better, ha ha ha!

22. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Solojones your ignorance to the workings of the Force is impressive. Just like Han, you have no idea how the Force works. Among other things, the Force allows the Force wielder to reach out and grab and control an object, not fix them. When controlling people the Force influences the weak minded (OB1 said that) As for other Force beings, a Force user can sense other Force sensitive beings by creating a ripple in the Force. For a Jedi or Force sensitive being it is almost impossible to hide from Ripples. Only a few Jedi have mastered this.

And as far as controlling a ship with the Force, Luke actually did when he became more confident of his abilities to use the Force in "The Courtship Of Princess Leia." He was able to fly the Falcon as good or better than Han ever did. Even Han agreed. He used the Force to fly the Falcon and save Han from Gethzerion and the Nightsister witches.

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Someone said we have no president.

We have a president,just no president elect.We don't have the *next* president(who wouldn't be sworn in 'till January anyway so we *should* have enough time to sort this out.

Now Gore want's to count pregnant CHADs(not people).....what the heck does that stand for?

As far as I know they're votes that have little dimples by Gores name,so those votes*might've* been for him,but the holes might not have been punched all the way through........(

Now the only reason your media is covering this,is to make fun of us right?;););)

Believe or not we get no news about your country!NO NEWS!I'm not kidding!You think I'm exaggeraing but it's true!People from the US can verify this!

The last news we got was the Queen breaking her collarbone.An before that Princess Diana dying......any scandalous affairs?

To tell you the truth I only remember hearing anout the Queen on Jay Leno......

Now here is a question....

Where does the Royal Family get it's income?I've always wondered this but was too lazy to look it up.;)I mean do you guys pay taxes just to keep up the Royal family for the tourists?

As far as I can remember,they can pass minor laws,but nothing else.......

So are they just basically leeching of the Brittish people?

24. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    welcome Mathew..i'm a little confused by your post..oh well..

and i'm sorry to disapoint you the person that is better than Han..is ANAKIN..yes ANakin..no not the solo kid but the good turned evil turned good guy..who isn' flashy or whiney...or in love with a ship...(an object .)

just eggingyou on..but comeone lets talka bout books..

i finished my test and am going to pick up crown of fire..i'm excited..too bad i can't read it until saturday..and even then i don't have THAT much time!!

sigh..who hates school raise your hand (and work ..)

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    OOps!

My post is in respones to Gav Daragons first post at the top of this page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.