main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starbucks: The Literature Edition

Discussion in 'Literature' started by solojones, Nov 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    i'm sorry i sound very pushy...

forgive me???
    solojones--trust me ..C'Boath is mentioned later on in the books..he is intergral to umm the Last Command..(which kicks butt by the way)

thx and JediBen...

k
    ummlets see if i can explain the Ender books in a nutshell..Amazing..(iknow that doesn't help u)

ok the basic plot of Enders Game is that Earth is fighting (and mind me i havn't read it in a while so i may get a few details wrong) an alien race called the buggers...and basically they know that in one of the kids there is a "Messiah" type person that will bring the Buggers down...

At the same time on Earth there is a kind of 2 kids only rule going, where the eldest two are worth something and anythgin after that isn't worth much...(i think)

Ender is a third child..and he is tested, and some stuff happens and he ends up to be brilliant..(there is a lot of other stuff going on too..like his brother and sister, are using the "net" to send philisophical writings out to earth, and Ender is their opposition,with neither knowing the truth.)......anyways so Ender is brilliant and he ends up going to a battle school in the sky..where he is tested..and they have this whole military squad kinda thing going on...and then..some stuff happens..and it really gets exciting...

and if i say anymore i will end up telling you the ending..

All the books after that ummm..lets see--they get a lot more complicated, and involved..i really should go back and reread...but they are great trust me..
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

then there are parallels
    Ender's Shadow (helps if you read the others first)
    and apparently a new book is coming in 2001 called (sequal to Shadow)
    Shadow of the Hegemon

ok i have to stop talking..

someone else say something pleaseE!!!!

2. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Jade: Are you still around? I've got CROWN OF FIRE in my hands and I'm rereading it in front of the computer.

3. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Jade: I'll start with discussing the cover art for CROWN OF FIRE. Bear in mind that I'm currently rereading it. :)

CROWN OF FIRE has a cover that looks like it belongs to another book. It's got this "I'm drawn on somebody else's computer" look. It could be that BALANCE POINT raised my expectations too much. I asked my Jedi Knight about the cover for CROWN. He likes it, but says that it's too dark.

I'm glad they kept the same style of metallic letters for the title, and the eclipse is cool. An annular eclipse is known as a "crown of fire," but the cover shows a total eclipse instead. I also have a problem with the portrait. I didn't like the way the artist sketched it. The dress is all wrong. The first version of the cover for CROWN was much better, but it was changed at the last minute. In a way, the change is good, because there was a major spoiler on the front cover.

It's a good thing that I don't judge a book by its cover. It's an excellent story. The FIREBIRD series keeps getting better. I love reading Kathy's novels.

I love the cover art for FIREBIRD, FUSION FIRE, and BALANCE POINT. CROWN OF FIRE has good artwork on the cover, but there's room for improvement.

~ Hunter ~

4. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    ok the cover..

well.let me go get it..just a sec..

ok so i now have all of them..

ilike the cover..the one thing i don't like is the frontal view of her face.it worked well to the side with a profile..and this drawing made her look kinda wierd...

the eclipse was pretty..and i liked the background and metallic stuff..

i wanna know what was the cover that gave away the spoilers? what did it have before??

And are there more to the Firebird trilogy??
    do you know if there is going to be antoher??

5. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I'm on chapter6 of CROWN. I saw the other cover on the Bethany House site and the only difference I can see is that she's wearing a different dress and the headpiece thing. The picture on the BH site is kinda small, so I'm probably missing something.

6. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Hope: Finish reading CROWN OF FIRE first. Amazon.com has a blowup of the original cover. You won't know what it is until you read far enough through the book to figure it out. I can explain it to you later. Send me a PM when you've finished reading it. I'd prefer not to post major spoilers here for the time being.

Jade: Since you've read the entire book, take a look at the larger version of the cover if you're curious. If you don't see it, let me know, and I'll PM you.

7. thxDARTH

thxDARTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2000
    Hunter and Jade: I know this isn't the book you two are discussing, but have you two read "I, Jedi"? If so, what are your opinions of it please?

8. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Hunter: Thanks. I'll wait until I'm finished with the book (just started ch8).

9. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    THX: It's been such a long time since I last read "I, Jedi" that I don't remember anything specific. All I can tell you is that I enjoyed reading it. I hope this helps. :)

10. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Thanks Hunter. I was going to read it along time ago but, I just didn't get into it because it is written in "first Person" format. I will have to though. :)

11. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    thx..i recommend reading it..BUT!! i have a question have you read KJA's Jedi Academy??

well both items take place at the same time...soo..it might help to read it first..

the first person is very new nd refreshing..i liked it...

Hunter
    i like the old cover better..but i don't think i'm catching the spoiler...maybe its just me...

kk
    time to get dressed for class
    p

12. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Jade: Yes Jade, I read the Jedi Academy, all three volumes. It involved the original characters, that's why I read it before "I, Jedi."

13. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Excellent..then you're in good shape

I, Jedi clears up and "fixes" alot of stuff that mighthave seemed OFF in the Academy trilogy.

14. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Thanks Jade :)

15. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    hey...ok
    so how's isevryone?? idd we lose a train of thought here??

ok here's my question did any of you when you were kids (or if you are kids now like me) ..ever read Madeline L'engle or the Narnia chronicles??

i love a Wrinkle in time..great series..

i'm starting the narnia i was wondering what you thought of them..

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I'm back! After a trip and basketball games that I play in, I'm finally back!

I finished Heir and am halfway through Dark Force. I am writing my own short story (SW of course) but I can never really write short, so it's 15 front and back written pages, and there's still alot left :)

any people have any suggestions? I'll tell you what it's about if you have any.. all you wonderful lit guro's...

_solojones

17. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Solo Jones: Welcome back! I'm glad you're enjoying Dark Force. I love that book.

18. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    yea!
    hey solojones!!

welll if you want some advice i don't mind giving it...

19. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    hunter..

he he so we discussing???

we can always disscuss starfighters when you're done!!

i'm game

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, I still think THX has some explaining to do about the Luke flying his x-wing with the force thing... he he, he's aluded to it :)

I would like to discuss mole miners... I mean, i get what they are but no, not really...

It's one of those little things that bugs me...

And also, slave cicuits.... can the Imps potentially tap into a slave cicuit and take over control of ships with slave circuits? Or is that impossible?

Another little thing.....

21. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    <sigh> I give up. Would someone please explain, at a morons level, to solojones, the workings of the Force and why Luke couldn't fly his X-Wing after eluding Thrawn?

22. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    He couldn't fly his X-Wing after eluding Thrawn because it was broken. The workingas of the force is a bit more complex.

23. thxDARTH

Aug 13, 2000
    Thank you Jarik

24. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Sure, to get more specific though it was broken because Luke used a maunever to get out of a tractor beam. Using this maneuver always blows out some vital part of the X-Wing but it was the only way for him to escape.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know, but he can move ROCKS but not METAL? no sense....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.