main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starbucks: The SW Misc Edition, 2002

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Commander Antilles, Jan 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toshi Station

Toshi Station Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 1999
    Weekend's almost here!

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Our area is about to have its first Fan Force meeting, which I pretty much helped to create. I live about 45 minutes east of Baltimore, Maryland. And now something's come up at the last minute and I can't go.

3. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Baltimore Rocks..i went to the Arena to see U2 back in October :) it was grrrrrreat!

sapient..ahh ok that's what i thought...:) they changed it before i was old enough to notice...

4. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    1992 was the last year that both Olympics were in the same year. Then in 1994 they had the winter olympics, then the Summers in '96 in Athens, then '98 Winters in Nagano, etc.

5. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    REMINDER! REMINDER! REMINDER!

John Williams is conducting live tonight during the opening ceremonies. It's a wonderful opportunity to see him direct if you've never had the chance before.

John Williams Returns to the Olympic Stage

They decided to make the Olympics occur in alternate years so that southern hemisphere countries could also host them. Argentina and Chile would love to host the winter games but their winters occur during June, July, August. Under the old schedule it would have been impossible for them to do so.

6. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I'm probably going to miss them. I think I've double-booked myself for plans this evening. You know things get pathetic when you have to schedule meals with friends. And now I'm looking at the prospect of being in TWO shows this semester, working at least THREE days a week, seeing my friends NONE of the time...

But I did manage to finally have a lunch date this afternoon. [face_love]

AND! I mailed my cover letter and resume to the company I want to work for this summer.

It's been a good day. :)

7. callista35

callista35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 1999
    Tara: My you look so grown up now. ;) :) I hope it works out with the summer work.

Sapient: I'm sorry you won't be able to go to the meeting. :( Commander Antilles sent you here? Was this recently? Unfortunately, we ticked him off a week or two ago and he hasn't been here since. If you see him, please tell him we're nice again, and to please join us. :)

What is curling? You say "shuffleboard on ice", but I envision watching someone work out their biceps.

Kat, you shut down ABC's comments page? That's too funny! I can see their webmaster shaking his head, Oh no, not Kat again! Make it stop! I'll just have to shut down the page ... :D

Toshi, yep, the weekend is here! What are you going to do with it?

Ben, good advice! (your signature)

8. cycojedi

cycojedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    i used to be a barista. honest.

9. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Thanks, callista35! :)

10. Toshi Station

May 5, 1999
  11. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    Hi!

You probably don't remember me either, but I was involved in an early Starbucks thread for a little bit. Seeing this new thread has given me the confidence to come back. :)

1. What do you think of the title of this thread?
    Um... I would have put Star Wars Starbucks.

2. What aims do you have for the rest of this year?
    -Keep my grades up
    -Finish some fanfics
    -See AOTC!

3. Where do you see yourself a year from now?
    In my junior year of high school, and driving! :)

4. Name one thing that you'd think would make the world a better place.
    Acceptance and understanding between people.

5. This isn't really a quiz question, but find an amusing joke or picture to post.
    The Pupils' History of the World

6. Describe one place you've been this year, and what you thought of it.
    I went to Indianapolis, and I thought it was a lot friendlier than SoCal because all the buildings were smaller and spaced farther apart.

7. Name three members from Starbucks who are no longer with us, for whatever reasons.
    Hunter of Winds, Sasha, Obi Have

8. Which of those members do you most wish to see return?
    Sasha.

9. Pick one Starbuckian and describe them in three words.
    Sorry, but I've been out of it for so long I couldn't tell you...[/b]

10. And of course, we must have at least one Star Wars related question to finish this poll off with.
    AOTC: Will it be good or bad? Will Lucas bring us a film worthy to stand alongside ANH or ESB?

Yes. I think he will.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    A big 'ol hearty Starbucks welcome to DarthSapient, Cycojedi, and Barbara Fett.

Cycojedi: A barista? You're kidding, right? If not, you're hired. Now fetch me a quint-shot Caramel Macchiato...and HURRY!!!! My low-level caffeine light is blinking! (Oh, never mind- That's my low-level alcohol light that's blinking.)

Kat: I know what you mean about being an Olympic junkie. This is the only time when I give a rat's tuckus about sports. And I also know how you feel about the crappy coverage our networks provide. Can you say drama queens?? Man- just show the games and keep the teasers to a minimum!

JD: Speaking of Olympics- You Aussies win the "Best Opening Ceremonies" competition!!! With the exception of the last 15 to 20 minutes of the ceremonies, the Salt Lake City ceremonies pretty much sucked. I guess it goes with my theatrical theory: The British created theatrics, the Americans built upon it, and the Australians perfected it.

T: Did you say "date"? Hmmm.... gotta catch you in a chat room soon.

BTW- it finally snowed here on Wednesday. Five inches of pristine powder pretty much shut the city down. By Thursday afternoon, it was all gone. What a pity. And this was the best snow we've had in 14 years.

Nite, y'all.

-Tim

13. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    heya Barbara...

AHHH John Williams conducting was awesome!!

'96 summer was in Athens :) i could have sworn they were somwhere else...espe. since they'e in Athens in 2004...

*shrug*....

The opening ceremony was really coool..i loved it..

but i'm sorry..i feel bad about this now..but i was born in 1982..too young to really understand the last leg of the cold war...not even alive in 1980 when the USA beat the SU in hockey..so when they announced the guy who lit the torch i was like HUH!! and everyone else around me who was born in '79 or '81 was like HUH? as well...

(except my roomie who knows everything about hockey)

now that i know who they were it hink they were a cool choice..:)

but i feel bad taht i didn't like them at first!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

PS ( he he i worked the Career Fair at school on wednesday b/c the National Museum of American HIStory came in and was advertising internships and jobs..so i came and talked to people interested..apparetnly they were so happy i helped that the director wants to send me something...i'm very very curious...) this is a good thing :)

esp. since i'm going back there for another internship :)
    later i have so much to read and so little time!!

Priya

14. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    BARBARA FETT!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back, sweetie! Do you even remember me, LOL? :)

Hmm...it's 4 in the morning...hmm...

No, QGT, it's no big deal. Just hadn't gotten any "alone" time with someone yet since I've been back, that's all. You know who I'm talking about. <ducks and covers> Don't kill me...please. :)

Sleep good. Bye now.

15. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Hi Starbuckians! :)

callista: That's a very funny list on the last page. Love the last one! [face_laugh] What do you know, talking about SW can be educational! :D

16. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I watched the Olympic opening ceremonies last night. Although having the U.S. hockey team from the 1980's games light the torch was special, it felt a little less spectacular than some of the lightings of recent past.

Sadly enough, I had to come in to work today for half a day. But the good thing is, I'm getting time and a half for it.

And this is curling. You have a person who essentially bowls this stone with a handle and slides it across the ice. The broom handlers sweep the ice to control the direction. And from there, you get various points for landing in certain areas or knocking opponent's stones out of the game.

[image=http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/photos/reuters/feb98/Brits21198.jpg]

17. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Welcome back Barbara. The names may have changed a bit since you were here last but we're still a motley crew.

We had a money bet at work who would light the Olympic flame last night and I guessed Mike Eruzione. I am so good. *impresses self even* I didn't think they'd bring out the whole Miracle on Ice team though. That was just SOOOOO cool. Most of those guys are from this area and I know a couple of them. It was great to see.

I thought the stadium setup was the best I'd ever seen. I liked it that they brought the athletes in first, allowing them to watch the ceremonies too. The Native American blessings were very cool and of course, so was John Williams and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But everything else was very ho hum. The other part that rocked was when the NYPD officer got up and sang God Bless America. That guy is as good as Pavarotti. I said to my roommate, "Imagine what he sounds like in the shower in the morning."

My grandparents lived in Utah for about 60 years and my grandfather was on the original committee in Salt Lake that tried to bring the games there. They started bidding around 1970 and kept losing out. My grandfather died in 1992 but he would have been very very happy and proud that they are finally hosting them.

Watching the scenery of the mountains made me suddenly miss it there very much. It's been quite a few years since I've been.

My condolences to Great Britain on the death of Princess Margaret. I watched a Jubilee retrospective of the queen on Wednesday night and they spent a bit of time talking about Margaret. It sounds like she had a very disappointing life, never getting to do what she really wanted to.

18. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    aww i didn't even know she died...

you know what hte other cool thing is?

the Prince of Monoco participating in the games :)

hw time

19. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    I missed the ceremonies, but I think it's cool that they had one of the '80 hockey team light the flame, even though I'm also too young to remember it.

20. callista35

Jan 9, 1999
    Thanks for the pic and the explanation, DS. I'll watch for it.

We also liked the Native American blessings. Dave and I thought it was weird that they would follow that with the settlers coming in, pushing them off their land, wiping out their bison herds, making/breaking treaties, massacreing them in droves, and finally pushing them off to live destitute and starving on reservations, while the settlers had a frolicking hoe-down.

21. Toshi Station

May 5, 1999
    Not much going on here tonight.

22. callista35

Jan 9, 1999
    Nope. I was hoping to be watching the Olympics now, but it's not on. :(

23. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, Tara, I remember you :)

I saw "Big Fat Liar" today. I liked it a lot. Great story idea.

24. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    OMG! OMG! OMG! VANITY FAIR people! Have y'all seen Vanity Fair?? <gush, gush, swoon, swoon> QGTim will not be around tonight. I'm making him hang the portrait of Obi-Wan (Ewan) over my side of the bed.........

OK, I'm off to work on the massive poll.

Waves Hi! to Barbara Fett! Welcome back!! :)

25. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    So this is a good thing? New Obi Wan pictures?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.