main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starcraft: Ghost

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    So what actually is this Starcraft: Ghost game?

From what I have seen on sites, a Ghost operative calling herself Nova gives you Starcraft in a shoot-em-up way. Kinda reminicient of Metroid, wouldn't you say?

Is it true Ghost is only being developed for console systems, and not for PC as well? When is this coming out?

Those screenshots look damn good . . .

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's consoles only, though I believe it was recently delayed till next year (big surprise).

As I understand it, it's more like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid than Metroid.

3. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    When Ghost was first announced, Gamespot confirmed that it was going to be console only. Likely PlayStation 2, X-box, and maybe Gamecube, though I'm not sure.

That annoys me since practically all the games I play are on PC, and Starcraft's roots are in the PC field. It bugs me the same way that they're making a Fallout game that's not for the PC. It's almost blasphemy.

Anyway, I'd have to agree that the impressions I've gotten of the game make it seem more like a Splinter-cell type: i.e. a sneak-shooter in 3rd person view. I'm guessing the original Gamespot preview article is still around somewhere, but it's probably stuffed away in those archives that you actually have to cough up money to read. D'oh.

4. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah. I'm bummed about the direction that Blizzard is taking Starcraft in. I really wanted an RTS sequal to the original game. :(

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    A lot of console games have been converted to PC format. I once played Super Metroid on the PC, and had access to various cheat codes.

I don't know how legal that was, or how someone did it, but it shows it's possible. Maybe Ghost will be available somehow on PC . . .

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Super Metroid was never legally ported to PC- what you played was a ROM, which is basicly a ripped version of a catridge game played under emulation.

I don't think people have to worry about this being a different direction for Starcraft- it's more of a spinoff geared towards consoles. I think it's a safe bet to say that if and when Starcraft 2 happens, it will be a PC/Mac RTS game.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Don't know why they call Brood Wars an Expansion, should just be Starcraft 2. If players have accessed the secret bonus mission before the final one, you're told of a lethal new enemy.

If Starcraft 2 ever comes out, I'm looking forward to these Hybrids!

8. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Blizz can cancel Ghost for all I care. GIVE US STARCRAFT 2 ON PC SOON!

9. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Excellence, I've never heard of that mission. Since the mission is hidden, how do you reach it? I'd like to give it a shot.

10. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    It's been a while since I've played through the story of Brood War, so I'm not 100% sure which mission it is.

I think it's from the Brood War Protoss campaign. And I believe you access by beating a time limit on one of the scenarios.
    You don't actually see a close-up of the hybrids, but it is a hint at things to come.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's towards the end of the game, beat level 9 for the Zerg "The Reconing" in under 20 minutes.

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Ghost will be on all consoles.

And Blizzard's president said at some point (quoted in CGW) that along with the release of this game some hard facts and news about the next Starcraft game will be announced.

So, whenever this game comes out, it looks like Blizzard will officially state that it's working on Starcraft 2 or something else in the same universe (World of Starcraft, haha!).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A Worlds of Starcraft game would compete directly with SW Galaxies I would think...so it's doubtful they'd do it anttime in the foreseeable future.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    About the secret bonus mission in Brood Wars . . .

You automatically proceed to it when you finish Zerg mission 9 with more than five minutes remaining on the 30-minute counter. Haven't done it yet, but from the strategy guide I know what to expect.

I won't spoil the surprise. It's a big one, all right . . .!

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Twas a joke.

16. KenCom

KenCom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    I know what you're talking about with the bonus mission. It had me all excited for another expansion or a sequel, and then it never came.

I'm still waiting, but I'll have to settle on Ghost until then (unless SC2 comes out before because of some fluke).

17. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    I don't buy a lot of console games any more (or PC games for that matter) but SC ghost will definitely be one I get. I buy every blizzrad game because no developer/producer anywhere can even compete with them for sheer goodness. I spend most of my gaming money on GBA because 2D games are just more fun. in fact my current game boy game is the lost vikings, which if you haven't played you seriously need to go out and experience. And yes, there are PS2 emulators out there so I'm sure you'll be able to get a ROM version of ghost after it comes out.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    SNES Lost Vikings was a great game, but far toomany gameplay faults to be truly enjoyable. I never had the chance to play LV 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.