VIDEO StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm & Legacy of the Void (En Taro Adun!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth-Lando, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    only units getting removed so far are motherships, carriers and overseers.

the battle hellion is a transformation on the hellion... so if they don't keep the hellion, it'd be hard to make the battle hellion. :p
  2. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    [image=http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Armonition/schahaha.jpg]

hahaha... I can't put into words how awesome this is.
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Heart of the Swarm trailer

Give me a ***damn movie already. However, HOTS will suffice till then (as will the remainder I have of WOL). ;)

That said, is it really a SC game if, when playing Toss, you don't hear "Carrier Has Arrived" at least once? ;)

However, the ability to replicate Siege Tanks or Battlecruisers for the Protoss is a fair trade.

Loss of the motherships I can live with, though it does lose a cool factor.
  4. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    SC2 version of the Carrier was kinda useless though. No one ever made them, they were too easy to beat, which is weird considering the Brood War Carrier was basically an automatic GG.
  5. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    A force of 200 supply worth of Carriers happens not infrequently in 4v4. It's hilarious.
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    I haven't played too many 4v4's, but from the few times I have, I've noticed 4v4 is pretty much anything goes. haha

Making carriers in 1v1 though is basically suicide, unless you REALLY catch your opponent with his pants down.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I've sadly not played SC2 multi enough yet to really gather a firm observation of their use, but, from what I've read the not-used-1v1 is generally true, but some players would use them in 2v2/3v3/4v4 to exploit the chaos of battle by having them come in as a secondary attack force- though this function was obviously more niche than in BW.

Still, it "feels" like a significant unit being removed from the game. I mean, when I think of Protoss, it's Zealots, Dragoons and Carriers are the top three things that come to mind (while things like Templars, Archons, etc are more specialized).

What was it that was "broken" about them, though, I wonder? Or was it something in conjunction with these new units?
  8. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    They're just not as cost efficient in this one due to the easier focus fire. Obviously the whole point of the carrier is it alters your enemies priority AI so they attack the interceptors instead of the carrier itself. Same thing in Brood War. However in Brood War, you could only select twelve units at a time. So picking out twelve units at a time to focus fire a carrier would take forever. Since you can almost have unlimited units selected at once in sc2, you don't run into this problem. just double click or drag and you have all your AA focus firing on one unit. This is the same reason why battlecruisers are kinda crap too.

I wanna say the same goes for the Ultralisk too, but the Ultra has waaaay bigger problems than that. In fact, the Ultra was always meant to tank for the zergs army anyway. The Ultralisk's issue is it's pathing. It can only stumble around like a drunken bafoon if one zergling is in it's way.
  9. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Not going to be an issue in HotS...

10. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    yes it is, their pathing isn't being fixed. Great, now there's an upgrade that will allow them to basically have a burrow version of blink, now you're gonna need 3 upgrades before even thinking of making an ultralisk. That's really cool and all... but fixing the unit would have been better.
  11. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Dude just all in 6pool+drone rushed me. What a jerk. He was rude, so I killed him. Cuz that's how I roll.

12. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Switched to Protoss from Terran because I couldn't beat Zerg, now I can't kill Terran. FML.
  13. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    There are some good Terran timings against Zerg. The three tank marine push can be really useful. Protoss v. Terran is a tough matchup because 4 gates are easily countered with MMM and a bunker. It's tough.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Hmm really? Zerg is the easiest (or least hard) matchup for Terran IMO.

So, for the past couple of months or so all I've been playing is Monobattles but I've been playing more ladder since the new season started. I'm still pretty average (win two in a row, lose the next three) but I did beat a Gold player so yay.
  15. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    I'm extremely average but I like the dynamics of the ladder. I've done a lot better recently and can occasionally beat gold level players. I just don't play regularly enough to improve to a consistent level.
  16. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    I'm a fairly passive player against Zerg because I was worried about early busts/pressure. I had some success as Mech, but I found that once the Mutas were out I was stuffed because I could never handle them properly. As protoss, I generally Forge fast expand and can handle most rushes. I then go into 6 or 7 gate and push. If they've gone ground I usually pull back, get robo and push again on three base. If they go Mutas I lol and just base race, because Mutas can't kill buildings fast enough and if they've gone hard for Mutas they don't have many defenses.
  17. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Not even chaos of the battlefield. In 4v4, on maps like Lava Flows or District 13 you'll see people tech directly to Carriers. When they get rushed early, it's hilarious. When they're not the one that's attacked, it can also be hilarious. It's not completely uncommon to see a TTTP team, where the Terrans go mass marines, while funneling gas to the Protoss building Carriers. Going straight-out marines in huge numbers can survive most early game pressure (or provide pressure), and having 20 Carriers show up at someone's door is also hilarious in its own way.

In larger games, versatility is strength. Carriers can kill just about anything, and don't have to slow down for observers.
  18. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    3 game winning streak. yay.

I'm now 6-5 in season 4.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    How do the seasons work?
  20. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Every four or five months a new season in ladder starts, which basically means all players' ladder rankings and stats are reset. When the new season starts you play one placement match to see which League you'll be placed in (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grand Master). Usually you just get placed in the same league you were in the previous season regardless of the outcome of your placement match. :p

If I'm not mistaken though, brand new players to ladder still play five placement matches.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah I don't think I've even placed yet- me and a friend usually just teamed up against CPU opponents last summer when we played. Once I get past the Zeldas I'm hoping to squeeze more time in for this game and see how I do.
  22. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah you always get placed back in the same league after the one placement match unless you were due to be dropped or bumped up on your next match from last season anyway. They make you do the one placement match just to make sure your account is active. Just due to the divisions getting clogged up with people who haven't played in months.
  23. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    4 game winning streak now. Yessssssssssss.

At the end of this last game, the dude raged on me about how mutas are OP. mutas are one of the weakest units in the game per cost. They do crap for damage but give map control. How to beat mutas that won't stop harassing your base: MOVE OUT. PUSH TO YOUR ENEMIES BASE. MUTAS WILL HAVE TO RETREAT AND COME TO YOU BECAUSE ZERG CAN'T WIN A BASE RACE.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    They may not be OP but they can **** you up if you don't prepare properly.
  25. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Do any of you guys watch Day9 at all?