main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starcraft - Still the Best

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    The Ultie who shrugs of Yamato guns like they are flash lights? The one who chews through lines of Arclight tanks? The one whom the metallic super sonic spikes of the Marines cannot even harm? That Torrasque?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Torasque, yes, that's the spelling I meant. That Terran; Brood Wars mission was a shocking one. Until you get a defensive line set up, that lump of muscle could wipe you out!

3. Darth_Devilkin

Darth_Devilkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2003
    Red Alert > Starcraft.

4. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Warcraft is the classic. But even before warcraft was command and conquer. I honstly like all of the series equaly but some individual games sucked (eg. Warcraft 3 and Tibirum Sun and Generals [face_sick] ). I think that SC ghost will suck but I dont want it to :(

/,,/
    Rock on!

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I personally can't imagine anything by blizzard directly sucking. Of course, Blizzard isn't in direct control of Ghost anymore either so... there goes that. BUT it did look promising.

And I happen to like Generals! My problem with it though is the same as any other C&C game, they always seem like a race to who can get the superweapon first. Reminds me of Star Wars. :p But maybe it's not so much that I like Generals all that much it's just:

A.) I like it more than WC III
    B.) The engine is pretty, and some really GREAT games could be built off of it. (Like Battle for Middle Earth, which I recomend to anyone just starting out in RTS games, it's got a very beginners feel to it.)

6. clone_commando_1993

clone_commando_1993 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 2005
    Indeed it really......ROCKS!!!!

So what was that whole hybrid protoss/zerg monster sidestory? Set up for SC ghost? Set up for SC: 3 if possible? hmm? I wonder.

En Taro Adun

God I love Protoss

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

That would be SC 2, not 3.

8. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    SC:Ghost is a vaguely interesting story about some terrans making some kind of gas called Terranzine that makes ghosts more obedient and will give them the edge to continue fighting futile and pointless wars with other terrans while dying at the hands of the Zerg. It's probably not going to have anything important.

9. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm REALLY looking forward to the day when Blizzard finally releases Starcraft: Ghost. May it live up to all it promises to be!

Here are my greatest ownage moments in Starcraft. They're copied from the thread of the same name. Felt it was better placed here.

First, on a four-on-four on fastest map. I played Zerg and our most aggravating opponent was playing Terran. After we defeated the other three, we still had a time against him and his base defenses. He paid the least attention to me because I would send a wave of mutalisks (basic flyers) every couple of minutes on his strongest missile battery to lure him into a false sense of security. Meanwhile, I readied a massive fleet of overlords filled to the brim with hyralisks, zerglings, and a couple of ultralisks. I waited until there was a lull in the fighting where he had successfully held off my comrades' forces, and he seemed to take a breather. I sent another wave of mutalisks to the same spot, and sent the overlords behind him right over his command center. Pandemonium reigned as all of his miners perished, his aircraft decimated by hydralisks, and his siege tanks ripped apart by ultralisks. I had secretly sent a message to my teammates to attack before I deployed. He was so busy worrying about me, he forgot his outer defenses. He said his respects and left just as his last line broke.

Second, I played Terran vs. Zerg in a clan-deciding match. Before he had zergling capability (about 3 minutes), I had a dozen marines with a few Medics scouting the map. I found him and destroyed all but one hatchery, having been forbidden to do so by the clan leaders watching. They felt it was over too quickly. I complied and proceeded to build a wall around his entire base with marine-filled bunkers, siege tanks, wraiths,and battlecruisers in pretty straight-lined defense mode. I also built an impregnable base of my own. The most my opponent could muster was one wave of hydralisks that left a LARGE blood stain on the battlefield as it approached the wall. I had the two clan leaders plus a couple of the larger clan leaders who had anonymously watched the match fighting over me!

Long live Starcraft!

10. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Didn't you post that before?^ It's still a cool story anyways.

11. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    actually yesterday i re-installed starcraft saying, oh this is gonna be awesome again

and then when i played it, i thought it sucked

idk why, i remember loving it the first time i played through it

12. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Because you act like a Monkey with a typewriter and you're hung up on graphics.

13. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Really?

I don't even think it's a graphics issue because, imo, those graphics have a timeless quality to them.

I play and love the game just as much today as i did when it first came out..

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, it's really weird, despite the fact that it's still 2-D for the most part... it looks GOOD

15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Okay, two things:

1. Terran are the best. The greatest players in the world play almost uniquely with Terrans.

2. Carriers get pwned easily by Battlecruisers. I have tested this multiple times.

16. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    The best players use terran but that doesn't mean they are the best.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I agree Terran are the best, I always use them. However, the "experts" supposedly use Zerg.

18. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I almost always win with Zerg even though protoss is my favorite race. Each race is completely even with one another and the best Human players happen to be Terran.

19. GrandAdmiralPaul

GrandAdmiralPaul Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    I own Terran with My Zerg Armies

any of you terrans dont believe me and want to find out first hand, im called MAGNETOISMYHERO. come get slaughtered. [face_devil] [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

20. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I mostly just play the SCUMS now since I haven't played enough to hone in on my skills after my long absense.

21. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    PR0+055 0\/\//\/5!11!!1!1!

They have the units in the whole game, IMO...

22. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    actually it had nothign to do with graphics

nintendo games are some of the best out there, i like 8-bit graphics

it was the gameplay
    i just didnt like it that much like i remembered

23. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree about SC2 as much as I would like to see a sequel... I just do not think it will happen... Warcraft seems too popular, and there may not be enough Market share to support another SC RTS game... especially if SC ghost bombs... which I hope it doesn't!

24. sisyphusrocks

sisyphusrocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2005
    Love this game, you can still buy it new off the shelf, which I might just have to do as I never played brood war!

What happened to the lovely 'Nancy' anyway?

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I used to have Starcraft. A fried burned it for me then I lost the CD key and couldn't play it anymore, but yeah Starcraft kicks all kinds of ass. I used to love playing as the Terrans and nuking my enemies to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.