main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starfest 07

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by bdillon, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    All those poor kittens. They never had a chance.

2. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004

well, that is Brett for ya;) But he has his talents and uses....

3. SandyShortsTusken

SandyShortsTusken Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2003
    That just means you have to come at the problem from a different direction. Reverse angles and all that... It's just a matter of how much schwartz you apply...

4. SandyShortsTusken

SandyShortsTusken Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2003
    Yes, but, OOOhhhh... What an umbrella!

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Starfest pics: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762399343099

These are some of my "best -of" pics. More will follow shortly...

6. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Here they be... http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762399343099

the Sat night pics will be up later...

7. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I came to the realization that now, whenever I watch episode 2 and see little boba, I'm going to hear daniel logan's voice doing very bad Borat impressions.

high five!

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Here is a great picture of the lovely Jedi Girl of Corellia. (more of the *Saturday night* pics will be posted later. I'm just trying to figure out the safest way to show them... but I don't really want them associated with my normal accounts --any advice by web gurus would be greatly appreaciated. I can do private folders, which I think are email address request-only, but I'm not sure of it.)

More general pics are here: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762399306674

They should all be publicly viewable. Please LMK if the links don't work. Link to all of the albums is here: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/albums/

9. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Make 'em private and then we can bug you with our email addy's ;)

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Ok, if you don't want to see what didn't happen saturday night, and you have no intention of never seeing said pictures that don't exist, then don't PM me with your email address and I won't give you access to a folder that doesn't exist.

I won't be able to create this until this evening, even if I had such pictures, which I most likely don't. But if I did, then I *might* be able to do somoehting about this little issue later....

This public service message is brought to you by the Disinformation Indirectory of Nothingness.

11. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Hey, OW, did those pics of Dark Helmet and Lone Star fighting over the trophy ever turn out?

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    They were put up yesterday in the Spaceballs folder, page 2. here is one of them: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762399122040/photo/294928804348312080/144

13. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Odd... how many are there? I only see 109, and I don't see them on the second page.

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Frakken yahoo. It should work now, I have 179 pics in that album...

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    My article on Starfest has been published.

[image=http://www.mscd.edu/~themet/TheMetropolitan/06_07/Vol29_issue30/metnews/images/starfest.jpg]

It's not much, but it's my first published article. Hopefully it gives Leah & her troupe justice, as well as the con in general.

Starfest lands

By William Blackburn
    wblackb2@mscd.edu

Photo by William Blackburn ? wblackb2@mscd.edu

Each spring, thousands of science fiction fans converge on a hotel convention center in a celebration of all things sci-fi. The event is called Starfest, and has been going on for 30 years.

Leah D?Andrea, a 25-year-old Metro theater major inspired and led a team of costumers to win the Best In Show award at Starfest?s costume contest April 21. The team donned costumes from the movie Spaceballs.

Nigel Casantini participated in D?Andrea?s group and masqueraded as Dark Helmet.

?This was only the second or third costume I?ve ever been in, and the first costume contest I?ve ever entered,? Casantini said. He said D?Andrea was ?hugely instrumental for the win. She decided on our order and really cranked out a lot of costume work. She made the majority of at least three of the costumes.?

First time Starfest attendee and Metro graphic design and history major Katie Gregonis came for the experience.

?I just wanted to get back into the sci-fi culture,? Gregonis said. ?I missed it. I?ve been a huge fan of Star Wars since I was 12. It?s been a real blast.?

More than 6,000 fans attended the three-day convention, according to staff members at the event.
    Guest stars held panels over the course of the weekend. Panelists included Star Trek?s Leonard Nimoy, Buck Rogers? Gil Gerard and Erin Grey, Star Wars? Ray Park and Daniel Logan, Battlestar Galactica?s Kate Vernon and Andee Frizzell from Stargate: Atlantis.

Panels at the event included new movies, superhero cinema, model making, an art show, question-and-answer sessions with the stars and an opportunity to get pictures and autographs with the stars. Gregonis had Nimoy sign two vintage record albums that were produced by Nimoy in the ?70s.

Other convention events included a pirate vs. ninja debate, fan film presentations, horror festival, Harry Potter Quidditch tournaments, and tabletop role-playing games. The dealer?s room provided fans with products from every nook and corner of the sci-fi universe, such as light-up lightsabers, airsoft guns, T-shirts, action figures, posters, comics and collectibles.

Similar upcoming conventions will include the Opus Fantasy Arts Festival May 25 through 27, and Mile High Con 39 October 26 through 28. More information on this convention and future Starfest conventions can be found at www.starland.com.

16. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i will try to get our pics up tonight

17. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    thank you jedi pilot for handeling the table last weekend!

18. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    =D=

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Good stuff Bill! It's a shame if that's the only image that makes it into the paper. You really have some awesome pics from the whole con.

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks! Actually, in the print version I have two. One is Leah getting congratulated by her friends. I got the entire page of the paper (page 10 IIRC), which is pretty cool. :) I was afraid the editors would cut if waaaay down.

As it was, they combined my two articles into one.

Here is the other pic of Leah that got published:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762399343099/photo/294928804348661049/6

21. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Hey, Bill, snag me a copy of that paper?

22. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Sure, I'll grab a stack. :D

23. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    i finnaly got our pics uploaded

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/darthhair/album/576460762399878001

24. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I nearly freaked when I saw that you took pix of the panel... But then I saw you couldn't actually see me, so I felt better. ;) [face_mischief]

I think DH got the best pix of Saturday night... They really should be used in an informational pamphlet for newbies when we try to explain what Starfest is. [face_laugh]

25. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Wow, there's a lot more crap in my hair than I remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.