main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starfighters in SW...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WJTW, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJTW

WJTW Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2003
    Just came across something on some forum that I found interesting... I think it was on a forum in stardestroyer.net. Just thougth I would place it here (in my own words.)
    I would be posting in many forums, just so I can get maximum reponse. :)

In Star Wars, it is known (except in ANH) that they do not use the English alphabet for their words. Instead, they use something called Au[something].
    If that was the case, why would the X-Wings be called X-Wings? The letter 'X', 'Y', "B', etc do not exist in the Star Wars alphabet at all!

Any thoughts?

WJTW

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i've heard (not sure if this is true) that the ships are called X, Y, and B because of their shapes.. if this is true we could figure that the X, Y, and Bs are not letters, but symbols representing the shape of the ship

the death star also has the english alphabet (ie. when Obi-Wan is turning off the tractor beam and TK-421)

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The "B" in B-wing actually stands for Blade, due to the B-wing's dagger-like shape.

4. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    You could just consider it a matter of translation. In the GFFA, an X-wing could actually be called something that approximates X-wing in our language by meaning "wing" and maybe the first letter of "cross shape". Ditto for the Y-wing ("forked shape"?) and A-wing ("angle shape"?). With the B-wing, whatever word means "blade" would provide the first letter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.