StarFiled in 3d studio

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by 1337mik3, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1337mik3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Alrighty, i googled and helpfiled' around, and i found out the "video post" method of making star fiels, Render>video post> add image.. event..> star field, i set it all up to go to my camera (camera01) and etc etc, but, when i render it, i see no star field, what am i doing wrong?
  2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    Now you have to learn how to use Video Post. I suggest buying a book and learning basic functions. There's a lot of steps to just checking you have all of this right... and I don't think it's fair to expect people to repeat a page or two from a book. Much less... an entire section of a book on the VP.
  3. Darksteps Jedi Knight

star 3
    2 things...

first, the video post starfield sucks...

2nd, if you still insist on using it, make sure you're rendering from inside the video post dialogue and not the normal render dialogue...

as for making much better starfields, there's a better technique, plus if you play with masks you can turn it into something much nicer...

go to your environment dialogue(the 8 key is usually the default)... now click on the background channel and it will ask you what type of texture you want to apply... choose NOISE...

now, drag that NOISE channel in an empty slot on the Material Editor and choose INSTANCE ... adjust the noise size to something fairly small... like .125, then just to the right, you'll see LOW and HIGH settings... HIGH=.7, LOW=.65... if you use a higher HIGH # it will give you a nice range of star brightnesses... if you want fewer stars than increase the LOW number... the closer the LOW number is to the HIGH number the fewer stars it will render... example: LOW=.69 HIGH=.7...

that will give you a basic starfield... now, go into your normal render dialogue and turn on motion blur for background and environment maps... this way when the camera moves you'll get a nice motion blur, altho you'll need to adjust the blur settings till you get what you're looking for... this method also works with camera zooming...

now, if you play with the MIX material you can also create a very nice nebula that will also track with a camera... here's an example of that, you may need to drag the link or paste it...

Nebula and starfield
    ;)
    Darksteps...
  4. 1337mik3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanx dude, ill try that out in a few minutes and get back to you.
  5. 1337mik3 Force Ghost

star 4
    How do i drag the noise to an empty whatever?

nevermind, i found a really good star field plugin, its prety cool
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.