main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stargate and Stargate SG-1 Discussion- "Children of the Gods: Final Cut" out now on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Last nights show was indeed great. The dragon cracked me up!

The cast has got really great chemistry this season now that Vala is a full time member of the show. To me it was almost like seeing a brand new series this season I have loved every bit of it. I wish that the show would contine into season 11 without all this fuse. Keep it on the air!!!!!

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It is almost like a whole new series. I wonder if a name change would of kept it on the air another year or so. As much as I love the new characters I don't know if the fandom as a whole has embraced it as much though :(

The Save Stargate SG-1 site should have results of a character survey they did up this weekend. My only concern is that it ends up blaming the whole thing on Cam and Vala. I hope that isn't the case as they're the reason that I started watching the show again in season 9 and one of the main reasons I'm enjoying season 10 so much.

I'm still excited to see what MGM has up their sleves in terms of keeping the show going. I think that the current arc especialy would make for some amazing minis or telefilms.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night's ep was good (though the cliffhanger is a bit disspaointing sicne we know Baal has the password- would ahve been better if they showed him using it here, only for it not to work, before going to the TBC).

i also agree it'd be a shame if there's a perception given that Cam and Vlaa are the problems- they're clearly not. Vala in particular has breathed new life into the show and the cast chemistry, and Cam is an interesting character when they focus on him (though when they don't he tends to fall into the background on occasion).

I think a lot of that is just fans unable to let RDA go- RDA was a good lead, don't gte me wrong, but Jack's character peaked at the end of Season 7, and has been kinda dry in his subsequent appearances, and holding onto the character too long like that risks dragging the show down. I still want to see RDA in a few episodes a season, but saying his return as a main character and getting rid of Cam and/or Vala would make SG-1's audience increase again is an error, IMO. Just fans ranting and unable to let go.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree since RDA promotion to General limits his presence in the show now. I would not like to see him return as a full time anymore. The appearences he does are good but he would have to take a demotion to go through the gate on missions now and I wouldn't like that fact.

Ben and Claudia were great with each other on Farscape and they have brought that greatness (to me anyways) to SG-1.

They could keep going and they know it. Plus lets just face it we want it also! So give it to us!

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I guess I get a lot of the Cam/Vala hate from when I poke around the gateworld.net forums. Its very possible (probable actually) that there, just like here, its the vocal minority stirring things up rather then the overall consensus. In fact there was a poll there just the other day asking if it was Cam and Vala that "killed" SG-1 and that poll at least made it pretty evident that wasn't the case:

Cam and Vala, the characters killed it 8 4.23%
    The writing of Cam and Vala killed it 25 13.23%
    The writing in general killed it 53 28.04%
    Increased competition killed it 6 3.17%
    Lack of Promotion killed it 36 19.05%
    Old Age killed it 9 4.76%
    A combination of 4, 5 and 6 did it in 27 14.29%
    It died a natural death 5 2.65%
    It was never meant to last past season 10 3 1.59%

But there is that very vocal minority that thinks that RDA coming back would make everything right and good again. When in my case at least, I'd probably stop watching the show. Its like when Daniel left. There were many that were very vocal about him leaving and others that though Jonas was a great addition.

In retrospect I guess I was one of the people that I'm complaining about now 'cause I was adamant that I wouldn't watch the show again until they brought Shanks back (ironically though season 6 was the first one I bought on DVD :p)

Look at how that whole thing turned out though. On the other hand I wonder if that "sucess" hasn't given the fan community a overexagerated feeling of being able to get our way on this one. [face_thinking]

When all is said and done though I think that Ben and Claudia do have to take some of the blame. After all its the second time its happened to them (I'm sure they've gotten some ***** about that :p )
    I definatly agree that Ben and Claudia brought much of that Farscape greatness with them to SG-1. Its kind of funny that they almost exchanged roles. Ben now playing the straight and narrow and Claudia getting to let lose a little more often. I've joked a lot about looking forward to what ever they end up doing after this. I still think it would be hillarious if they ended up on another show together but it would be real bad luck if that one got canned too :p

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Its like when Daniel left. There were many that were very vocal about him leaving and others that though Jonas was a great addition. <<

Actually, I think Jackson is an integral character to Stargate and the show would efinitely be diminished without his presence. That said, I also very much enjoyed Jonas (and I'd love to see Jonas and Daniel team up again) so even there it's posisble for the show to go on.

>>When all is said and done though I think that Ben and Claudia do have to take some of the blame. After all its the second time its happened to them (I'm sure they've gotten some ***** about that tongue ) <<

While I'm sure people have joked about it to them- it's more about Sci-fi having a bad habit of backing out of multi-year deals with their programs.

7. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Well I thought that the latest episode was great. Though at first I thought it was a bit stupid that Vala had the "vison" about the address. I think that Vala adds new life to the show. But I think that they are killing off the commanders of the Earth ships like flies.

Does anyone know when the next episode is going to be out, usually they have a large gap when there is a "to be continued".

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    We've been arguing about it in SFF. I think we decided that its going to be March so that Who and BSG can get through their runs but others have been saying Jan.

I was pretty shocked when they killed Emmerson. Not you usual "Sci-Fi" set up for that one just, bang, dead.

Looks like we're getting another Earth ship though. The Apollo commanded by Colonel Abe Ellis. Obviously it won't be showing on SG-1 though :p

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I wanted to start kind of a mini banner contest for the show. As you may or may not know there is a standing offer from the mods of the SFF F&TV forum that we can submit banners for big events in SFF F&TV (like the current BSG banner to mark the season 3 premiere). As the longest running SF TV show I think that we should defiantly get something together for SG-1. Obviously we missed the season 10 premiere but we can still do something for when the show comes back from the mid-season break or the series finale [face_sniff].

I've got a little work in progress going but there is obviously more work and progress needed on it. :p
    [image=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6143/bannermc3.jpg]

Ideally we could get a couple of options as I'm sure everyone would have different ideas of what they would like to see (for example I don't know if everyone would like the season 9 and 10 slant that mine has). Then we could pick one to submit to 506 around March-ish.

I know thats a long time to go but I wanted to drum up some support early on so as we get closer we'd be sure to have something to put up. I'll defiantly be submitting a (hopefully) more finished version of what I'm working on around that time so if you want something a little more representative of the series as a whole be sure and make one up. :p

If you are interested you can find dimensions, tricks, and tips in the Offical Banner Makers Thread.

I hope to see at least a couple that we, as the fanbase for the show on these boards, can decide upon to represent one of our favorite shows for at least a little bit before its demise.

I'd like to try and keep any submissions/banner discussion to the SFF F& TV Non-spoiler thread just as a precaution to those who may be trying a spoiler free approach.

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Nice banner, i hope to see it for real.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.stargatesg1.com

There's a mystery countdown there now. Apparently, going by some posts over on agteworld, this is a huge relaunch for the official SG-1 site, into a sort of myspace/youtube hybrid to help focus efforts to save the show.

According to a site developer working on the redesign who posted over on Gateworld:

-Users will be able to create profile pages (think myspace but without the rigid framework of boxes like "people I would like to meet") and you will have access to tons of high-resolution MGM pics - from episodes, b roll and press kits - to use in your profiles.

-There _WILL_ be complete episodes online - not at launch due to some non-technical issues - but coming shortly thereafter. They will be free to stream online but will have ads. Downloads/rentals will also be available at some point after the launch.

-Of course all the behind the scenes, promos, interviews, etc that were produced by the stargate team will also be available and will grow with time.

-Users will be encouraged to upload and share vlogs about why the SG1 should be kept in production as well as commentary on episodes and fanfic.

Beta users have posted this shot as well:

[image=http://truefd.com/site.jpg]

Notice there's still a space for Season 11... [face_thinking]

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Picked up Season 9 on DVD today.

Was a bit disappointed that Season 2 of Atlantis wasn't released, as well. Up until last night, i was under the impression that it was, but now i'm reading not till january? How am i gonna last? (I've been catching up on the Stargates purely thru DVDs. They really need to release the DVDS BEFORE the new season starts, ya know? )

13. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Season 9 took an unusauly long time to come out because of a distribution change.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yep thats also part of the reason that Atlantis is delayed.

I went every where looking for it. Finaly found it the last place I looked and last place I really wanted to go. Wal-Mart. Cheap though.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I iwsh I had the money to pick it up.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Season 9 is up to spot 5 in Amazon's top DVD sales and was featured on the homepage as a hot buy [face_dancing]

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Ah HA. Thanks for that info.

See, i was lucky. Got SG-1 at the first place i looked. I just have to finish up with Season 2 of "Smallville" and then i'll dig into Season 9 of Sg-1.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope to obtain Season 9 by the holidays, after my funds recover from the Wii launch.

Come to think of it, I still need to grab SGA season 1- somehow just never got around to it. (too many boxsets out there I still need to grab- both seasons of Lost, BSG 2.5, both Super Mario Bros Super Show collections...)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...or maybe I just picked it up today ;)

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Glad to hear it.

All in all it was a good deal actually. Much more reasonable then the sets have been in the past I picked mine up for under $33. That was my first thin pak set. I must say I like it a lot better then the old packaging. I think I'm going to see if I can get rid of at least a few of my old sets and get the thin pak versions instead. Fox put together a nice little package there.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I like the thin packs, though I have no problems with the larger ones. It's makes for an impressive sight for SG-1 boxsets to occupy almost an entire DVD shelf ::)

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I know you're joking but thats the very reason I don't particularly care for them. I mean two seasons take up the same amount of self space as the entire run of Angel.

Guess its a moot point though. I don't forsee any place buying back my old boxes at a reasonable rate and I don't think I'll be buying the sets that I already own just for the package.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not joking- I like my "Stargate shelf" ::)

Also, posted this in the SFAF thread, but I figured I'd share it over here too: my SG-1 banner, mainly themed around Seasons 9 & 10, guest stars & BSG actor appearances.

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/SG-1banner.jpg]

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I didn't know that they'd been in SG-1. Although, who are the two people on the right hand side sub-banner, middle and second from left? I don't recognise them from BSG.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Their SG-1 appearances:

-Helo/Humanform Replicator "Third", Season 6 "Unnatural Selection"
    -Sharon/SGC Trainee, Season 5 "Proving Ground"
    -Simon/Kytano, Season 5 "The Warrior"
    -Doral/Jarrod, Season 8 "Icon", Season 9 "Ethon"
    -Tyrol/Moac/Anubis Jaffa, Season 3 "Maternal Instinct", Season 6 "Redemption, part 2"
    -Gaeta/Eliam/Katep, Season 4 "Scorched Earth", Season 8 "Moebius, part 1" & "Moebius, part 2"
    -Barolay (Caprican resistance fighter)/Dr. Brightman, Season 8 "Lockdown" & "Zero Hour"
    -Transport Pilot (miniseries)/Pendergast, multiple
    -Hadrian (Sgt investigating on Galactica "witch hunt")/Yolanda Reese/Stacy Monroe, Season 5 "Wormhole Extreme!", -Season 10 "200"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.