main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Stargate Reboot (confirmed!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 6, 2013.

?

What do you think?

1. Good Idea

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Bad Idea

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Nope. It is not a joke. Another franchise is being rebooted.

Source - Blastr.com

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There needs to be an option for terrible idea.

Stargate is fine as it is. Continue the universe we already have.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm still waiting for Godzilla 2: The Wrath of Guiron and Godzilla 3: Kaiju Hullabaloo

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I agree but like usual the series creator is god in these situations and if they decided to do something dumb it is their fault (*cough* George Lucas *cough*).

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeaaaahhhh roland emmerich is dumb and everything likeable about stargate is encapsulated in a few seasons of SG-1

besides, anything stargate wouldnt be likeable at this point without that quirky vancouver canada flavour

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, I mean, it's not like Emmerich has had any flops or anything in recent years that's terrible, like filming a movie about the White House being destroyed by terrorists...

Oh Wait.

Can we please STOP rebooting things?:mad:

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I voted before I read it all :(

reboot no.

Continuation of the current canon yes

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Stop the freaking reboots!
    The Stargate movie is less than 20 years old for cripe's sake! IMO it still stands up. I tried, but didn't get into the series. Still, a continuation is preferrable to a reboot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Hmmm, so Hollywood's at it again with another reboot? Those dastardly miscreants! What will they think of next, 3D films?!

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's not like Stargate has ever been anything but crappy. No way to go but up.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I also wonder if there will be a ManBearPig angle/subplot in this reboot.

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Saw the film, caught a few tv episodes and was sort of pleased. From what I understand McGyver made the tv show hilarious.

Whatever. I'd rather the reboots stop but then again the NBSG was incredible. So, as long as the reboot is awesome who cares?

13. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I've always thought that Stargate was a great concept that never really reached it's full potential. The movie was too cheesy and the show was far too low budget to do the concept any real justice.

I'd be all for this if Roland Emmerich wasn't involved.

Darth Guy and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    DO NOT WANT!

Yeah, there was some pretty funny banter at times.

I'm not sure I'd call the movie cheesey either. The movie is pretty heavy in places, as O'Neill is stated to be seriously considering suicide.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I would not mind new movies if they were a continuation of the TV series. But like most franchises it is too young for a reboot.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Stargate is WAY too young for this. The Battlestar reboot worked partially because it was done really, really well and because the most of the fans of the original series were people who had watched it as kids in the 70s. In contrast, the original film is only just 20 years old, and the most recent series went off the air less than five years ago.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

18. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    I'd rather just have a continuation of the current Stargate universe. It's such a rich and interesting world with many more stories to tell. If this reboot happens, it will suck to see all of that mythology erased.

That being said, I'm still excited at the prospect of more Stargate. Emmerich might have something wonderful up his sleeve. I'll wait until I see the film to deliver a judgment.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I agree. I'm excited at the prospect of more Stargate, but Stargate didn't actually end. It just stopped. The franchise as it exists has a still has a lot of story-telling potential left. It would be a mistake to throw that away.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am not a Stargate fan, but let me point out that the Batman film franchise was rebooted when the Burton film was 16 years old.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but I don't think that you can compare Batman ad Stargate. In the space of a decade, the Batfilms went totally off the rails. In contrast, Stargate maintained its quality and production values, and was actually in the process of adapting to changes in audience sensibilities when SGU was killed. Stargate didn't end because it had exhausted its storytelling potential, or gotten too silly. It ended because a of corporate decision to pull the plug,

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh yes. I'm not sure which series was my fave: Stargate, Stargate: Miami, or Battlestargate Galactica.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SG-1 was stupid but affectionately stupid. I like the movie because James Spader teleports a bad guy's head to the Crying Game Dude's ship.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I loved the original film and it would be interesting to see where Roland would take the original concept, but that ship has sailed. The success of the Stargate franchise (as MGM's biggest money maker outside of Bond) was not because of the film or those unused concepts, it was because of the SG-1/SGA/SGU execution of the concept.

They'd make far more money on an SGU continuation/resolution (and/or the proposed SG-1 crossovers) than with a new SG film (both on a cost/profit ratio, as well as quality, given Roland's past few films).

I don't see MGM going through with this though- he's been talking about a new SG filmverse movie for years and SG-1/SGA kept on succeeding in making a TV network hit the big time (alongside it's predecessor Farscape and it's "successor" BSG) and I don't think they'd risk the profitable SG-1 brand over such an iffy prospect.

I mean, it's not like other properties like Star Trek who hit creative and ratings lows before being rebooted- SGU was performing very well until Syfy killed it and it was hitting creative strides the franchise hadn't achieved before.

I'm also hard pressed to think of what a reboot trilogy could do that the TV shows didn't already do better.

Humorous cast chemistry set against a mix of military and Star Trek:TOS-like sci-fi? SG-1's bread and buttert. The evolution of human technology gained from encounters with alien races? It'll literally be decades before another show can amount the necessary screentime to even attempt to challenge SG-1/A/U on that front.

Light hearted space adventures mixed with Star Wars-scale space battles/dogfights? SGA did a pretty damn good job at that. Conveying the size and pure majesty of the cosmos? Even at it's weakest points SGU was absolutely nailing that better than few TV shows or films have ever managed. A creatively original and fascinating concept both epic and profound? SGU's signal is a high bar to try and clear.

The only thing they could probably bring to the table would be more of the Indiana Jones facet, which they didn't use as often (though they didnt ignore either) on the shows.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i like the stargate movie because jaye davidson basically leveraged his role in the crying game to get paid more than anyone had ever gotten paid for a single film (iirc, in any case, it was an absurd amount) to appear in roland emmerich schlock and then was like "later, fruits!!" and holed up in his mansion with blow happily ever after (or thats how i like to imagine it ended for him)