main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Stargate SG1 - Threading The Needle One Planet At A Time

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ

JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2005
    I've noticed the majority of big sci-fi programmes are represented here, but I was shocked that Stargate wasn't one of them - so here it is, a thread for all you SG1 fans to get together and discuss our fav elements characters etc.

I was even thinking of turning it into a game sort of like the NJO and AoD, but Stargate based.

Anyway I ramble :p for the first topic why dont we find out when everyone started watching SG1 and what first drew them to it. Discuss. :)

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I think this is the wrong Forum, though.

You should post this in Resource: http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_fan_fiction_resource/b10809/p1

3. JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ

Jun 18, 2005
    You sure? there are a lot of threads like this in this forum!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is the story forum; discussion threads go in the Well of Lost Plots ;) I'll move it :)

5. JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ

Jun 18, 2005
  6. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I started watching Stargate when it first started. I was a huge fan of the movie -- loved Daniel Jackson back then and still love him now. :p
    The series was great!

Right now I'm more into Atlantis though, I'm guessing because it's new with new enemies and so on.

But a Stargate fic would be great...
    *runs away from plotbunnies*

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    For me, it was the movie - the really funny part is that my friend told me to watch it, and she was the furthest from a scifi geek that you could ever find. Real girly girl. :p Anyway, I didn't even know there was a TV show until one day I stumbled upon a rerun on a random channel, and it was the episode where Sha're finally dies. My reaction: "She's DEAD?! What the hell is going on?!" That episode was so compelling, but I never had Showtime, and I had Scifi only starting in 2005. Thank goodness for marathons and daily reruns, though. :D

First time I saw Atlantis, I slept through part of it. But in my defense, I'd never really watched it before and was really tired. Love it now, of course - especially McKay! Can't get enough of that uber-nerd.

The story I'd love to see: a buddy adventure starring Lorne & Zelenka. Ever since I saw them arguing in "The Game," I've been wanting to see more. [face_laugh]

8. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Ah yes, McCay. *sighs*
    He's so great. He cracks me up every time. :p

But Ronan's just... WOW. [face_blush]

Soooo, back to the topic at hand I guess.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Um, when Daniel died *ducks the Daniel fans*

Um, yeah that's typically how you can suck me into a Sci - Fi series. Kill off a major character and I'll tune in to see how they deal with it (which is also how I got into Farscape - when they killed off Aeryn).

10. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :eek: But Daniel was the best...
    I completely stopped watching Stargate when Daniel died. And it was so sad, too!
    I watched the reruns with Jonas and he was alright, but could never replace Daniel. I was so glad when he came back.

11. JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ

Jun 18, 2005
    I started watching a few episodes now and again and got really into it, so I waited until they re-ran the entire series and watched the 10 years worth of shows in about three months, I also watched the repeats so I watched the entire series twice in three months :-B [face_laugh]

After that amount of SG1 my girlfriend wasn't up for Atlantis so I've never really seen it, I 'm wanting to thogh it looks like it's getting good, I'm sure I'll twist her arm lol.

All the characters are fantasic but my favourite (so hard to choose) I'd have to say is the famous Jack O'Neill, it's his sarcastic take no crap attitude which I thinkmis great and he's also funny as anything - the episode where he and T'ealc are stuck in the loop - pure class.

12. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    "...three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!!!!!!!!" [face_laugh]

My favorite SG1 character is Sam. From the moment she uttered that "reproductive organs on the inside" speech, I was hooked. I also liked Mitchell because he was so enthusiastic about his job. :p

13. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    For those of you who hadn't yet heard, Atlantis has been cancelled. Season 5 will be all she wrote [face_frustrated]

I suppose that just means it's up to fans to keep the characters alive through fan fiction! I'm looking forward to seeing some good Stargate stories here.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Why was it cancelled?

15. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    AHGRGAHGRAHRAHRAGRHGQ!!!!!!!!!!

So, just because the SG1 DVDs did well, now they want to mess with SGA? [face_plain] One two-hour straight-to-DVD movie =/= 20-some episodes of a full season. I would much rather have taken one more full season of SG1 over the two movies.

At least this time it was MGM, and not SciFi. Fiddlesticks!!!1!11! I need my regular dose of McKay&Sheppard witty banter! You're right, Exeter - it's up to the fans now.

Maybe if there's a huge outcry over SGA like there was over Firefly, we can get the show back on the air... [face_thinking]

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

I loved that episode!
    Any episode is good when Jack has a major and funny role. The episode "The Fifth Species" had me laughing my butt off.
    When Jack's suddenly smart and starts talking ancient? Funny. :p

And there's Urgo, of course.

Oh and Marty. :p Ah yes, Wormhole Extreme.

Why was Atlantis canceled? :eek: [face_plain]
    It's my favorite show out there right now. They can't! :_|

*goes to google*

Edit: well, at least we'll have the movies, including SG1. That's good. But still sad. No more weekly McCay. *sniffs*

17. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    It was not Sci-Fi's decision, it was actually MGM's. There was no official word as to why, but my guess is they want to move forward with that third series they've been working on for a while, SG: Universe. Personally, I think that's pretty low from a fan relations perspective, but I can't think of any other reason to pull the plug. Ratings for Season 5 are the best since S1.

There's going to be a direct-to-DVD movie like they did with SG-1 (and that could be another reason - the SG-1 DVDs did well), but to be honest I thought those were good but not great and would've preferred a two-part episode over a single movie.

edit: I just realized I repeated Jade for the most part :p

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That third series Stargate: Universe is indeed a go and will bow sometime next summer.

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I was introduced to the series from a friend of mine who, for the most part is not a sci-fi guys. He likes LOST and Heroes and such, but SW and ST and more 'spacey' things have never been his thing. But, wow, he loved SG-1 from the start. And his love for the series was infectious. He loaned me seasons 1-5 and I have followed as a casual fan ever since. I'm still behind and have not seen seasons 9 and 10.

Exeter, I have not seen Ark of Truth, but I will when I catch up on the last two seasons. However, I did see 'Continum' and thought it was great. I thought it rivaled, if not eclipsed some of the best time travel episodes of the series. I enjoyed the characters and the effects. And, if hearing daniel jackson say **** didn't make your day, then seeing Apophis, again had to.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed SG-1. Sad to say, Atlantis never really gelled with me. We'll see about Universe.

20. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    No doubt, any SG-1 is better than nothing. I'm just of the opinion that they weren't quite what I hoped for - possibly because I'm used to the episodic format. But there was no shortage of cool moments in both films, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed Ark of Truth or Continuum.

A friend of mine actually challenged me to cap the Ori arc by rewriting Ark of Truth. We'll see how that goes.

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    There are so many fandoms that I have not attempted to fic. I was born into fan fic through Star Wars and the sheer overwhelming amount of content that comes with a successful or even unsuccessful television series is daunting.

I can't wait for this forum to open up for challenges within these other fandoms.

22. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    The nice thing about attempting to write SG fanfic is that the aliens always speak English. :p Even the Goa'uld and Jaffa don't use the Goa'uld language all that much. But still, no kidding about the amount of content. Trying to write about Jaffa politics? Yikes.

23. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    How did I miss this thread earlier? :p I really should pay more attention over here.

Anyway, I found it now. :D

I first became a fan because my hubby was watching Stargate SG-1 on tv at one point and I had been mostly ignoring the show whenever he watched it up until we watched this episode, I think it's in Season 9? Where Teal'c has his own apartment and one of his neighbors is dealing with an abusive boyfriend. Anyway, I really just fell in love with Teal'c and then we went back and watched the movie so I could really get what was going on and I was hooked ever since.

We've been going back through trying to watch all the episodes because I haven't seen them and Tim hasn't seen every one of them, but he's seen a bunch more than I have, obviously. :p

And Gou'ald politics would be more interesting, Jade. :p Those System Lords are quite fun to write. :D

24. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    And that neighbor is Lois Lane from "Smallville." [face_laugh] What I love most about Teal'c is that he has a very subtle sense of humor. For instance: (1) in the 200th episode, when he pitches his Shaft-like idea for a TV show; (2) in "Window of Opportunity," his reactions to being hit in the face with a door every single day; (3) my all-time favorite - the one joke he tells about the Setesh guard's nose dripping. He actually laughed! :p Chris Judge had such great facial expressions; he didn't need dialogue to make the point.

25. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    One of the funniest Teal'c scenes I've ever seen actually happened when he showed up on Atlantis in Season 4. He and Ronon are talking and Teal'c says "Indeed", and Ronon (who has not known him very long at all) says "You say that a lot." Teal'c says "What?" and Ronon mimics his voice and repeats "Indeed." And Teal'c, who has probably said this several hundred times over the course of the show if not more, looks genuinely surprised and says, "Do I? I had not noticed." It was perfect. Here's a Youtube link if you'd like to see the scene: Teal'c & Ronon - Indeed

The way humor was approached with the character is top-notch. Nearly every joke or amusing thing he does is made that much more funny because of that subtle quality, like Jade said.

There's the references to how many times he's watched Star Wars (13). There were all of the hijinx he dealt with when going off-base for whatever reason, to the point where he started wearing a hat to conceal his Jaffa mark and going by the name "Murray".

How about the time when Vala asked SG-1 if they'd ever heard of a situation where a woman got pregnant where there was no father, and looking at each other, they mention, well...yes, there was this one guy...and before anybody can say the obvious answer, Teal'c goes "Darth Vader." I died multiple times from laughing over that one. Teal'c/Vader

Even when he drinks coffee, he's funny. "Isn't that hot?"

And of course the Jaffa joke that Jade mentioned: Setesh Guard [face_laugh]

Sorry for littering the thread with links, but hopefully someone can take something from my blather here and get some insight into writing the character of Teal'c :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.