main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Stargate

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by CarboniteHan, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    what season they on? is this the start of 5?

2. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Yep, Season 5. They just released season 4 on DVD this week.

3. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    TUESDAY, this week!

July 29,

just a reminder,

Continuum

release date!

4. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    ok, so now i'm only a season behind. I just finished season 3 at lunch today.

5. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    Just watched Continuum.. again with the okay, though definitely fun.

even if everybody dies...

Still, though! It was fun, specially if you like the SG-1.

6. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
  7. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    Well.. they get better!

8. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    thank you for being spoiler-free :)

9. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Continuum was great! It would have made for a better story-arc across multiple episodes though -- wish it had more fleshed out.

Twas great though. I will miss SG-1.

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Just saw the pilot episode on TV recently,

and I was inspired to audit (watch all my fav episodes)
    again on DVD, which I have now replaced the ones that were faulty.

I usually record the pilot every time I see it on,
    to see if they are showing it un-cut.

Usually, they do!

but this time, it was edited.

In the past, the un-cut version has aired a lot on both
    cable, satelite, and even broadcast TV.

I paid attention to this looking for a side-bar story,
    on who was going to be fired (or a station apology)
    for "accidently?" airing the un-cut version.

It is the only TV show, that I knew of that faced this issue
    on a regular basis.

11. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    They've aired the uncut pilot on broadcast television? Hm. Remember, the first 5 season were on Showtime, and took advantage of being on a cable network. The first season was especially guilty of throwing in (sometimes unnecessary) "not for the kiddies"-isms.

Amazing.

Love the show as-is. I'm just surprised that it made through the network censors.

12. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    WPWR channel 50 in Chicago, has/had syndication rights to StarGate/StarGate Atlantis.

So, that is where it hit the airwaves, along with the Sci-Fi channel.

Both have shown the un-edited version.

My guess is, that when the format used for broadcast changes, that an
    un-edited version sneaks through for a while

like going from film to vhs to laser disk to dvd to hd-dvd to blue-ray....etc.

13. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    My copy of _Continuum_ has finally arrived.

Hope to watch it this weekend.

14. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Have seen Continuum:)

and it was OK, nothing really really great, but nothing awful,
    thus
    it is now an episode that gets group with other favorite episodes
    that I will be able to re-watch

I have only a few critics, but they shall wait until the spoiler filter is lifted[face_laugh]

To those that have this,

I strongly recomend watching the on location part of the extras,

it was AWESOME to learn what was NOT CGI.

15. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
  16. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Yeah, apparently the city sinks into the ocean. No survivors.

17. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    From GateWorld

UPDATE: MGM has advised us that an official press release will be issued Thursday, which will hopefully answer many questions. Stay tuned to GateWorld.

The SCI FI Channel is ending Stargate Atlantis after five seasons, Multichannel News reports.

The show will go on, though, with a 2-hour movie that will air on SCI FI in 2009, and be released on DVD by MGM. The film will be written by executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie.

It's intended to be the first of an on-going series of Atlantis movies, according to the report. Stargate SG-1 has released two very successful movies direct-to-DVD this year (Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum), though neither has aired on U.S. television yet.

"The show will live on as a network franchise," the report also says. This could indicate that future Atlantis movies are a lock for SCI FI, or it may be a general statement about the cable network's commitment to the Stargate franchise.

Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, who created and executive produced Atlantis, pitched a third television series in the 11-year-old TV franchise to the network last year (story). While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.

Though Stargate Atlantis has been a solid ratings performer for SCI FI -- and was its highest-rated original program ever when it premiered in July 2004 -- in recent years series like Eureka have supplanted it in the "Live" ratings.

Atlantis remains an extremely strong performer in DVR-delayed viewing, though, often building as much as 25 to 30 percent on its premiere night audience.

Season Five will go out on a cliffhanger, with "Enemy At the Gate" expected to premiere in January. Expect the first Atlantis movie to wrap up that hanging storyline.

Stay tuned to GateWorld and the GateWorld Podcast for the latest developments and comments from the show's producers, and hopefully for some big Stargate Universe news in the weeks ahead. Discuss this story now at GateWorld Forum.

Stargate Atlantis airs Friday nights at 10 p.m. (9 Central) on SCI FI.

I'm sad =(

18. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    so, i'm catching up just in time for it to end? dangit! it's like Enterprise all over again.

so they're cancelling it because it gets dvr'd? i have to admit, even though i am caught up, i AM one of those people who will not watch it live. It's on at the same time as one of my wife's and my favorite shows, so that would always take tv precedence over anything sci-fi-ish. Therefore i'd be one of the many fans who enjoy the show, but don't watch it "live."

19. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    Yeah, I think it's odd. Course, I think any show that's aired 'Live' on a friday night, they have to expect that a large part of the viewership would be afterwards.. unless they're implying that us 'geeky' sci-fi fans don't have anything better to do on a Friday night.

Eh.. They way I look at it, Sci Fi is making it really easy for me not to need Digital Cable here in South Bend.

20. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    hhhmmmmmm.....

This info makes me think of___pay on demand_____as a concept,

and

From a "stay in business" perspective,

I can see that demand being in any format (just so long as no one can dupe it)

and so a never ending battle of staying ahead of this conceptual curve,

kinda like___virus makers vs Anti-Virus makers.

Thus, DVD-s may work for a while....but...what will they think of next,

and so the CD music industry becomes a possible example of what may happen to this market.

21. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    From The Hollywood Reporter:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Sci Fi orders 'Stargate' spin-off

August 21, 2008

Sci Fi Channel isn?t about to let down ?Stargate? fans.

The network is set to announce the order of a new series from MGM Television, ?Stargate: Universe,? that will mark the third entry in Sci Fi?s longest-running original series franchise.

The greenlight comes on the heels of Sci Fi?s confirming Thursday that ?Stargate: Atlantis? will not receive a sixth-season order. The ?Universe? pickup ensures the continuation of the popular ?Stargate? franchise, which has been on the air in various incarnations since 1997.

?Universe? will premiere as a two-hour movie early next year and will assume a regular hourly slot in the summer. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, co-creators of ?Stargate: SG-1? and ?Atlantis,? will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

The new show will involve more space-based action than ?SG-1? or ?Atlantis.? With the ?Star Trek? television franchise having folded in 2005 and Sci Fi?s ?Battlestar Galactica? airing its final episodes next year, the network hopes ?Universe? will become sci-fi fans? new favorite space-travel series.

22. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    more details from the scifi channel site:

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never-ending mission as the Stargate Universe crew discovers that the ship is unable to return to Earth and that they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission.

23. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    also from scifi channel:

Atlantis Movie Green-Lighted

SCI FI Channel announced that it has given a green light to a two-hour movie based on its original series Stargate Atlantis.

SCI FI will air the as-yet-untitled film as a world premiere before its release on DVD by MGM.

Annoucement of the new film follows similar telefilms based on SCI FI's Battlestar Galactica and two straight-to-DVD Stargate SG-1 movies, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum.

The Atlantis movie will be written by executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who also serve as the series' show runners.

The movie is set to follow the fifth and final season of Stargate Atlantis in January 2009.

"We're excited to tell Atlantis stories on a bigger canvas," said Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, co-creators of SG-1 and Atlantis, in a statement. "The successes of the two original Stargate [direct-to-video] movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum have shown us the opportunities that the movie format offers. We have plans for both SG-1 and Atlantis to remain vital as we expand the franchise." Atlantis will air a milestone 100th episode in January 2009.

i like the fact that it will be on tv BEFORE it goes to dvd.

24. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

HOLY___WHAT THE____OH MY GOSH:eek:

________FINALLY, THE___________

_______9-th Chevron!:-B

25. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go.shtml

"Stargate: 90210" here we come...

Part of the new focus is a deliberate attempt to bring in younger viewers to watch Stargate Universe. "This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," SCI FI president Dave Howe told The Hollywood Reporter. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

We'll see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.