main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stark Hyperspace #3 out today

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shara, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    As usual, I don't have it, *yet*, but I will in a half an hour or so. I'm so happy that I finally have a SW comic to read. *sigh* I went a week without buying any comics, and last week I only bought one. It's a scandal! ;)

But like last issue, the cover is done by Jan Duursema and [/b]John Ostrander[/b]. If you haven't seen the cover yet and you know me, you know I'll be a happy happy girl. Ahh heck, here take a look:
    Just another reason Shara likes Jan a lot

2. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok I hope that Dave McCaig didn't see that cause he and Jan did the fornt cover, not John. Oops, sorry ave, my bad!

So this issue I thought was a little better than some of the others. We get to see what a crank Tarkin is, that is obviously reflected in his son. Man, he's just a real jerk.

Brief Synopsis:(spoilers ahead)

So the two groups of people (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Senator Valorum and Tarkin's crew) previously focused on meet each other on ground on Troika, moving into a large set of caves. The Nemoidian guy and Tarkin are being jerks, trying to make themselves sound more important than they really are. You've gotta feel sorry for Valorum: it seems that he's a really good senator, but will occasionally become the scapegoat in other people's plots. I don't think it's personal, it just sort of turns out that way. Tarkin tries to put this on Valorum's head, the reason they are trapped in the cave etc. But Valorum turns it around and points out that they wouldn't be as big of a mess if Tarkin hadn't assembled the unauthorized fleet.

We also get to see another one of Plo Koon's abilities: he can get inside someone's mind. It's not like read minds, it's more he can get inside and hear word for word what's going on, liking through the eyes of the person. He tells them this and it helps tthem successfully defend themselves against the overwhelming odds. (Yeah yeah, don't tell me the odds ;) ). Stark is losing his grip of control over his minions, mostly because they're pirates not sholders, but they still fight for him.

As we are seeing young Obi-Wan and Quinlan, we see an issue in Quinlan's life that will obviously effect him later in life. His gift, more of a heredity based gift than of the Force, albeit intensified by it, is of his ability to read the past off of objects. Because of this, he saw his parents' death...really experiencing it with them. This made him too close to actual death at too young of an age and made him have a real problem with the Jedi precept "There is no death, only the Force". He runs off in a huff and Obi-Wan is sent after him to make sure he doesn't get lost in the caves, although they do.

Simultaneously, the rest of the people in the caves find out from a local about the "flesh eater" bugs in the tunnels. And guess what? Obi-Wan and Quinlan encounter the bugs as a cliff hanger.

This was a very exciting isssue. Woo hoo!

If you do get it, and I'm hoping to scan it at some point, there is a newer I think never before seen picture of Zam Wessel with her gun in the air and partially kneeling. Ooo I can't wait till her comic comes out :)

Happy reading all!

3. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Yay!

Thanks for the summary. I can't wait until I can find this one in stores ;)

Cow_Girl

4. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm looking forward to reading it but I won't have a chance to get it until Friday or Saturday.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I got it (I was half expecting it to be delayed :p)! :)

Haven't read it yet, but as always, I'll give my thoughts on it tomorrow. ;)

~*~Bria

6. HerkMondo

HerkMondo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    So the Tarken in SHW is the father of Grand Moff Tarken? He seems a little young

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually,we don't know how he's related to Wilhuff Tarkin yet...

8. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, what's the time frame on this again? I would think that it cold be his dad and that the son could be an adult by the time this takes place. Obi-Wan is still a Padawan and this looks to be a decent amount of year prior to TPM anyways. it's feasible that Tarkin in SHW is the father. They sure look alike.

Another thing I noticed about Tarkin: He has a general displeasure for non-humans. Could it be that Moff Tarkin was responsible for the Empire not usually admitting aliens? Or is this old news?

9. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    on Ranulph Tarkin, they didn't really say it HAD to be Wilhuff Tarkin's father, it could be an uncle a cousin, or another member of the Tarkin family

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    It takes place 12 years before Episode I.

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well just in case that is his father (because seeing how Tarkin in SHW acts as compared to Moff, they are a lot a like), well if the Moff is already born, then that's 42 years before ANH and totally plausable for him to be his father.

But that's just me.....

12. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Ok, I read it yesterday and I think that the issue was extremely good. The art was awesome, and I think I've figured out exactly what I dislike about it which is a lot more minor than I thought it was. Some of the characters that were seen in TPM just look weird but everything else looks great. I love seeing the younger Vos and Plo Koon is just cool. Anyway, I'd say that this was the best issue of the arc yet and I'm looking forward to the finale.

13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Well just in case that is his father (because seeing how Tarkin in SHW acts as compared to Moff, "

Not really. Wilhuff Tarkin was a decent military commander . He was great at strategy apparently.

"General" Ranulf Tarkin is an idiot through and through. He's also a coward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.