main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The SKB is about to destroy the Resistance Base at the end of TFA....

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. And wiping out Hosnian Prime was a bigger deal than wiping out Alderaan.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I think it's pretty fair to say that neither A New Hope nor The Force Awakens did a very good job of getting the audience to care that a planet had been destroyed. I really have no reason to care about Hosnian Prime or Alderaan... heck even Princess Leia seems to shake it off pretty quickly in ANH. I like TFA, but I always go back to thinking the movie needed another 15-20 minutes... to do things like getting me to at least kind of care about Hosnian Prime being destroyed.

IMO, even the Jedha destruction in Rogue One was far more emotionally impactful than either Alderann or Hosnian

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Alderaan gets several beauty shots, which unmistakably show how earth-like it is, ergo, how close to a human ideal it is. It also gets a logical and ethical appeal that it does not meet any criteria to be targeted under any conventional agreements on warfare. It also gets a musical representation of freedom precariously on a wing and in the balance. Additional tension is wrought from courtly sparring and competing strategies of deception. Upon hearing its fate in purpose, Carrie Fisher evinces. Call it denial. Upon seeing its fate in action, Carrie Fisher braces herself, showing a toughness, showing a lack of incomprehension, tantamount to a long game acceptance. (15 frames). Don't watch SW77 and you'll miss it. An analogous reaction shot occurs when Luke sees the charred corpses of Owen and Beru.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In the text? Still, it isn't incorporated into the plot until after Yoda's death. It doesn't really increase the stakes from the closing of TESB. Han has been captured and the Empire rules the galaxy and Luke is it's last hope.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It is in the OPENING SHOT of Jedi.

SunnyNelson and Darth__Lobot like this.
  7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    lol yeah I forgot. But still, that doesn't increase the tension that TESB left with. Instead of the solid tension that was built with the plot it's a throw in "oh no the maniacal bad guys are going to destroy the galaxy."

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i don't get why they had to do another deathstar, it feels unoriginal at this point to do the same thing again.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Yeah - especially because that makes it the FOURTH Star Wars movie where one of the main macguffins was to blow up a spherical space craft. ANH, ROTJ, TPM, TFA..

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The one thing I appreciate is that they included a reference to it in R1, as if the Empire had a whole series of superweapon designs lined up, and the First Order decided to go ahead with "Stellar Sphere" as the next logical step.

Gigoran Monk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I don't remember the reference in R1. What was it?

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

IIRC, it was one of the file names in the data banks on Scarif.

Artoo-Dion and Ricardo Funes like this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked that, too. It doesn't make me Ok with Starkiller, but at least it's a minor nod that gives it a little more logic.

Gigoran Monk and Artoo-Dion like this.
  14. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    IU I think it was a great idea. It basically destroyed the Republic government

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It would make much more sense if they reveal that the Geonosians were involved in building a series of Death Stars.

Maybe after the first 2, they were open to new orders from radical groups such as Snoke.

"Some of the earliest plans for a mobile, planet-destroying superweapon dated back millennia to the ancient Sith. Thousands of years later, before the outbreak of the Clone Wars, the Geonosians, aligned with Count Dooku and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, designed the Ultimate Weapon in secret. After the fall of the Confederacy, construction of the Death Star was appropriated by the nascent Empire. It was built in orbit of Geonosis and supported by a complex logistical network of bases."

16. YoungSmitty2

YoungSmitty2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2017
    Honestly, I just find the idea of Starkiller Base idiotic in concept alone. After all, how the hell can a superlaser shot from the Unknown Regions of the galaxy travel all the way to the Core Worlds without hitting a star, a planet's moon, or some kind of starship along the way. Not to mention how long it would take for the laser to reach the Hosnian Prime system (which is basically Coruscant 2.0) which I say should logically be at the very least in the span of 3-6 days.

What they should have done is this; Instead of centering the First Order's battle strategy on destroying the New Republic Senate, they should have instead focused on setting up double agents on New Republic strongholds in the Outer Rim, and when the time comes, the agents would then disable each planet's shields, communications array, etc. Thus, allowing the First Order to send a small battle fleet to each planet and conquer each planet. Then they would set their sights on invading the strongholds in the Mid Rim, and would be stopped by the heroes at the end when they tried to invade their stronghold.

It's not much, but I thought it would be more logical instead of another superweapon.

Shadao and Darth Dnej like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_hypnotized]
    That is the awesomest reason for another rewatch of RO that I could ever have hoped for!!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Has it been confirmed that "Stellar Sphere" is SKB?

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-easter-eggs/2/

The prequel novel Catalyst implies that a few of them are actually subcomponents of the Death Star itself:
    The Imperial Energy Division was new, but it, too, operated under the umbrella of Project Celestial Power. In fact, each separate department of the battle station project had its own cover name and cover agency, and Galen wasn’t alone in working for a counterfeit division and having his research put to alternative uses. Scattered across the galaxy were teams of scientists working on conventional weaponry, tractor beam and hyperdrive technology, even hull cladding systems. Each project was concealed behind names like Stellar Sphere, Mark Omega, and Pax Aurora. But all those paled in comparison with research on the superlaser.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What I don't get is why didn't they just call it "The Starkiller". Why call it "Starkiller Base"?

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Because it's a base?

11-4D and Gigoran Monk like this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Ah. So Stellar Sphere is NOT SKB. Oh well. Fun while it lasted!

23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Next up: The Star Destroyer!

Oh, wait...

24. YoungSmitty2

YoungSmitty2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2017
    Please, the Star Destroyer's got nothing on the Super Star Destroyer...

...wait a second.

Talos of Atmora and Lulu Mars like this.
  25. PORG

PORG Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2017
    I liked the idea of The Star Killer base , but it shouldn’t have been destroyed, It should have been disabled and present throughout the remaining films although being re-built but out of commission.

This could have been achieved when Han was fatally wounded by Kylo. As he was falling to his death he could have set off a thermal detonator that with a bit of luck! (no such thing as luck) destroyed a key component that will take years to fix and knocked out the main weapon.
    Also it would have been a good end to Han.

Sarge likes this.