main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Uhh....we move and don't lose our atmosphere either.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    It was about as worthless as the inclusion of Luke Skywalker and the goal of finding him because reasons.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    jedijax, Earth moves in a natural orbit, in free fall, so of course we don't lose our atmosphere. But SKB has to move in unnatural ways, accelerating against gravity to move from one star to the next, and if it accelerated fast enough to move from one system to another in the time frame of the movie, it's atmosphere would be left far behind, along with oceans and topsoil, unless technobabble artificial gravity/inertial dampers/containment fields.

Darth Pig likes this.
  4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I'm more in the don't like Starkiller base only because some of it seemed forced but it did set the scene for Han Solo/Kylo Ren confronting one another, the great duel between Kylo/Rey/Finn and some great visuals between X-Wings/Tie Fighters. So for me the setting of the Starkiller base was awesome. An icy, forested planet, but the idea behind it was not as well developed as it could've been. Ideally, and others have mentioned this before, I'd have Starkiller damaged and then it returns to fight another day in subsequent movies.

Sarge, Satipo and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

The Earth moves around the sun at 60,000 miles an hour, and the atmosphere stays intact.

But the bolded is key. I think it was Asimov, or someone else, who said science in far future science fiction is, for all intents and purpose, "magic." It's perfectly fine to justify all sorts of stuff with "they figured it out."

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It could have switched back on - if it's a case of only a bit of energy from the star's outer layers being absorbed, but not all that mass.

7. Darth Pig

Darth Pig Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 21, 2016
    So holding air n is all the is required for an atmosphere to exist? Is this Spaceballs?

Notice any planet life on the planet?

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sure, lots of trees, which need light and heat as well as air. And if you have enough power to move a planet from one star to the next, then the energy needed to keep things warm until you reach the next star is negligible. In fact, moving the planet might produce enough waste heat that getting rid of it all could be a bigger problem than keeping warm.

9. Lord Ugnaught

Lord Ugnaught Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015

These are the complaints that I just can't comprehend that it would deter someone from enjoying a film.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. Lord Ugnaught

Lord Ugnaught Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015
    I'm not a fan of it, but it's whatever. As long as they don't bring it back or try to build another base like that I'll be okay.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Watching the Kylo-Rey duel, I found myself getting annoyed that the Starkiller Base battle was interrupting the Kylo-Rey duel. You get so invested in the Kylo-Rey conflict and then the movie cuts to the impersonal Starkiller Base conflict.

12. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016

This is something I haven't seen mentioned a lot but I completely agree. Star Wars has always done this and it's always annoyed me a bit because I lose interest in the big battles a lot faster than the climactic lightsaber battles. However, showing those 2 together makes sense because it explains why the planet starts to fall apart in the Rey/Kylo battle.

13. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    Bad Idea. Just lazy righting like i mean come on come up with something original for once

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I was surprised to recently learn that Starkiller base actually moves.

I don't recall that actually being in the movie.

This makes a nonsense of several things among them the surface of the planet. How is that maintained and why would it be? Is that all in the trench area in some protected atmosphere?

The very fact that it was called a base indicated to me that it was erm... a base.

The discrepancy of the daylight of the first firing and the nighttime I decided was due to draining the sun's energies but afterwards it would re-ignite. So it was not extinguished by merely dimmed.

Now sure this is more of a technical plot point that is not to get all worked up about but it seems needlessly confusing and indicates that the storytellers themselves seem to be confused about their story. The problem is that if something which should be relatively straightforward is something they twist into pretzels then what if this extends to things that are actually important like Rey's backstory?

We know they lifted everything they could from I-VI and ANH in particular but the destruction of the Death Star and it's impact on the Empire had to be downplayed since it wasn't known there was going to be more movies.

The impact of Starkiller base being destroyed should be devastating for the First Order (they are no Empire) so if it's just dismissed as a minor setback then it's another indication of a story not well planned out or executed.

Torib and Ezon Pin like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I could see super-fast acceleration raising the "why isn't the atmosphere left behind" question.

But it's probably the same principle that protects the crew of ships - inertial dampers.

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Hyperspace is more of a wormhole that actual high speed, so I think this is a bit of an odd complaint.

-Jedi Joe- and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    SKB was what I believe Kasdan was referring to when discussing the difficulty Arndt had in discovering "the simple spine of the story". They wanted to focus on characters and relationships within a familiar framework. I think Lucas did a good job creating an idea that recalls and foreshadows later episodic events, but I would have liked the ST writers to create a superweapon that was inherently different and that wouldn't be resolved until Episode IX, as the original idea of the Death Star had been for Episode VI. What might that be? It's a tough call, but again, there are any number of tropes that would be at the very least different from the prior outings.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The concept art book shows that Arndt considered making the Starkiller Base planet Dantooine and ha ing the base installed in a volcano while the rest of the planet was as it is in the film to create a "fire vs. ice" theme. Arndt also seemed to like the idea of Snoke absorbing the power of the "killed" stars. I like these ideas better than what we got.

Darthman92 and Ezon Pin like this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Not to sound super negative, but another planet-busting superweapon was the last thing I wanted to see in episode VII. Starkiller base is by far my least favorite superweapon in star wars.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They could have at least had Starkiller Base turn out to be a hoax.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I looked upon it as the true prototype Death Star but took so long Tarkin went with some Geonosian designs the real reason for the development was the possibility it had been the planet Ilum and using something sacred to the Jedi as a Sith superweapon was something Palpatine probably enjoyed!

22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    So what, SKB was destroyed and nobody really cared. The objective was to find Luke.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Insofar as it got blown up, I'm going to go with bad idea.

Sarge and Immortiss like this.
  24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I like the scenes inside the starkiller, but serious, i was desappointed for create another death star, and worst, change the name to try to bring some ''different''.

25. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    When I read the synopsis before the movie and posters came out I could've sworn the description was for the Sun Crusher. So I was a little let down but I still enjoyed it. Those who don't learn from history....

Ricardo Funes and Force Smuggler like this.