main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Well the Resistance certainly learned from history. Hey, it's are job to blow these things up. Will it happen again in Episode X?

The recurrence also has the effect of further neutralizing a character like Hux who seems even less significant in TFA as a result.

What will they do for IX? How will Rey save the Galaxy? Or Poe? Or Finn? What will they blow up next?

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It was a dumb idea with a dumb execution, can't do worse than that.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The interiors were all callbacks, which are fine, but little stands out with the exception that Rey needs no help in escaping her captors, unlike Leia in ANH. Even the Stormtroopers mention that they believe they're splitting up on levels. It's "let's show them more of the same" instead of challenging ourselves to show them something different. Even if they might not want or like it.

For example, how about a biological weapon that attacks ------------- (dare I say it) or decimates the ability of any force sensitive.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  5. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    A logical idea. Starkiller Base was a planet. In order to destroy it the resistance had to destroy a natural part of the galaxy. The bad part was hearing dialogue from the guy who was in the TV show Lost. "...thermal oscillator..."

Word delivery in he saga.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Oh boy. The more I think about and digest the involvement of Starkiller Base in TFA, the more it disappoints me. Even though its execution is solid, it's a complete distraction from the quest of finding Luke for both the Resistance and the First Order. Its narrative relevance feels obligatory rather than organic. I seem to recall reading or hearing an interview with Abrams saying that they had to have a trench run in the film, but never elaborated further on why that was necessary for the story.

7. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    It was ok, I did not hate it. The scenes that took place there were cool but the base its self was not the most original. Why does all the polls have to be love it or hate it? Can we add the ok option or I liked it but it could have been better?

8. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    That always annoys me too. I try to give at least a range of 5 option in polls. A love it, like it, neutral, dislike it, and hate it. Anything less and it just isn't granular enough to capture the basic human dispositions.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The SKB was an interesting plot point, I must say, despite it being a bit too similar with the Death Star 1... Personally, I think the filmmakers shouldn't have "changed" that planet into a new star, but instead, crippled it so badly that it takes the FO a long time to get it ready... With mere mention of the SKB in Episode 8 and less visual since the place is in a mess...

And maybe see the SKB in a far more powerful, as well as ominous, form in Episode 9, for a climactic battle that will close the Sequel Trilogy... Potentially also with a scene where Kylo finally redeems himself on the base but maybe at the cost of his own life - although sadly, that will not be the case as of now!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

10. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    I thought TFA was a really enjoyable movie, but I absolutely hated Starkiller base. Going into the movie I hoped that it wasn't just a rehashed Death Star, but that's exactly what it was. The part of the movie where they compared it to the Death Star just made me smack my head.

The worst part is, they did not need it! If the movie was just about finding Luke, it would have been awesome. They could have fleshed that part out more, instead of R3 just magically waking up. I'm all for parrallel's with the Star Wars Trilogies, but they need to be subtler ...

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like that irony. The Resistance destroyed a planet that could destroy planets.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    PERFECT NAME.

Kane Starkiller.

Starkiller Base.

Rey Starkiller.

Just watch!

13. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    yeah i didn't like the base. they were very vague about this planet as far as is it mobile? How do all the plant life stay alive after they drain power from a star? My least favorite part of the movie is when Hux gives his speech and they blow up the republic capital. It came out of now where (i know there was a scene before that where he asked snoke if he could do that) I just feel going from ROTJ where the Rebel defeat the empire and in this movie this new First order seems to be more powerful then the empire. Even fin is like no one can beat the first empire. What the heck has the New Republic been doing this whole time? thats whats weird to..whats this resistance and how is it different the the new republic? didn't like that part of the story. Would of been nice if they new order was hiding in the deep parts of space and in this movie after growing there power they coming with fleets of ships attacking the new republic (like that full motion scene for the old republic game. you see a fleet of sith ships coming and attacking out of no where because they feel like they are strong enough now to do it.)

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Star killer should have been called "Literal Death Star" to further connect the ST with the OT. This film sure needed more similarities.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    HHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Frankly, SKB was uninspired, lazy, and completely disappointing. I had little investment in the action, the stakes, or the pilots, during these scenes. I just couldn't do anything but sigh, and wish for the next scene to start. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this was completely shoved into the plot of the film "just because," rather than organically serving the story.

I do enjoy TFA, but honestly the inclusion of SKB really bothered me, and overall, it does negatively detract from my own personal experience with TFA. Everything could have worked so much better if the SKB was simply just a base that needed to be destroyed, rather than a third Death Star.

Many detractors of the EU always complained about how it was "always" a retread (in some ways, it was), yet these same individuals have no problem with this 3rd Death Star? I hope it doesn't come down to plain concept or execution, because I think SKB was executed horribly.

17. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I really didn't like Starkiller Base. When we first saw Star Wars, the Death Star was the product of a galaxy-wide Empire and its size and capabilities seemed to be unbelievable . Starkiller Base was the product of a small remnant of said Empire which clearly lacked the industrial base and resources of the Empire, but yet managed to build not only something akin to the Death Star, but something much bigger in scale and many order of magnitude more powerful! It's not as if the Death Stars were built on a coffee break... There is also no rationale for Starkiller Base.

As GunganSlayer also mentioned, the execution was terrible. In Star Wars (ANH), the Death Star was at the center of the plot and we knew what the stakes were. In TFA, the main plot was locating Luke Skywalker with the Starkiller Base as an unnecessary 'rehash light' of the original Star Wars DS battle. it's there all of a sudden and the (unspoiled portion) of the audience didn't know what the heck is was as there's no proper build-up to it during almost half of the movie.

I can not understand how someone could have looked at Starkiller Base and have thought it was a good idea from a narrative standpoint...

18. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I have to go with "bad idea." I thoroughly enjoyed TFA, but having what was essentially a third Death Star was just one of those things that made me go, "Whyyy?"

Instead of making it "Death Star 3," they should have just made it a heavily fortified First Order Base, containing the final piece of the map. When Rey gets taken there, she could have overheard that Kylo had a piece of the map, and they she could go on a daring mission within the base to try to retrieve it. Then she could somehow send out a signal to the Resistance Base, letting them know that she has the complete map, which would cause Leia to send and Han, Chewie and Finn to retrieve her. So the structure of the movie would remain essentially the same, but we'd avoid the redundancy of a third Death Star, and the search for Luke would be emphasized.
    I know that this would mean the Republic wouldn't get blown up, but frankly, that seemed a bit silly anyway, seeing as how we never had a chance to know the new republic.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'll say this

My opinion on it is mixed. I like it as a concept, but I sort of wish it was, unlike either Death Star, kept for at least Episode VIII or maybe even destroyed in Episode IX. Interesting way to break the mold with a superweapon. But oh well

Dark Lord Tarkas and Sarge like this.
  20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Since this is the third time we've seen a super-weapon in the saga, I'm inclined to believe there is reason the why the dark-siders keep trying to build them, even after they get blown up.
    Obi-wan says "Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things."
    Perhaps the dark-siders have discovered that mass destruction weakens the energy field of the Force and/or the destruction (death) is what gives them their power.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked it so much, I built one just now. It's outside your window. Look!

Dark Lord Tarkas and Ezon Pin like this.
  22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Differently from DS1 and DS2, SKB successfully executed its primary mission. I guess Snoke is not complaining.

23. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm actually kind of glad they got it out of the way in Episode 7, if they had to have it at all (and assuming they won't build SKB2 in a future episode.) I see TFA as a movie whose primary goal was to bring us back to what so many of us loved about SW, and so with that in mind, I guess they felt doing another variation on the DS was a good idea. Fair enough, there's some logic to that. But now that they've got our attention and eased us back into the GFFA, I want them to make braver choices for episodes 8 and 9.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If they thought the Death Star was the reason why everyone loved ANH, they are very out of touch with their audience.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I've always been of the opinion that this part just wasn't what interested Kasdan. He and JJ were all about the characters, which are what makes the movie and also makes it a viable series.

Han matters. Finn, Rey, Kylo matter.

Blowing up planets? Eh, we've got to do that too, I guess.