main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's about the first order not learning from their mistakes as the empire. they believe in total power and destruction and just say, "we'll make it bigger and better this time." people in the real world do this all the time. it's called arrogance.

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I agree. They made finding Luke the "big deal" (tm) of the movie, not SKB.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whenever I see "SKB" I keep thinking it stands for Squidward's Krusty Bottom.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    And this is what is disappointing. There should be no obligation to include this in the story unless it matters. Instead of feeling vital, it's an afterthought.

TheOneX_Eleazar and GunganSlayer like this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

It was an easy way to destroy the republic and reset the situation without requiring too much explanation or movie time.

6. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Sure, but it lacks investment or buildup.

7. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Sort of like anything that happens in Independence Day: Resurgence. Both sequels featured new toys that could blow things up, but neither film took the time to actually make the destruction mean anything. To be fair, TFA just needed a bit more fresh ideas and ID:R just didn't need to exist.

8. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

Yes, I don't care much because what happens in SKB with Han vs Kylo and the rescue of Rey are the most important aspects for me.
    They were so aware that SKB was just a repetition of the DS, that they added the line where Han says "So what, it is bigger", and references to them being very confident they could destroy this weapon the same way they did with the DS I and II.

I understand people not liking SKB. But hey, it at least worked. DS I and II did nothing to the rebels, and SKB wiped the Republic.

9. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I agree that the execution is solid, but it's just conceptually lazy.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Like 1977 all over again!

Master of None likes this.
  11. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    There will be another.....

12. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    The new canon books and visual dictionary and incredible cross sections reference books definitely warmed me up to the Starkiller base idea. It does not work cinematically but in-universe it does make sense since the Imperial loyalists took all of their research ideas and technology and newly explored hyperspace routes into the unknown regions where they were able to regroup and rebuild and if you made two death stars, why wouldn't they work on the idea to make an even more powerful weapon in order to even the odds against the new republic fleet and take power back?

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    SUN KRUSHA

GunganSlayer likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What I felt was utterly implausible was 1) how the First Order could scrounge up the resources to develop and build this sun-draining-planet-killing-hyperspace-cannon, and 2) how the Republic's intelligence agencies somehow missed this superweapon with who knows how many thousands of troops and personnel on it.

Also I don't quite remember, but was Starkiller Base ever referred to as such by name in the movie? I seem to recall it being just called "the weapon" for the most part.

Mange likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall them saying "That was the Death Star. This is Starkiller Base" as they bring up its hologram next to the Death Star's.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Made the film a lot worse in my opinion. I wouldn't've minded the plot that much if it wasn't in there but, wow, it just screams lazy writing. I couldn't engage myself in the scene where they were talking about its weaknesses and I couldn't engage myself in the scene where they destroy it. It just felt like a ginormous set piece for Han's death.

Ezon Pin and Mr. Forest like this.
  17. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    the destruction of the Republic felt a lot like how JJ destroyed the Vulcan planet in Star Trek IMHO.

Although I enjoyed Starkiller base but I hope they don't make another super weapon and actually use original writing next time around.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Sure its existence can be justified from an in universe perspective, but is it necessary for a story about finding Luke Skywalker? Before the film was released, I thought maybe the First Order needed Luke's powerful Force abilities to use the weapon and that's how their search for him tied directly into Starkiller Base.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I voted "like" simply cos I felt 'hate' was too strong a word. Really I would have preferred something else, but IMO I liked the idea in general. The science of it makes NO sense of course, but then again most of the science in SW doesn't-so I could'nt hold that against it. It basically comes down to visuals and general concept-and I guess I enjoyed that. I know it's like having a 3rd Death Star, but I kind of looked past it once we heard the Resistance members' dialogue comparing it to the other DS's. I like how they actually acknowledged that it's similar, rather than just saying nothing and assuming we wouldn't notice. And I especially enjoyed Han's line: They showed the size comparison of SB to the DS, and everyone gasps in shock, and Han's just like "OKAY, so it's BIG!" [face_laugh] Loved that.

I still would've enjoyed something else more.

Sarge and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think it was an okay idea that sort of got chopped up with the deleted scenes and various changes to the script

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  21. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    I thought the base was insanely over the top. The Death Star was cool, but to have an entire planet as a canon destroying worlds simultaneously is too much of a leap, too over the top imo. It looked great tho, great visuals, but its too much

Mange likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't like that TFA insulted DS1. I liked the Base fine if unoriginal. What wasn't cool was the ease of destroying it.

23. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm just dying to see everyone (First order....Rebels....Empire.....Alliance....Bounty hunters....Maz....The Hutts....) with a death star in EpVIII and a final scene which looks like a huge Pin-ball machine / game of marbles as it's climax.....

24. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Very bad idea... It's the most annoying thing about TFA. The attack and destruction of the Base is the worst part of it - the rehash is just too blatant. There's the same kind of homage in TPM (the assault on the Trade Federation ship) and it's done better, because it's not so obvious.

Btw. the scene with hologram comparison between DS and SB is just so clumsy, I hate it! 'Oh, and before you say it's another Death Star - you're wrong! It's much bigger!' It's almost insulting to think that you make it all good by throwing this little acknowledgement in the film.

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

IMO, it's not the attack and destruction of the base that's an issue. I thought that was handled pretty well. It's the introduction of the base, and its role in the broader narrative, that's the problem. There's no build up to it. It appears all of a sudden, and destroys the New Republic all of a sudden. It's like Chekhov's gun being introduced and fired in the same scene, and without any set up.

ewoksimon likes this.