main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I was responding to the claim made by LordDallos.

2. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Of course they say they weren't going for a scientific approach. That's the Star Wars catchphrase whenever something doesn't make any sense. Actions speak louder than words though. Starkiller Base was designed using bad interpretations of earthly scientific theories rather than creating something fantastical and original such as kyber crystals or the force.

3. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's completely baseless. Unless you want to include things like hyperspace in general in that category.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "A planet-turned-superweapon that shoots lasers through hyperspace". Please tell me how that in any way relates to "earthly scientific theories".

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I mentally checked out on this series in 1977 and went back to my science lab where it's safe. Sound and fire in space? Pleeeeeaaasssseee...

SunnyNelson and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    How JJ Abrams likes to watch TFA.

[​IMG]

7. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    It's far from baseless. Hyperspace counts as well. Hyperspace involves entering a 4th dimension. There is magical lore to explain the impossibilities.

8. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    See quintessence and phantom energy.

9. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    So you really believe that Lucas intended hyperspace to be scientifically plausible?

I'll add that I do push against the notion that Star Wars isn't science fiction, since that classification ignores a whole branch of the genre stemming from planetary romances and other forms of "soft" science fiction. But that's the point: not all stories featuring technology need to be grounded in plausible science. And I say this as someone in the STEM fields.

10. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Keeping the science aside, the idea that bigger and bigger death stars will bring peace to the fan-galaxy will backfire as much as other ideas in the past that were on the "bink" of insanity... [face_blush]

LordDallos likes this.
  11. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    What? No. that's the opposite of what I'm saying. Hyperspace works because it is given 'magical' properties and lore explanations. i.e. Traveling time and space by entering a 4th dimension. It's not scientifically possible but it's given a fantastical reason as to how it works. SKB does not.

I agree with you that there is some sci-fi in Star Wars and that the label shouldn't always be rejected when used to describe the universe. But SKB is just pseudoscience. At least sound in space adds to the excitement of the films. SKB adds exactly nothing to the universe other than bad lore.

Shadao and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

SKB works because it is given 'magical' properties and lore explanations. i.e. Channeling the energy of a star into an oscillator and directing it through a 4th dimension.

I don't see a difference.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not really sure why Starkiller Base itself is singled out. This civilization has artificial gravity and anti-gravity machines. Supersize those technologies and you can create Starkiller base. At that point it is just converting the stars energy into another form of energy. The only thing that goes beyond disbelief is being able to see the planets explode from light years away in real time. If this was actually a thing I would expect to see other similar phenomenon in the background of other scenes throughout the saga from all of the stuff going in and out of hyperspace every second through out the galaxy. Most of all a movie, or series of movies, has to be internally consistent with their "science" even if it isn't backed up by real world science, and in this case it was not.

Also please stop being up sound in space. Just because they use sound for dramatic effect does not mean there is literally sound in space. Unless you have a quote from a movie or George Lucas any argument that there is sound in space in the Star Wars universe is utterly idiotic.

15. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    The traveling laser beam, sure. Not how the energy is collected or weaponized.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And in the movie, do they spend any time telling us how that works? Maybe they do, but in that case I can't remember it.
    I'm sure there are EU explanations for it - possibly using big science-y words like quintessence or timey-wimey - but that goes for a lot of Star Wars tech; most of which is absolutely ridiculous from a scientific perspective.

I honestly can't see the difference between the magical fantasy tech of a lightsaber and the magical fantasy tech of Starkiller Base.

Artoo-Dion and Sarge like this.
  17. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    More like how the Internets like to watch TFA.

Artoo-Dion and Drac39 like this.
  18. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The SW pilot's explanation of how things work when he isn't sure,"Kriffing magic."

And this is the best explanation for how SKB works.

LordDallos
    You are not alone in your sentiments. I'll side with you in more depth when I can get a chance.

LordDallos and Sarge like this.
  19. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Who are the "they" you refer to?

20. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017

I kid you not. There is sound in space - and it's official canon. George Lucas himself said that "this is one of the basic tenets of Star Wars"...

Evidence added:
    http://billmoyers.com/content/mythology-of-star-wars-george-lucas/

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  21. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    Kyber crystals are magical objects which give the impossibility of the lightsaber foundation within the Star Wars universe. Starkiller Base has no mystical features to explain how it sucks up a sun and blows it out while its operators stand about 10 miles away, LOOKING at the blast of WEAPONIZED STARLIGHT as it reflects off Hux's eyes. The big difference here is that a lightsaber doesn't look unbelievable when you are seeing it on screen. And when you look it up, you can see how a lightsaber would be fathomable within the fictional laws of the Star Wars universe because of it's magical properties. Starkiller Base took me and a great deal of other viewers right out of the film because the scenes in which it is appears are objectively absurd. I went to do a little research on how they say this thing operates, hoping that they would apply some sense of mysticism to make that monstrosity a little bit less horrible. But they failed at that as well. There's no magic, no mysticism, no fantasy. Only a poor interpretation of scientific theories.

Those who crafted SKB.

Hyrum_Solo likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That is entirely subjective. For me, the SK beam is no more unbelievable than a lightsaber blade. Both break the laws of physics as we know them. I personally don't have any problem accepting one but not the other.

Artoo-Dion and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think a lot of the beefs about Starkiller Base could have been alleviated if it were aesthetically different from a Death Star.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    SK was the only Death Star-like weapon that actually did a huge damage to the Republic. So it is a win.

And to be true, SK is actually just a gun, a big one, mounted in a planet.

It remembers me of the WW1 Paris Gun and other rail guns.

Sarge likes this.
  25. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    That part may be subjective. But the fact that the lightsaber has mystical and magical lore to back up its foundations while Starkiller Base does not is an objective reality.