main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starkiller Base Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Starkiller Base - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

1. I liked Starkiller Base

100 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I hated Starkiller Base

225 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Spice Smuggler

Spice Smuggler Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    I get that they needed something to destroy the Republic government, show the galaxy that general Organa wasn't being paranoid about the first order by creating the resistance, and some that to drive the third act action. So they created star killer base and they made it similar to the death star IMO so they wouldn't have to dedicate much screen time to explaining the threat. Was it a bit lazy? Maybe. It wasn't my favorite thing about the movie.
    I'm VIII & IX I hope to see more originality in the threats. I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of those world Eater weapons from Dark Empire. Can't kill a fleet of those with an ace shot...

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Upon seeing TFA for the first time, I, like many others, thought that Starkiller Base was actually destroying Coruscant and its neighboring planets, not Hosnian Prime. In retrospect, I wonder if destroying Coruscant might have actually been a better idea. Yes, perhaps it would have been interpreted as a big middle finger to the prequel trilogy (of which I am a big fan), but it also would have made the stakes of the narrative much more palpable. The need to destroy Starkiller Base would be all the more urgent.

WebLurker likes this.
  3. Gordonai

Gordonai Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 26, 2014
    They said to Lawrence Kasdan " you've got TWO weeks to write the script so get going now cuz we go into production in exactly a fortnights time. Remember, just two weeks. No longer.' So he gave them what he gave them and then they went up to Scotland to shoot the movie. That's exactly what happened.

guittarjedi likes this.
  4. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    It felt really shoehorned in to me. It would be like if at the end f Empire Strikes Back another death star randomly appeared to destroy Bespin. There's no buildup to it and it doesn't really raise the stakes anyway. It also makes no sense from an in universe perspective. There is absolutely no way a project the size of the SKB could be completed without at least some knowledge of its construction leaking out. We're talking a massive project that surely has taken at least a decade and a significant amount of FO resources to complete. All it would take is a single defector or rebel spy to discover its existence.

5. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    I had no problem with Starkiller Base, seemed a logical progression of technology. Look at humankind, did we stop making bigger guns/bombs? No.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm torn on it. If you forget what came before it was great. Loved the design, the look, the way it has an atmosphere. I imagine as it moves through space the weather & seasons would change on the planet. Very cool concept. Unfortunately it has to lose points for unoriginality. On the other hand its crucial job in the story was to destroy the Republic capital & fleet. Therefore it will have important & hopefully valuable story ramifications for the rest of the trilogy. Overall I give it a pass. Just.

7. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I've had a hard time admitting my own feelings at that moment, but when I'm honest with myself, this was exactly how I felt as well. :(

As has been mentioned, if this was someone's introduction to Star Wars, it's probably sweet as hell; and maybe that's the "gamble" that was played by the powers-that-be: "Look, this is a proven plot device, the newbies are going to love it, and at the very worst, the die-hards will just see it as a lame homage. They'll get over it. Small price to pay".

I haven't given it a tremendous amount of thought plot-wise, but it seems if you took out SKB's weapon (and the hokey name), and are left to view the FO in its relative infancy, with home base being a freaking abandoned warehouse on a remote planet, the movie would have been fine and could have had a darker tone of a battle amongst equals. Gotta be honest, I'm getting a little tired of the theme of "a small band of nobodies doing the impossible" (please don't tell me that's what Star Wars is all about). It was made all the worse this time because they diagnosed SKB's design flaw on the fly by some Mensa member that got his doctorate in Thermal Oscillation. It was pretty insulting, even within the realm of SW's "faux-science".

I don't want to think that it's assumed that audiences need flash and good-guy victories for their own sake. Just tell me a good story with authentic characters, and have faith in my being able to stomach whatever you have to tell me.

8. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Starkiller Base is unforgiveably bad for repeating the same concept a third time.

9. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    They could have had the First Order Fleet "show itself" to the Galaxy and attack Hosnian Prime; all the events that took place on Starkiller Base could have occurred on the Finalizer.

I LOVE TFA, but Starkiller Base was 100% unnecessary.

guittarjedi likes this.
  10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ... Which is why it had to be destroyed.

11. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

The point is, it should have been destroyed on paper before it ever went to shooting the movie.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Too late now...

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It could of "worked" if the Resistance damaged SB instead of it being outright destroyed. Something different, the Superweapon survives. At least Tarkin 2.0 didn't stay on it til the end. That was different.

Long story short what a bad idea.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  14. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    To me, Starkilller Base is a rehash of the Death Star. The weapon being inside of a planet which cannot move or be mobile, especially after draining the power of its star and losing its gravity. There's no way for the weapon to be able to turn and fire like the Death Star did, especially on a large portion of the galaxy and Republic. It seems like it's only useful for few attempts. There also isn't much believability to the fact of the First Order being able to build a weapon of this scale, especially when the Empire took so long just to construct the first Death Star. Complaining has existed for years over the one in Return of the Jedi taking so short to build. This is even worse to me for Starkiller Base. It only makes sense if the Empire was quietly working on this during the first years of the Galactic Civil War.

It makes more sense to have some sort of rearmament in secret by the First Order. They are perhaps creating a new fleet, clone army, mobile super weapon, or something else which could threaten the Republic. The Republic will be the force to strike the First Orders target, not the Resistance.

15. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Ya; I think it would have made for an interesting twist if only the weapon had been damaged/destroyed as opposed to the planet. I always thought IF they were going the super weapon route in this installment, it would be kind of neat for this trilogy to focus on an "arms race" of the Resistance/Republic having to build their own Death Star in order to destroy Starkiller base, specifically on the ethical struggle of whether the ends always justifies the means; especially insofar as the Jedi are concerned.

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Ya; I think it would have made for an interesting twist if only the weapon had been damaged/destroyed as opposed to the planet. I always thought IF they were going the super weapon route in this installment, it would be kind of neat for this trilogy to focus on an "arms race" of the Resistance/Republic having to build their own Death Star in order to destroy Starkiller base, specifically on the ethical struggle of whether the ends always justifies the means; especially insofar as the Jedi are concerned.[/quote]

Speaking of an arms race wasn't the NR/Resistance building a superweapon called the Sledgehammer in an early draft?

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As a kid, I obsessed over the Death Stars. Don't know why exactly, but I just thought they were so cool. Had I been asked back then what I wanted in the sequels, I would've said "Death Star III".
    When I first saw TFA, I didn't care much for Starkiller Base, but the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to it actually. The design is neat, the visuals (interior, exterior, from space, the weapon destroying Hosnian Prime, etc.) are all stunning.

As with a lot of other aspects of this movie, my opinon might change when I've watched it at home a bunch of times, but for now - I'm going with "I liked Starkiller Base".

EDIT: Well, there was a point I was gonna make, but my feverish head forgot about it. The point was, since I loved the two previous Death Stars as a kid, Starkiller Base makes the kid in me happy. And considering this is Star Wars, everything that makes the kid in me happy makes it good in my book :)

18. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    The whole scene where they compared the Death Star and Starkiller base was just so silly.It felt like a saturday night live sketch.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  19. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
  20. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012