main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Starkiller in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 31, 2013.

?

Do you want Starkiller to appear in Star Wars: Rebels?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Should he eventually make his appearance in the series or should the Rebels dream team leave him out?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    He is an awesome concept for a character, but I think his role undermines the simplicity of the original ANH story in a way that's totally fine for a videogame, but has a negative ripple effect on non-videogame canon.

But by all means, get Sam Witwer in there as a lead. Great voice.

(Heheh, I feel like you've got something up your sleeve with these character polls... trying to have a little market research on hand to send to Lucasfilm? :p)

3. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, I love Starkiller, and this way we can get more lightsaber battles in the show without overusing Vader.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, please, i liked his character from TFU and have the original Voice Actor play him which is Sam Witwer :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Basically what PraenomenCognomen said.

The thing about Starkiller is that while his awe-inspiring feats work well in the context of a video game, his Force powers seem way too powerful compared to what has been shown onscreen in G-canon and most of TCW as well. Him being so powerful and able to stand toe-to-toe with Vader serves to trivialize the importance of Luke Skywalker, the galaxy's last hope, in the context of the OT. Hence, I do not want to see Starkiller as a major player in Rebels, though I won't mind if he makes a cameo, just not as a recurring character unless they really dial down his powers. Which brings me to another point, that he is largely a Gary Stu who not only performed some unprecedented Force feats like pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky, but also had a major hand in the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance. I really prefer not to see this story translated to the series, as that further puts undue importance on the role of a character who wasn't even conceived during the OT era and its associated EU prior to the turn of the century.

/end rant

I would love to see Sam Witwer do more VO work for Rebels though, perhaps for both Darth Maul and a new OC!

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yunno, I was originally mainly bothered by the whole thing about forming the Alliance, and I didn't care so much about the abilities themselves; part of me was willing to put that down to the "non-canon game mechanics" concession. BUT....

Circular, you just made me realize that even some of that bothers me, because you're right: he stands up against Vader and Palpatine both, and that reference point sorta quantifies those overblown powers to the point that they're not just "cool videogame stuff," and actually put him in a relative hierarchy of strength. Blahhh.

7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd grudgingly accept his presence if it was tastefully done, but 'proper' Star Wars shouldn't be hostage to the plots of computer games, no matter how popular they might be. He's far too powerful and the plot to create the rebel alliance is too simplistic.

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    ^ Yeah, I mean, heh... you think Bail Organa and Bel Iblis couldn't just, yunno, give each other a call, maybe? [face_rofl]

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    They'd effectively set up their political cabal by RotS anyway.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No Thank You. One of the worst characters in EU History. He works in a purely videogame context but when you bring him into the wider SWU its a major problem.

11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I understand your point. But let's look at Anakin Skywalker in TCW. In the PT, he was a whiny self-indulgent piss-ant who talked **** about Obi-Wan. In TCW, he was a likable, intelligent, mature albeit hotheaded individual who had a lot of charm and was a good friend with his former master, Obi-Wan. In Rebels, we could see a different take on Starkiller and perhaps the event of TFU. Maybe, TFU could sort of be like the micro-series: an exaggerated depiction of events in the Star Wars Saga while Rebels could show how things really happened. Perhaps Vader really did kill Starkiller in the end or perhaps Starkiller had help from Rahm Kota in defeating him? Maybe Starkiller never brought a Star Destroyer down towards a planet but could only Force-pull TIE Fighters? Maybe Starkiller wasn't ordered to leave every Stormtrooper or Rebel soldier dead, but was instead ordered to get past them as stealthily as possible before getting to his assassination target(with a few exceptions)? All I'm saying is that Star Wars: Rebels could in the end redeem Starkiller in the eyes of Star Wars fans everywhere.

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Exiled Jedi could be associated with the Rebellion, but I don't want to see one at the center of it. Why can't the disgruntled senators and oppressed citizens of the galaxy not rise up and organize themselves to become a threat to the Empire? I think something is lost when you say, "nope, a Jedi (actually a "secret" Sith apprentice) did it.... as part of a plan to flush out the Empire's enemies." Plus it just gets convoluted if you need to bring the audience up to speed on who Starkiller was and why he's now a clone... maybe. And I think the idea set by Filoni and Lucas was that pockets of resistance trained by the Republic to fight the Separatists are what unite to fight the Empire as well.

TFU had a decent story IMO, but I think it's impractical to adapt into the TV show and that they shouldn't try.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Starkiller is brought into Rebels.

Dave Filoni, horrified at the power of Starkiller, then one-ups his Waifu to beat him at his own game. He writes up an episode depicting exactly how the Lusankya was lowered down and buried on Coruscant. The episode working title is The Freud Gambit.

Joking aside, I'm not sure how I feel about Starkiller being in it. I have a feeling he will be, since according to GL, the TFU games are full canon, but I think they should tone his power down a bit. At times in the game he was turning people to dust like the Phoenix Force or something. I call that overpowered. Maybe some ancient Sith lord, or some Sith at the absolute top of his game could do this sort of thing (Nihilus, Kun, Sadow, NJO Palpatine) but not some guy who's only about 18. If they do tone him down I'd be fine with it, but if he is as ultra powerful as in the game I think it would be hard to avoid his appearances being awful.

Circular_Logic and V-2 like this.
  14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Because of George Lucas' intimate involvement with the creation of the characters and storyline of the first TFU game, I hold these elements in a higher regard than I otherwise may have (I've always been a proponent of seeing the maker's view, even if I'm not always crazy about some of the results).

As such, these characters and their stories are a "go" for me, and as they have been shown to play such an important role in the lives of the major players and events of the time, yes, I think it would be appropriate to have them appear in Rebels.

I like the characters of Starkiller, Rahm Kota, Juno Eclipse (even if I'm not enthralled with that name) and PROXY, and I'd be in favor of seeing them show up, but, as with so many of us, there is one important caveat: The Force powers simply must be brought to a level commensurate with G and T-canon depictions. It's vital in order to maintain any semblance of consistency. For that matter, I'd like to see any duel between Marek and Vader end in either a draw where Marek is fortunate to escape with his life, or even a victory for Vader. The over-the-top Force powers and a victory against a boss-level opponent in Vader may have been fine for a video game, but I feel that considerations should be made before any appearance in a different medium is green-lighted.

Now, if these conditions were met (listen to me go on as if I've any say in the matter), I'd personally welcome Starkiller and his gang with open arms. This is doubly true if Sam Witwer were cast in the role of Marek. I've always enjoyed Witwer's work with the franchise, and who better to voice the character that brought Sam to Star Wars in the first place?

15. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The quality of the actual gameplay aside, the story of the first TFU worked for me. The Star Destroyer being brought down from the sky was overkill, and I wish it was omitted from the novel (which, of course, tells the story better than the game). You could always argue that it was the will of the Force for Starkiller to set the Rebellion into the place it needed to eventually win 6 years later (or... 21 years later ;) ), and that was what allowed him to perform such feats.

They even gave his character a strong end by having him sacrifice himself for the Rebellion, and though his romance with Juno wasn't anything unique, it was also given payoff.

Then... the second story released. An army of uber-powerful Force clones. Yeah. I know there's Joruus C'boath in the Thrawn trilogy (and I'm not too happy about that either... just glad there were obviously adverse effects of cloning a Force-sensitive).

In fact, I despise the whole concept of being able to clone Force potential. It's not a good plot device, and it leaves you wondering why the Sith wouldn't just clone themselves over and over again instead of spending decades recruiting Acolytes.

Basically, despite enjoying his character initially, I've found the quality of TFU2's story so bad that I really just want to ignore his existence. Let's see what they do with his character in Rebels, if they do use him. I always go into SW with an open mind - surely TCW pulling off Maul's brother, Mortis and Maul himself should demonstrate a need for that.

TreborSabreon and Circular_Logic like this.
  16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    It would be nice if Ahsoka were powered up in the series given how much of a weakling she was in TCW, especially in Season 5. Perhaps she could move a speeder towards some mooks with the Force and try to crush 'em with it? That would be nice. Also, as for using the Force to lower down Star Destroyers, that shouldn't happen, but if there were going to be an exception, Palps should do that.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Ahsoka was too weak? How?

I disagree with Palpatine. Even if he could do it (ignoring EU Force Storms), there's no reason to. Palpatine is at his most deadly when he is manipulating people and pulling strings. There's no reason to have such over-the-top Force powers IMO.

V-2 and FARK2005 like this.
  18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    The first TFU was pretty fun, but I dont like the idea of a secret apprentace in 'real' Star Wars.
    Everything in the game was O.P.; From the force powers to PROXY.

Please leave it in the realm of 'fun toys'

V-2 likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not a huge fan of Starkiller, but I don't really like how he's so far entirely contained within TFU. Compare Shadows of the Empire and how much coverage Xizor has gotten since. I just want the guy to get some more exposure.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If he is in it, he needs to be way less powerful than he was in the game. The stuff he did was ridiculous, like the old Clone Wars cartoon where Mace Windu took out a whole army of SBDs.

21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Was the game the thing that dictated the narrative of the books and comics in the Shadows project though?

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Doesn't really matter. They were both conceived the exact same way- everything that goes along with a film, yet no actual film. SOTE has influenced so much of the EU and even TCW. TFU is so far extremely self-contained.

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought he's in Dark Lord..?

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I thought Lurker was joking.

I hope Lurker was joking.

Anyway, I'm in complete agreement with you on your thoughts of Marek, enjoying the story of TFU and being miffed at and mystified with TFU2. I could have written the post myself.

After reading the TFU novel, I really felt there was at least the kernel of an interesting character to play with, so I say bring him on board Rebels and give us Starkiller's "real" story, not the video game version. With T-canon outranking the level of the video games, we can then relegate the over-the-top silliness to the non-canon abyss where it belongs.

07jonesj likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope. That was a completely different Battle of Kashyyyk. I know, confusing.

Not to mention, Dark Lord came out 3 years before TFU.

VanishingReality likes this.