main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Starkiller in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 31, 2013.

?

Do you want Starkiller to appear in Star Wars: Rebels?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So? Qui-Gon is 60 when he dies, which is pretty much the same age Obi-Wan is when he dies. Obi-Wan only looks old because he lives on the harsh deserts of Tatooine for 20 years. Most people in the GFFA don't look "old" until they reach 70-80. And also, Anakin was different, since he was encased in armor for half his life and had suffered severe physical trauma.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, she's not human.
    Togruta may age differently.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  3. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I do my best to pretend TFU doesn't exist. That game is evidence #1 why most video games shouldn't count as cannon.

Palpatine- "Hey I just had a great idea! Lets round up the leaders of separate Rebel groups and imprison them on my uncompleted Top Secret planet destroying machine! What could go wrong??"

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol yeah that was sad

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, actually, not that much, as the station was filled to the brim with Stormtroopers and additionally Vader was personally overseeing the prisoners. Starkiller only succeeded due to his dumb luck and über-powers.

6. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    And because he is the player. That's my point.
    I'm fine with games having over-the-top powerful people and crazy revelations, just don't expect me to take it seriously as an entry in the saga.

The Hellhammer, Darth_Pevra and V-2 like this.
  7. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Uhh... you realize that there's been plenty of stupid **** in non-video game media that is still considered canon, right? Hell, if we're listing the top five most ridiculous things in the EU, I don't think Starkiller would even make the list.

That said, Imma say "no" to him appearing in Rebels. The only thing interesting about the character right now is what happens to him after TFU2's open ending. Seeing him running around killing Jedi in his youth isn't going to push his character along at all.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    The fact remains its still a dumb idea to imprison rebels on your top secret super weapon.

Darth_Foo likes this.
  9. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008

This, plus the "I can think Star Destroyers to death". If it were possible for a novice light-side Jedi to do that, why on earth didn't Obi-Wan do it when they were being chased off Tatooine? Filed in my "conflicts with films, therefore not canon" mindbox along with the half-Maul cameo in TCW.

Not even going to get into the screwing up of the Skywalker storyline.

Darth_Pevra and VanishingReality like this.
  10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Really I just don't see any real reason, or any way Galen could be seriously included into the series and have it work.

Completely agree, but I think one has to admit that arrogant actions like that are par for the course where Palpatine is concerned.

11. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Yeah, it's like, after his absolutely ingenious master plan to take over the galaxy went off almost without a hitch, he suddenly decided that he didn't need strategy any more. He used up all his reservoirs of smart on the galaxy-conquering thing.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That's the Emperor for you.

13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It is, yes, especially in the sense that, as Luke observed, Sidious' overconfidence was his weakness.

That said, it always seemed a case to me where the Emperor was busy overseeing the completion of the DS-1 and, as he fully intended to see the Rebels executed, anyway, it didn't matter to him where the prisoners were kept.

After all, the Death Star would later be used to house high profile prisoners like Leia, anyway, and from the look of things, I wouldn't be surprised if the detention levels were either at, or near completion when the Alliance leadership was aboard. Let's be honest, the Death Star, of all things, really should be a place considered secure, no? I imagine the opportunity to display his power and gloat in front of his 'rivals' was just too delicious for the old man to pass up.

On top of all that, though I could be mistaken, didn't Sidious and Vader think Marek dead at this point, anyway?

Darth_Pevra and Mia Mesharad like this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Ye olde opinion gauge thread since he seems kinda controversial.

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't want to see him. Not even if he is toned down.

eht13 likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't have a problem with Vader having a secret apprentice but I do have a problem with more-powerful-than-Vader-and-Palps, Rebellion-founding Sith.

As long as he's weaker than Vader and Palps and none of the 3 characters mentioned in this sentence have anything to do with the foundation of the Rebellion, I have no problem with Starkiller appearing in Rebels.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I voted "okay if toned down a bit" like Genndy's Grievous he is overpowerful but he don't need to be toned down so much as GG :p No need to show him being defeated by gungans.....

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The best moment in Star Wars Rebels: Jar Jar vs Starkiller!

Anyway I'd like to see him in any form.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Didn't we already have this thread before? http://boards.theforce.net/threads/starkiller-in-rebels.50012636/

Here's what I had to say back then:
    I will qualify my old rant by saying that I'll be OK with Galen Marek appearing provided his powers are toned down and that he doesn't figure as too major a character in the plot; basically just a cameo appearance for a single arc.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    The thing I don't get with Starkiller is the huge fan base he has. People are always chastising the Expanded Universe and its stores, characters, and yes, even its fans, but then something silly like The Force Unleashed comes along and many are ok with? Yeah, it was "sanctioned" by Lucas, sure, whatever. I haven't heard that one before.

There's nothing wrong with Vader having a secret apprentice, per se, but Starkiller himself completely trivializes so many things on so many different levels. And then they have to shoe-horn him into the Rebellion... The amount of people I've come across that bash the New Jedi Order project and then support something like TFU just really baffles my mind, and you are correct, reader, this is not the thread to discuss about this. Just don't even get me started on Starkiller or TFU. I've been down that road before and I really don't want to go down it again, lol.

You can use deductive reasoning to guess which option I voted for in the poll.

RogueIce and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Repost from the other active general 'characters in Rebels' thread:

I'm not unsympathetic to concerns over [TFU 1's] depiction of the Rebel Alliance, as I agree that the everyman nature of the rebellion is a large part of its charm. That said, as far as in-universe, I can, of course, see the benefit of welcoming a gifted Force-user to the cause (though this tends to step on the toes of Luke, and what he uniquely brought to the table). Not only that, but the EU already had a long-standing history of introducing other Force-users to the cause of the Alliance/fledgling New Republic, so it didn't feel like much of a new thing to me. Still, that Luke was no longer considered to be the one to introduce the Force to side of the Alliance is an annoyance to me.

Should Marek ever show up in the higher levels of canon, there are definitely things beyond the over-the-top Force powers I'd rather were changed, specifically the particulars of his victories over Vader and Sidious, which I not only find highly improbable, but inappropriate for the larger saga, as a whole (where it jeopardizes even more critical aspects of Luke's story).

Marek's turn to the light side, along with its attendant love story, was a bit ham-fisted and overly-simplistic, for my liking, as well, but - fairly or not - as with the Force powers and the need for a final victory over a 'big boss,' I tend to put it's shortcomings largely down to the video game setting.

I know it sounds like there's nothing I do like about the guy and his story, but this is not the case. There are definite qualities of the first TFU game, it's characters and storyline that I appreciate. I think there is the kernel of an interesting character and the potential of an intriguing story within the game. Mia Mesharad did a fine job of stating the case for including Starkiller during his service to Vader (though it would seem The Inquisitor has been created for somewhat the same purpose), not to mention the benefit of including Witwer in the role, too.

I do see potential. It's just that, as I said, were it up to me, in order to ensure the proper tailoring of the story to the saga at large, there are a few things I'd be certain to alter a bit prior to green-lighting a Rebels, Live Action Show, or even a potential stand-alone feature film appearance for the character of Galen Marek. [The one thing I neglected to mention is that you can take TFU II's 'story' and kick it to the curb and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it]

Which is all my rather long-winded way of saying I voted "I'm OK with him being in it as long as he's toned down a bit."

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't have a problem with him being in it

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    DO NOT WANT.

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Really, the only place he'd be able to appear is after his appearance in TFU2 - assuming you're not just planning to have a crazy clone Marek show up, only to die immediately.

Since that takes place in 1 BBY, there isn't much chance of appearing in Rebels if they want to keep the existing two stories canon.

25. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    No. Let him be washed away with all the other failings of the EU.

Lady_Misty, RogueIce, V-2 and 3 others like this.