main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starships/Vehicles/Tech of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Dec 22, 2015.

1. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    For those who think it's weird/stupid/silly to have upgraded/new versions of TIEs and X-Wings etc serving 34ABY, bear in mind the United States' F-15 Eagle fighter has been around since the early 1970s - the F-16 since the mid-70s - and both are still going in upgraded versions, only now getting replaced by new aircraft....and even then the replacements, for example the F-22, were in development for 20yr before deployment. Not to mention the B-52 bomber and C-130 transport, both STILL going after 60 years! If there's no full-scale war on (be it WW2 or Empire v Rebels) then technological advancements in warplanes slow. I get the impression FO v Resistance is a low-intensity conflict...at least until TFA!

I'm excited to see new versions of old things, especially if they actually change the original design (such as TIE/SF having a turret and a second seat). But I would love to see new things.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I hope to see v-wings and T-wings.

3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I think it's time for some Aurebesh-based fighters. I don't know the keyboard codes to type them, so I'll spell them out phonetically.

I'd like to see Mern-wings, Nern-wings, Krenth-wings, and Nen-wings. Enth-wings might be cool, too. Onith-wings might be derivative of the A-wing. A Jenth-wing would have nice curvature. I could see Xesh-wings flying around in the Unknown Regions.
    [​IMG]

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Aurek would make for a good fighter. Similar to the Mando ones
    [​IMG]

5. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    With the main republic fleet ostensibly destroyed, maybe it'll be all hands on deck. Meaning, every able bodied person/creature with piloting skills and ship will be called into action. In that regard, maybe we'll see some vintage as well as radically modified ships enter the fold.

6. Madsci73915

Madsci73915 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2014
    It could also be that the seemingly old a wings that are shown in some of the behind the scenes pics are something like old fighters that Luke or someone had secreted at the old Jedi acedemy or Act-to or something similiar that he and Rey or something else similar are forced to use. Although I probably have too much Legends in me in that I can't see Luke flying any other fighter than an X-wing, maybe a Jedi variant :D

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

The A-Wings are newer variants, much like the updated X-Wings.

8. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    I'm excited to see the new vehicles in TLJ. Besides Poe's Black One and Kylo's shuttle, none of the new ones in TFA stood out to me. It would've been nice to see more new designs along with the updated classics. I don't have any problem with the Resistance having X-Wings and A-Wings, but I still want the First Order to have more of their own ships that are unique rather than the standard TIEs and Star Destroyers. I definitely like the new ships in RO, especially the U-Wing.

Also, I was going to post this elsewhere but decided to leave it here to see what you think. This thing is just incredible.
    [​IMG]
    More of it here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3meOJ

9. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    The more Royal Guards, the better, IMO. It'd be even better if they finally were able to do something on screen though.

10. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I really want to see some New Republic newer X-wings and or A-wings, and or some pls Y-wings (however they're quite old at this point) also some First Order Tie interceptors or bombers I would love

plus pls some left over New Republic Warships that weren't destroyed by Starkiller base like I really wanna see another fleet vs fleet battle sometime in the next two movies and I'd like for the New Republic not to be entirely wiped out pretty much making the rebellion's achievements void

dekaneas, vncredleader and Verbal21 like this.
  11. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm with you all the way. I'm really hopeful we'll finally get to get the true successor of the OT X-Wings with a T-85.

Anybody have comparisons with the OT A-Wing and the newer one we saw Prince Harry sitting in?

Snafu55 likes this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope the First Order one ups the Empire's AT-AT and designs a vehicle inspired by a sloth.

13. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm picturing something that looks like the new Power Rangers movie Mastadon when you say that [face_laugh]

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Now I want them to reveal that Phasma is actually the silver power ranger. It all makes sense.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Definitely at least one large New Republic ship. They shot in a hangar (The Princes visit) and there's the footage of an X-Wing coming in to land in a hangar as well.

Seems to be just the cockpit that has changed, maybe the tail fins are smaller as well?

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hire this person, LFL! That's an awesome design! I only wish it were in the movie now!

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Time for my favorite part of the forums. Explaining minor differences in ship models!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

New one:
    [​IMG]

So the big difference outside of color is the blaster's being new. They actually resemble the original concept blasters more than the ROTJ version. There are also added bumps right at the front before the cockpit.
    [​IMG]

Like you said, the cockpit has been changed. Rather than it ending and there being a solid chunk of ship behind it that the hinge connects to, the cockpit is not going right to the aft.
    [​IMG]
    This also gives a good look at the much thicker blasters. My guess is the new models are improved in that they now pack more punch.
    [​IMG]

Another change is that the original had more of a straight line going from the bow to the middle of the ship and blasters. On this one the ship's middle is thicker and actually curves out to the guns as opposed to the guns just sorta sitting a bit away from the body of the ship. The entire thing is more curves than angled which is interesting. In fact it seems much flatter and longer in terms of width especially with the middle extending out more to the sides than before.

So yeah not much of an overhaul but then again the A-wing is a perfect ship so no sense changing to much.

18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Plus we get to see blue ones as well :D

vncredleader likes this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that is the most exciting part! I love seeing ships we saw before but with new colors. Fingers crossed for a green X-Wing.

Alien Vanguard and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Am I still the only one that thinks the Falcon is going to get destroyed in TLJ or Ep. 9?

21. spectator

spectator Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 6, 2017

Ok, I'll bite. What makes you think that?

22. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Jeez, i hope not. It can take a couple more beatings can't it?[face_nail_biting]. Besides, I've always (note: since Han died) envisioned Chewie "going down with the ship" and i can't bear to see him go as well.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It just seems like a dramatic emotional surprising moment that would appear in a blockbuster film. In every other blockbuster franchise like, Star Trek, the Marvel movies, some random Michael Bay movie, eventually the big iconic ship, super suit, headquarters etc...gets blown up. Seems like Star Wars is about due for something like that. We expect the Death Stars to get blown up. We expect the Star Destroyers to um...get destroyed, we expect to see X-wings shot to bits, but the Falcon always survives.

I could imagine them using the destruction of the Falcon as some form of symbolism. Out with the old, in with the new. Perhaps they'll salvage the cockpit and attach it to a new ship for Rey?

11-4D likes this.
  24. spectator

spectator Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 6, 2017

A reasonable idea, but could just as well happen in 9, no?

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh absolutely. If it happens at all I think Ep. 9 will be it. The Falcon getting blown up will substitute for any of the remaining OT characters being killed off.