main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Starships/Vehicles/Tech of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It looked to me that they were pierced by shards of either the Raddus or the Supremacy, flying at superluminal speeds.

2. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Absolutely.
    That final act in Crait was and had everything i wanted.

3. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Benicio Del Toro's character, DJ revealed to Finn onboard his stolen ship that the businessmen of Canto Bight sells weapons not just to the First Order but also The Resistance. I am hoping to see a new variant and design of the starfighter fleet for the new Rebellion and this is where a new clean slate design will and can come in. The time gap between Episodes VIII and IX will give the chance for the Rebellion to build up their army from scratch with the help of the allies arriving ( hopefully ) from the distress signal.

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Perhaps I have imagined it or misheard it, but it sounds like Rose calls them "skim-speeders". Merchandise, books, and StarWars.com list them as ski speeders, but it sounds more like she's calling them skim-speeders, with someone later mentioning the ski stabilizer. Has anyone else heard her say "skim-speeder"?

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    They're both known as "ski speeders" and "skim-speeders" (Rose did say it).

MarcJordan and Siphonophore like this.
  6. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Potato-Patahto. They didn't do anything in this movie aside from be a callback to the snwospeeders and carve up trails of red dust. In fact, they preformed even lower than my expectations, and they were already pretty low.

7. knight-of-NJO

knight-of-NJO Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    Spoilers:

Check out this awesome vid about Holdo's maneuver and what it can mean for Ep IX:

- :)

8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    We know Rian asked J.J. to switch BB-8 for R2 on Ahch-To. I wonder if either Gareth or Rian asked J.J. to not have Leia's Sledgehammer ship/weapon in TFA.
    While we never saw a Sledgehammer in Rogue One, Raddus had the idea to call for a Hammerhead Corvette to push a Star Destroyer. Then, in TLJ, Holdo was perhaps inspired by Raddus, pushing The Raddus into The Supremacy.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/concept-art-of-leias-sledgehammer-weapon.50035911/

Sarge likes this.
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So, I was watching TLJ for about the 5th time the other day and something struck me - Do the ski speeders on Crait used by the Resistance even shoot?? I didn't see a single one fire! They have guns attached so I assume they can so what the... [face_dunno]

I re-watched the scene several times and couldn't find a single shot fired from any of them. You can see the ground forces fire, the walkers fire, the Tie fighters fire etc etc

Was this some kind of oversight or did I miss something...?

Anyone??

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread merged and title updated.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Anyone??

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Not really. The entire sequence was pretty stupid on a character level and on a conceptual level so if they just didn't even bother animating cannon fire due to that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I haven't seen it in a while. Were there any moments in the battle when the speeders could have fired? It seems to me that for most of the battle, the First Order forces were too far away and too heavily armored to be worth shooting at, and the TIEs were moving too fast and too high.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Having watched it yesterday, yes the ski speeders absolutely fire. Rose fires at least once herself, maybe twice. Judging by the sound effects in background, there may have been more examples.

For the second time I just felt kinda down when the camera focused on the A-Wing early in the movie. TFA was bad enough about X-Wings vs TIE fighters, but then TLJ adds A-Wings on top of that. The lack of creativity is just sad.

I do kinda like the bombers, despite being reminiscent of B-Wings, they're certainly different enough to be their own thing. Which is how I like it. I just love bombers in general, even in space. The only drawback is how terribly slow they are in TLJ, they're a bit too slow, even for what the sequence is going for. The sequence isn't great, but the payoff was pretty good. Overall, maybe one of better sequences of the ST just on cool factor alone, which the ST has sorely lacked, imo. I do think RJ gets how Star Wars starfighter battles work better than JJ does. RJ used better angles and follows the action better.

I thought the stern chase was a decent idea at first, but it did get really repetitive and boring. We just keep going back and seeing the exact same thing.

Good to see TIE fighters get some for once and rip up the resistance ground forces on Crait. I'm big on making TIE fighters at least a decent threat and not just easy target practice. I like them more the way they are portrayed in ANH, as a threat to the Falcon and hard to hit, and very much competitive with the Rebels during the Death Star battle. But then Rey shows up and destroys three with one shot.

MasterPrince713 and Sarge like this.
  15. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    They do but it really doesn't matter, does it? The speeders don't make a distinctive sound. Probably either a generic laser sound or a copy of an OT blaster. And against the FO Walkers they might as well be throwing bits of rice at them. So, really, it doesn't matter.

Don't bother using a YouTube vid for a reference, they cut the fight up every 30 seconds.

16. Sarlacc of Carkoon

Sarlacc of Carkoon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2015
    I think someone should give Rian a physics lesson

17. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Supremacy is the helmet of Lord Helmet in Space Balls. It is exempt from critique about physics the way Space Balls is exempt from critique about physics.

18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Man, this is Star Wars forum. People extensively discuss about Yoda killing insects by burning a tree. What do you think?

Bor Mullet and AhsokaSolo like this.
  19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Laser bolts across the sky,
    Bending make why wonder why,
    Rian Johnson by the by,
    Had to ruin The Last Jedi

20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The absurdity of this physics fiction pales in comparison to the idea of SKB absorbing a star.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    In TFA, we saw the Starkiller laser split into 5 directions and hit all the planets dead on. How did Starkiller direct the the five split lasers???

I think by now the audience has to suspend their disbelief.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    zackm likes this.
  22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh yeah. That too.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  24. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I'm wondering if Kenner's prototype for the All Terrain Ion Cannon from the abandoned "The Epic Continues" 1986 line might have been an inspiration for the AT-M6:

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Horror_Express like this.
  25. The battle of MAW station

The battle of MAW station Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2013
    Looks like we will see Darth Vader's original Tie advanced after all in episode 9, or at least part of it (the cockpit from the interceptor in the trailer). Really thought we were going to see this in episode 8 though. I guess VIPs were reading my prediction threads for episode 8.