main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starting a collection of novels post-ROTJ, help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Canon, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Canon

Darth_Canon Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2001
    Yes I'm new to the EU but I don't want to annoy anyone by asking newbie questions, I would just like some help and advise so please bear with me.

From following this forum I've developed an interest in the NJO, however being a bit of a perfectionist I don't just want to jump straight in there for fear of missing anything. Basically I don't want to read about characters or events in the NJO I know nothing about so I've compiled the following list of novels from TFN:

The Truce At Bakura
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    I, Jedi
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber by Kevin
    Planet of Twilight
    The Crystal Star
    Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
    The New Rebellion
    The Corellian Trilogy
    The Hand of Thrawn
    Survivor's Quest

I was stunned by the number of books there are! To reduce this I excluded the X-wing series as I assume they aren't based on characters or events I need to know before NJO (although please correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question is are there any other books above I could skip that wont leave me clueless in the NJO? Don't worry about quality, I will gladly read good and bad as long as I dont miss any relevant stuff. Hopefully this doesn't come across as "Where should I start in the EU?" or "What should I read?". I do intend to read them all eventually when I finish the NJO.

Finally, before I start my collection what is the deal with hardback and paperback? I picture having all the novels post-ROTJ sitting neatly on my shelf someday however some I find are in hb and some in pb. Do all books eventually get a hb release or just some?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to joining in the discussion when I catch up.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, the X-Wing books are somewhat important to the NJO series. Or at least, they introduce a substantial amount of characters that populate those books (Corran Horn, Gavin Darklighter etc). Well worth reading, as they're all quite good.
    I'd also recommend picking up the Dark Empire comic tpb. It's pretty important to the overall story (and is set between X-Wing # 8: Isard's Revenge and the Jedi Academy Trilogy).

SOME of the novels get a hardback treatment, but all of them eventually make it to paperback. Usually the hardcover become softcover something like 9 months after the hardcover release.

3. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm going to second the idea of reading the X-Wing books. I tried to skip them and they turn out to be fairly integral, some major events (i.e. the taking of Coruscant) happen in them that are then referenced later. Also, Dark Empire, again referenced later so kinda useful. Also, Rogue Planet, it's actually a PT book but it affects NJO. And ironically the Young Jedi Knights books, they aren't the greatest books ever but they do introduce a lot of the younger jedi that appear as more important characters in NJO.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You will want to add Rogue Planet to your list. Although it takes place 3 years after TPM certain events have repercussions in the NJO books.

5. jedishilo

jedishilo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    If I may add my 2 cents on this matter. I found myself in your position some time ago wanting to read the NJO but not having read much of the other books. I just dove in and read the books all out of sequence. That sucks. Try reading these books in this order.

Truce at Bakura
    Rogue Squadron
    Wedge's Gamble
    The Krytos Trap
    The Bacta War
    Wraith Squadron
    Iron Fist
    Solo Command
    The Courtship Of Princess Leia
    Heir To The Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Dark Empire(comic)
    Dark Empire 2(comic)
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions Of The Force
    Specter Of The Past
    Vision Of The Future

Then you'll be ready for Vector Prime, my personal favorite in the Galaxy far, far away. The books listed here are your basic, core story books. You could read the rest I left out if you wanted. Some are great, some really suck. But these will give all the info I would have wanted. Also, I don't care what anyone says the Young Jedi Knight series was horrible. Don't bother with it.

6. Darth_Canon

Apr 27, 2001
    Thanks for your input everyone. Looks like I was a bit hasty in skipping the X-wing series.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The NJO does reference quite a bit of what came before it- sort of a climax to the whole post-ROTJ era.

Probably the only three books that don't have a significant impact on NJO plotlines would be The New Rebellion, Planet of Twilight & Crystal Star, but even then, i think there are references to the crisis in POT.

Other than that, pretty much every post-ROTJ book contributes something to the NJO...and you might even want to throw in Shadows of the Empire or even the Han Solo Trilogy/Han Solo Aventures, which though set pre-ROTJ, do make some overall contributions.

Truce...
    X-Wing 1-7
    Courtship
    Ghost
    Thrawn Trilogy
    X-Wing 8
    Dark Empire
    Jedi Academy
    I Jedi
    Children
    Darksaber
    X-Wing 9
    Black Fleet
    Corellian
    Hand

8. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    You're really best off reading everything that's after ROTJ with the exception of the comics (aside from Dark Empires, unfortunately. Possibly Crimsom Empire too, if you can find it. I didn't, but apparently its useful.) You can try skipping portions of it, but you're in effect skipping an entire era. Not a particularly good era, but an era nonetheless.

If you insist on skipping parts I'd sugest reading:
    X-Wing 1-7
    Courtship
    Dream
    Thrawn Trilogy
    X-Wing 8
    (That covers the rebellion/early days era)

Academy
    Black Fleet
    Corellian
    Hand of Thrawn
    one of the Divirsity Alliance young Jedi Knights books (You could probably blame that Alliance on the Vong)
    (The New Republic Era)

Dark Empire isn't nessecary since things won't make too much more sence even if you do read it.

As for Rogue Planet, lest you be spoiled, read it after Destiny's Way.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Possibly Crimsom Empire too, if you can find it. I didn't, but apparently its useful

Actually, CEII would be more useful than CE as it introduces a certain NJO character. Aside from Wedge, I don't remember any character who appeared in CE who also appeared in the NJO. But a major NJO character was introduced in CEII, though he plays a fairly minor role there.

Corran Horn, Tycho Celchu, Gavin Darklighter, Mirax Terrik Horn, and Booster Terrik are all introduced, publication wise, in the X-wing novels and all appear in the NJO, though not all play important rolls.

You might also want to read the Young Jedi Knights books (Jedi Sunrise and Jedi Shadow collect the first six books into two anthologies and should be a little easier to find) as they introduce at least three of the younger Jedi who appear in the NJO. And if you can find them and are simply looking to read some of the books that introduce characters, try the Junior Jedi Knight books for Tahiri as she'll play a role in the NJO.

10. Darth_Canon

Apr 27, 2001
    Right so it looks like I'm going to be reading all of the books post-ROTJ. I never really wanted to skip any but my main desire was to read the NJO so I thought maybe some stuff could wait until I finished that. Now I see there's another trilogy coming out followed by another 9 books! I better get reading.

Books pre-ROTJ, I think I'll just hold off on them for now and risk it although I have actually read Shadows of the Empire (the only book I've ever read). Someone mentioned it above so I was wondering what is it's connection to NJO?

As for the comics people mentioned (DE & CE), I never had any before and I didn't think I ever would but you have convinced me. Just one problem, I'm in the UK and I'm having problems finding DE online. CE is on amazon but DE is only second hand and expensive. Any UK readers know where to look?

Thanks again.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Someone mentioned it above so I was wondering what is it's connection to NJO? <<

Human Replica Droids come into play in one book, and a relatively recent short story connected them to Guri and a relative of Dash Rendar. I could be wrong, but I think there were one or two other small connections. Black Sun probbaly gets a mention or too. Durga shows up here and there in other books.

12. Darkside_ofthe_Floyd

Darkside_ofthe_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    Hey I'm new here to (this is my first post) but I'm not new to EU literature having read most of the post ROTJ books. There are really three key series that are needed to have the basic back story to the NJO.

The X-Wing series: An excelent series in its own right it introduces the some key players in the expanded universe (Corran, ect) and expands greatly on those introduced in the movies (Wedge, Akbar, ect). It is also just a good general introduction to the EU, not majorly influenced by individual EU specific events but a gental ease in to the EU backstory.

The Thrawn trilogy: A definate must read not only an excelent set of books but also containing some vital information to an understanding of the EU. As a supplement to this the Hand of Thrawn books if only as they chart a relationship that will crop up offten in the NJO.

The Jedi Accademy trilogy: Not a bad read, but essential if you want to understand the history of the Jedi present in NJO and the backstory of the Yavin accademy. This is supplimented by the novel I, Jedi which is a excellent read and also pads out accademy life.

Filler books such as Children of the Jedi and New Rebellion aren't essential reads for the NJO, and unlike many here I have never read the Dark Empire comics or tpb though I've always tried to ignore it's contents.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>though I've always tried to ignore it's contents<<

Which is sorta difficult since their events factor into the state of affairs in JAT and heavily into discussions in IJ and HOT.

14. Darkside_ofthe_Floyd

Darkside_ofthe_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    IJ is my faveourite Star Wars novel I've read it more then anyother and in no way did I feel that DE affected it at all. Even in HOT it dosen't have any real significance all you need to know is that after Thrawn the last remenants of what was the Empire has more or less collapsed in to warlord states which the New Republic has gobbled up.

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The only things worth reading are,

Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future

If you like a good read, I would also recommend I, Jedi.

The rest are a waste of time.

The Timothy Zahn books add so much to Star Wars and are a great story.
    Read them.
    The rest is unimportant.

-Seldon

16. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yeah, the Rogues and the Wraiths factor fairly prominently into the NJO. I think the list of books to exclude would be shorter than the books to include.
    Post ROTJ books you don't have to read to understand the NJO:
    The Bounty Hunter Wars
    Crystal Star
    Darksaber
    Planet of Twilight
    The New Rebellion

I agree with the general concensus on the DE trilogy. Read it, along with CEII if you can. Also, Rogue Planet is pretty important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.