main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starting out with the the Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by GabeBGB, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeBGB

GabeBGB Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2013
    To start with, I have seen the Original trilogy and the other three. And lately I have been wanting to know more about the Expanded Universe for the Original Trilogy, but I want to know where to start. I don't really know much about the Star Wars Galaxy outside of the three films.
    What books should I read? And what should I start with?

Additional, I would love anything to do with the Empire and how it works. Hope you can help, thanks.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    GrandAdmiralJello can help you with Empire specific books.

I think mostly the consensus is to read Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) and I would suggest the X-wing novels by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston as well. Both series start immediately following Return of the Jedi.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'll find the most information about the Empire in reference books. The Imperial Sourcebook is your first stop. Next you'll want to read the Dark Empire Sourcebook -- there's a good bit about Imperial high society in the Shadows of the Empire sourcebook, and the Star Wars Adventure Journals have in-universe news articles that often feature the goings-on at the Imperial Court during the height of the Empire. These are all old RPG sources that can be harder to find.

For more easily obtained sources, the brand new Essential Atlas and Essential Guide to Warfare are great sources on the Empire, and often reference and tie together these old sources. The older Rebellion-era Sourcebook is informative too, as is Coruscant and the Core Worlds.

There are also a series of good fan-written articles that look at the primary sources and weave them together at domuspublica.net (this site is now defunct, but you can view its old content at archive.org).

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  4. GabeBGB

GabeBGB Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you very much. Just to check these are all empire related, right? Is there any essentials that one starting in the Expanded Universe should read?

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Maybe you could also read the Dark Empire comic series and the Crimson Empire comic series.

6. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013
    This is what my best friend has also recommended to me, and I, too, am just starting out with the EU. I got all three of the Thrawn Trilogy books off of Amazon.

s65horsey likes this.
  7. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I echo all the above posts that say to start with the Thrawn Trilogy. Honestly though I would say there's no right or wrong way to start reading the EU...find what sounds interesting to you, there are a plethora of book series to choose from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.