main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Starting to get furious with the Matrix people

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ekenobi, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Here is the last part of the article Matrix Sequels Immediate

"MII (The Matrix Reloaded) will hit the screen in early May and MIII (The Matrix Revolutions) in November. The Wachowski brothers (who directed and wrote the screenplay) are not making George Lucas's mistake of having the audience grow old between instalments"

This pi$$es me off! After what the Effects supervisor said and now this. These guys just can not stop taking shots at Lucas or Star Wars! Who do they think they are? The are very arrogant and are coming off as if they are superior to others. I mean Lucas did not have the technology in 77 or even after 83 to do the prequels. It is much easier to create a film today because the technology is there now. I would like to see if they could make their films with what Lucas had in 77. Would not work.

And I thought Lucas wanted to take a break from Star Wars to have a family and do tother things. Doesn't the guy deserve that after spending 9 years working on the OT?

I almost want to boycott these films. Not give these SOBs any of my money. Geez you do not see Peter Jackson saying anything or even
    other film makers take a shot at other films.
    Very low class if you ask me. What do you guys think?

Don't get me wrong but I can take critcisms of my fav orite movies. But they are just critics. But other filmakers trying to make their movie look better is really sad.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    People with closed minds, don't worry about them. If they can't stop YOU liking SW, then you have nothing to worry about.

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Ekenobi, do you have a link? If I just look at that quote it looks to me as if this is not from somebody who worked on the Matrix films but rather from a journalist.

4. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Matrix isn't a great movie,IMO.It's cool and that's all.Oh,and they have the great eye-candy Keanu Reeves. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ignore the critics,I feel that it's becoming a trend to bash the PT.

Star Wars is way better in my book.

5. Corpsey_The_Ewok

Corpsey_The_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm with Tukafo here; just 'cause some chump says something nasty, it doesn't mean that reflects anything the Wachowskis actually said.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    SW is just a big, popular target for people to aim at, that's all.

7. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Good point. And nothing has taken the joy of these films away. Never will. But it is just sad people have to stoop this low.

8. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Sorry Tukafo. Actually your are right. Reading it again tt is not a direct quote. Sorry about that. Well then my whole thread changes then.
    How come people still need to put down SW to make other movies look good?

9. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    The Matrix trailers I've seen are not that impressive. Well, they look just like the first movie, anyway. I was like "Yeah, I've seen the freez-frame/camera spin thing before....". The cool things about the Matrix was the mindblowing storyline, and the special effects. But the storyline is already out there now. If they don't come up with another good story, theyre screwed, cuz the same special effects, or even slightly better ones arent gonna impress anybody.

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The Wachowski Bros. wish The Matrix was as popular and successful as Star Wars.

11. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I agree. These Matrix guys and media bashing of SW are annoying. Peter Jackson and the LOTR people have WAY more class and can respect that Lucas paved the way for them. Even if the Matrix folks think Lucas is a has been and that their films are better than the PT, they should keep quiet. They have not earned the right to be critical based on one modestly successful film. They aren't even in the same league with SW.

I have not seen Matrix and have absolutely no plans to see the sequels. The previews looked like XXX with funky special effects, and gave me nothing that would entice me to see it in the theatres. Besides, anything with Keanu Reeves is painful to watch, with the exception of the first Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which is fun to watch only as a sheer dumb guilty pleasure. When I have watched the other films Keanu Reeves has been in, I keep waiting for him to finish his lines with "Dude" or some similar surfer/California drug-using party boy slang like "Know what I'm sayin?" etc. that is frequently used to pad a monosyllabic vocabulary of 50 words or less. Maybe he is eye candy for women, but he does absolutely nothing for me with his acting skills.

Just remember, the bigger you are, the more they come after you. Let's see how big the Matrix movies and creators are in thirty years. SW has stood the test of time, and despite all the media bandwagon bashing, I don't care what people like these guys say. If the Matrix people can create three more sequels that rival SW in filmmaking or storytelling innovation, then their criticism might have some credibility. But for now, ignore those punks and let them keep shooting off their mouths. My guess is that they will soon go the way of Milli Vanilli and Vanilla Ice and that people will be scratching their heads in ten years, wondering what they were thinking when they dared to compare the films to each other. In my book, it is not even close.

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    What happens if The Matrix Reloaded is a huge flop? I mean it will open huge but if the film stinks and the box office just drops off completely, they will still be stuck with one more movie.

I don't think this will happen but what if it did.

13. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Then maybe they will finalley shut their holes!

14. jedisrm

jedisrm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    matrix is just all effects, ive had to watch it with people about 5 different times and i remembered that i feel asleep after about an hour while seeing it the 3rd time, thinking well im tired and ive seen this before

btw, every time i saw it was on video

15. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Quite honestly, I cannot figure out why anyone would want to compare the Matrix to SW....the two films really do not have much in common. I liked the Matrix...I was entertained when I saw it. But I do not believe the Matrix trilogy will have the long-term impact on culture, nor do I believe it will be powerful enough to ingrain itself in people's hearts the way SW has done.

16. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    I mean loking at the trailer, it looks like the same "look what we can do effect" just to show off. Same freeze frame movement like before. The story was good, but bullet time has been overused ad it old. We did not see Lucas do the ship flying overhead in the PT. He did something new each time so far.

17. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Actually, I think some of these cheap shots and criticims will be good for Lucas. It will make him even more determined to make Episode 3 kill the competition in terms of Story and FX. Rivalries are good to make the best product.

18. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    "MII (The Matrix Reloaded) will hit the screen in early May and MIII (The Matrix Revolutions) in November. The Wachowski brothers (who directed and wrote the screenplay) are not making George Lucas's mistake of having the audience grow old between instalments"

Uh... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any cheap shots at GL in that quote. The author is just saying GL took a long time between his movies, and it may have had an adverse effect on the audience reaction. Big deal.

I'm a huge supporter of GL and I don't like the cheap shots that many people have taken either. However, I think that some of us are becoming a bit too sensitive.

19. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    True, but the Wachowski Bros are the ones that need to prove themselves. And they should be thanking lucas. If it was not him trying things in 77, maybe the Matrix might not have been made, or not made yet.

20. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I say don't worry about it. You like what you like,and that's all that matters. Personally,the thing I liked about The Matrix was the whole "Humanity being ruled by machines,but not knowing it" thing,and all the other sci-fi eye candy in it. I MIGHT see the sequels,unless I hear something negative about SW straight from the Bros.

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Actually, I think some of these cheap shots and criticims will be good for Lucas. It will make him even more determined to make Episode 3 kill the competition in terms of Story and FX. Rivalries are good to make the best product.

In all honesty, Lucas doesn't really care what his critics have to say. It's his story and he's going to tell it how it has to be told whether people like it or not. The fact that Star Wars is not focus group tested into mediocrity is what makes it such a refreshing departure from the drudgery of modern cinema.

22. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Not going to let the fans get stale?

And how long is it since the first Matrix movie came out?

23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    They're just scared of Star Wars, that's all. They know it won't be as popular 20 years from now as Star Wars will still be.

24. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "In all honesty, Lucas doesn't really care what his critics have to say. It's his story and he's going to tell it how it has to be told whether people like it or not."

So do you think Lucas always intended for Jar Jar to have a small role in Episode 2? Regardless of what Lucas says, he does make movies for the PEOPLE.

25. JediSpeedos

JediSpeedos Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    It baffles me when folks use Jar Jar's smaller role in Episode II as proof that Lucas gave in to the outcry of the fans and general public. Maybe, just maybe, that's what he had planned all along. That wouldn't be too far-fetched to consider, especially since Jar Jar's comic relief wouldn't have fit in with the second prequel's more serious and darker environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.