main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Starwalking.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by evil-incarnate, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I didn't see that....a new thread would be good. And no, I arranged it through the Womens and Childrens. Took a few months to organise as the parents of each child must be asked and the hospital is very protective (naturally) of the cancer kids. But it can be done if the intention is good and loving..

2. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Our intention is nothing but good and loving! Kinda like Patch Adams, make the kids laugh, make the kids smile

3. Da_Phantom_Menace

Da_Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Evil, do me a favour mate, email me that nudie pic of yourself so I can tape it to the bvack of my fridge, should scare the roaches away for years ! LOL LOL ooooh my heart the mean and nasty phantom spammer strikes again !!!!!

4. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks AD :D Will post something when I get it all together.

5. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not interested at all in committees, as I've told you a number of times, E-I...I will be somewhat of a supporter.

Just let me ask a few questions that may or may not have been thought of, and open myself to the old 'troublemaker' label again....

will this be open to members of ALL ages? No, you don't want to be a babysitting service, but is it going to be that exclusive?

I've noticed some insults in Starwalkings direction already...at particular members. Will this continue?

I've heard a number of things about Parsec.
    you may or may not have heard these from one person's point of view, Toddi..don't believe everything you hear.

there still seems to be a lot of bitterness about how Parsec ended. For me, too much politics, mixed in with my home life going down the drain (which was nobodys business and shall remain so, therefore I don't talk about it) led to my decision to leave the committee. I know I had the weight of the world on my shoulders at the time.

Unfortunately, it looks like a couple of people here still haven't gotten past the fact that the club was dying and should have been laid to rest by now.

I just hope it's run fairly and non-exclusively, with fun involved.

I will come to a couple of meetings a year, as I said, as a member. No formal commitment here. Sorry.

6. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    WOW....four pages and growing...cool. :)

The Star Walking (two words) structure is fairly simple. We call it the Wagon Wheel structure.

The axle of the wheel is the Executive committee made up of:
    Director
    Deputy Director
    Treasurer
    Secretary
    Public Officer
    Two Ordinary Members.

These positions sit for two years and are voted on by all members of the club at the AGM.

Then from the center of the wheel the various committees make up the outer rim. They are Skyforce (Melbourne & Sydney) Journal, Fund Raising,Events, Costume Appearances. The head of each of these committee reports back to the Executive with progress reports and updates on activities.

The club has a well defined TOS which will be sent out to all members once it is ratified by the legal eagles in the Dept of Justice (we just made some changes and it has to be ratified again).

SKYFORCE, which is the committee that would run in Adelaide, decides on the day to day operations of the meetings. It is made up of:
    Skyforce Regional Manager
    Assistant Manager
    Treasurer
    Helpers. (this is determined by the level of attendees)

Basicly the Skyforce Committee decides on a venue, and decides what dates to run meetings based on when holidays fall, Football games, local trade fairs, and other events that might clash. Then the committee decides what to do on the day and runs the day. There is always help and ideas available, and Star Walking supplies a Library for the meetings (free of charge to members) and pays all the bills.

Does that help clear things up?

Basicly, any problems go straight back to the Star Walking Exec and they handle it. Problems with the Venue, Bills, & complaints get thrown back to the Exec. The Skyforce committee gets all the fun of running the event, but none of the problems.

7. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    I've noticed some insults in Starwalkings direction already...at particular members. Will this continue?

???????? :confused:

8. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I quite like this idea,

The Skyforce committee gets all the fun of running the event, but none of the problems.

As SAFF, a number of activities have already been sucessfully run. To take it up to the next level, such as a full days program with various activities (Costuming, film screenings, CCG sessions, BBQ, auctions, celebrity guests) requires a lot more planning. By drawing on the expertise of both Star Walking and people here you get the best of both worlds.

How does membership work in this case? Do Adelaide people become Star Walking members, or members of a local Adelaide chapter?

Edit: Oh, and ditto T-K's comment :confused:

9. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Just to clarify.

Skyforce is open to EVERYONE, BUT...children must be accompanied by an Adult.

As for insults.....well, you get them where ever you go and what ever you do, it's how you deal with them that matters.

As for myself.....I do this for one reason and one reason only....for the fans. I do this so I can go along to meetings/conventions/movie screenings with a bunch of people that think the same way I do.
    I do this so people like myself, who think they are alone in the world, will have a place to get together and enjoy themselves.

If you want to come along and talk to me about the firepower of the Mon Calimari Cruiser...fine, I'll listen. (I may fall asleep, but I'll listen)

In the years I've been with Star Walking, I've found one thing to be true.....Star Wars fans are fantastic people. Talented, enthusiastic, friendly, and happy....I count myself a lucky person every day that I know so many wonderful people. Hopefully soon, I'll get to know a whole lot more people just like the ones I already know.

If you are thinking about joining Skyforce Adelaide (if it gets the green light) only join because you want to be with fellow fans, don't join because you want to feel important. Committees are hard work, and are no place for egos. Do it for the fans, not for yourself.

*Climbs down from soap box*

I'll just go hide in the corner now.......

10. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    ...Star Wars fans are fantastic people. Talented, enthusiastic, friendly, and happy....I count myself a lucky person every day that I know so many wonderful people ..
    Couldn't agree more :)

I was wondering how many Star Walking members are involved in the VicFF?

There are obviously many more fans out there who don't get involved in these online communities, either because they aren't aware of them or chose not to participate. I was amazed at the number of people in costume at the midnight premier here. I'm sure a lot of them would be keen to get involved in other fan gatherings, but they're not necessarily going to be active on-line.

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Good question DM

12. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Funny enough, not many of the VICFF are involved.

A few of them came along to a few meetings, but then Uni took over and they sorta dropped off.

I imagine they'll come back when they get over the whole exam/study thing.

BUT, they do come to the Midnight till dawn Dark Zone nights. :)

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And that is? Movies? Laserhunting? DO tell!!

14. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Good question A-D :)

15. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Now you've got me curious too! lol

16. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    "Dark Zone" aka "Laser Force" aka "Zone 3"

You spend 8 hours (midnight till dawn) in a maze shooting people with laser guns.

The maze we use in Melbourne is three stories high and you can shoot through the floors on the upper levels.

GREAT FUN...but exhausting. :)

17. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Wow...

Who wants to go to melb for a short trip? lol

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Wow!! We did it, but only for 15 min times and it nearly killed me!! But it was lots of fun....might have to do that again guys!!!

19. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    As long as you open up the SAFF hospital again, I'll be in it S-P. I think it works out to a day's recuperation for every 30 minutes of play :)

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, will need it, I had muscles sore that I didn't even know I had!! :eek:

21. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I know that feeling.

and at my age it takes longer to bounce back.

22. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    It's all sounding very interesting ... and chicken laser hunting?? I'm up for that again, for sure! (Might shoot straight this time!!)

23. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    seems all of my questions have been answered, thanks Lord Vader.

yes, I bought up some awkward stuff, but sometimes awkward questions need to be asked in order for clarification.

read back, you'll see some of the stuff that I asked was legit. I read all four pages carefully before posting. :)

I understand that some don't appreciate my questions, but if I have a question I want genuinely answered, I will ask. I will take any answers into account when making a decision. Same goes for comments, I will read thoroughly and say things that I feel need to be said.
    Yes, I will probably be seen as a stirrer or troublemaker when asking questions that I need answered for clarification, but if that's what I need, I should be allowed to ask without judgement. I don't like being left in the dark.

I think this will work, with the right commitment and input from everyone. There have been some pretty successful things happen here, and this can continue in the future.

As I have said, I will be a supporter of any project that happens along, and will involve myself as a member, if I am welcome.

It will be nice to have a 'club' atmosphere again. I couldn't agree more about doing it because we are fans, not for ego!

:)

24. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    If you never ask you never know.

Personally, I'd rather be asked a question than have someone get the wrong idea.

25. DarkDisciple

DarkDisciple Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2005
    Hmmm I could see a Darkside paintball event in the pipeline, :p Afterall a little bit of pain is good and at least you can definately feel when you have been shot. lmao Just dont turn your back on anyone. [face_devil]

Galactic Empire

vs

Rebel scum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.