main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA StarWars.com Hyperspace

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Raptor, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002

I would like to see what you all think about this latest move the official web site has made.

In my not-so-humble opion, I think it's really stupid. This is a trend for websites that I have been really hoping dies a horrible death. I use to visit gamespot.com almost every single day, and as soon as they went to a pay site, I have pretty much never been back.

But back to Hyperspace. I have read all their super duper reasons to pay for the wonderful ability to read certain areas of their website, and to be honest, I just do not see the advantage. And I must say, that as a Star Wars fan, I find it quite sad that a company this large wants to pick our pockets for just a bit more money. I doubt that starwars.com would have to shut down due to lack of funds if they did not get your $20 a year. I pay for a fan club membership already, and that in itself should provide me with all the special inside information I could ever want.

Also I looked at this from a quality of service point of view. What am I going to get thats worth even more money from me? Nothing but some inside info on the new movie? I already know I am going to watch it when it comes out, so again I just do not see the point.

If you have read any of the articles on theforce.net on this, then you know that they suggest you make your statement with your money, and that is what I am going to do. I AM NOT going to pay for some extra content on the starwars.com site.

You know what's sad? There is enough die hard Star Wars fans out there that just have to have anything SW that they will pay for this as well, without thinking about it for a sec. They are, what I call, Marketing puppets. Anything that the Lucas marketing folks put a price on they pay for like drones.

It's not the amount, only $20 for a year. I know I have spent $20 on some really stupid and silly stuff. It's more the thought behind it. If this becomes a huge sucess then just think of where they will take it. They will then assume that the majority of Star Wars fans will pay any price for any informaiton, and at that point where is the line drawn? Anywhere they want. And sadly the puppets will follow.

Ok, /rant off.

If you do think that this is worth the money then please let me know, I'm various curious to see your views on it. If anyone has any comments to make then please post them.

Rap

2. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    My official stand is basically identical to DR's. It's asinine. I'm trying to go reasonably spoiler-free until Celebration III at least, so I don't really want the inside stuff about Ep 3. As for the rest, most of it will be made available to the non-paying folks eventually, when it's considered "old news."

Personally, I won't pay for it. It's just another Lucasfilm money gouge that I don't agree with. I already pay enough money into GWL's coffers. Why should I pay for content that should either be free or should have already been included on the DVDs?

LFL, as a whole, is really starting to make my skin crawl. Between this and the DVD controversy, I'm very, VERY upset.

Anyway, that's my take. Next?

3. Master_Wolf

Master_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    Well, from my standpoint, its sortof like them toylines coming out with 5 versions of the same figure. Different stuff with it, but basically, same name, same face, different "goodies" with it. Its all about making that extra buck.

Personally, Im almost glad their doing it this way. That way I dont have to be concerned about any spoilers "leaking" around. I do not want to know very much about Episode 3, mostly because I dont want to go into it with a bunch of preconceptions. If I happen upon a few things, I wont die. And especially since I wish to attend celebration 3, im resigned to the fact Ill learn a little bit, but for the most part, Id rather try and figure out for myself what might happen.

I think they will end up coming out with two versions of the DVD's once they do release Episode 4-6, obstensibly to please those of us who want the original version, but in reality just for that almighty buck. Dont get me wrong, given the choice, I would take the original over the special editions, but Im hoping they will pack them onto some sort of Deluxe set, so we can enjoy them both without having to buy two entirely seperate DVDs.

Ultimately, I agree with Raptor. I too am hoping this pay site trend dies away sooner rather than later.

4. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002

Just as an update, I would like to clarify something in my first statement. I am not calling anyone that pays for Hyperspace a drone. It's more that it almost seems that the folks that made this decision are looking at you more like a dollar sign, and not a fan.

Thanks

Rap

5. -Fettish-

-Fettish- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Frankly, I don't pay much attention to Starwars.com. I have never been impressed with there site in general. I go directly to TheForce.net for my info. Of course, if TheForce.net started charging for stuff I certainly would NOT pay to see it. Just like Wolfey said, it's like the half-dozen versions of the same action figure they try and push. It's ridiculous. For example: I chose my favorite Jango fig and bought it. Done deal. I don't need a zillion of the same thing with subtle differences. It's all about money... Besides, the paying people will view the info and pass it along and it will be available elsewhere soon enough...

-Fettish

6. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    There's a link to this article on the main page, but I think it should be read by all.

http://torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251775333&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630

Sorry, but it wouldn't make it a link. Copy and paste. :)

7. Master_Wolf

Dec 11, 2002
    but....but...but....thats almost like...*GASP*...*WORK*!!!

<faints dead away...>

;)

8. Dotanis

Dotanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2002
    Ya sad to see the official website turn into Pay-Per-View. =/ Somehow G. Lucas will have to scrap by w/o my 3 bucks a month though.

-Dot

9. Master_Wolf

Dec 11, 2002
    LOL just finished reading that website link article. Some reporters can sure hit the nail on the head. Personally, the only online thing I ever paid for routinely was everquest, and I stopped doing that when they jacked up the price.

/mourns the carefree star wars fanclub years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.