main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD State of the FanFic - May 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Our Fellow Fan Ficcers,

It has been a period of changes for our little part of the internet world, but we feel as though we have weathered it well. Everyone seems to be settling into our new home on Xenoforo and getting used to all the new shiny. Of course there are things that we all miss about our old IGN home (banners anyone?) and there are things that still need work, but overall it seems to be going well. Below are some reminders and just some general information that we think is important. So please take some time to look it over and give us your thoughts.

With wishes of cooperating muses and rabid plot bunnies,

You mods - DWH, mav and Luna

Mod News

DWH - DWH loves the new boards, even with all their quirks, and is happy to see everyone adjusting and learning new ways. In real life, she's reorienting herself to what it's like to live like a normal human being after the insanity of working on Oz: The Great and Powerful. She has a regular 9-5 type schedule for the first time in her professional life, and it's kind of weirding her out a little, but after a little vacation she'll be much better.

Mav- Mav is happy, overall with our time here on the new boards and is thankful to everyone for being awesome about all the things that didn't go quite as planned. (She also really misses the pretty purple Mara banner from the old boards!) In the recent past she has moved to a new apartment (now with roommates!). She's also joined a HAZMAT team at work where, in the case of a chemical, biological or radiological release/attack, she would be get to wear one of those awesome (really hot, temperature wise) HAZMAT suits and decontaminate people.

Luna - Luna is happy to see us all getting comfortable in our new home and finding ways to make it work. In real life, she is currently obsessing over end-of-year teaching, paper writing, and clinicals, and is very excited for May 30th to get here so she can use the summer to catch up on everything else. ;)

General Board Info

Truncated posts
    There was a big stall in this area (as you all are aware) and unfortunately we don't have much to tell you. Our head admin Grimby has been in contact with Mike from IGN who is working on this situation for us, he is doing his best to get us the data that has been truncated, but there have been a few road blocks in doing so. When we know more we will pass it along.

Banners
    Unfortunately we still can't have multiple banners without crashing the entire system. (Some of the very early times when the boards were down were from us figuring that out) The tech-y types have been working on this but no word on when we may get to have customized banners for each section of the boards.

Acronym Usage
    Mod Squad was in talks for quite some time about the use of acronyms that have use words that are on the disallowed word list. Up until this point you could only use WTF. Here is the official update on the policy:

"After discussion in Comms and the MS, it has been decided that acronyms relating to and containing abbreviations for disallowed words no longer need to be starred out. (Examples: BS, FML, WTF etc.)
    Please remember that words on the Disallowed Words List must still be starred out in their entirety. Further, please remember that while these acronyms are allowed, flaming another user still isn't. So be mindful of how you address other users on the boards.

Report Button
    There has been some issue with the report button being used to report things that are not against the rules, but something someone doesn't like. MS has posted this policy in comms:

The purpose of the Report Function is to alert the moderator(s) to flagrant and obvious rule violations that may require moderator action. The Report Function should be used to report serious trolling, flaming, spamming, language violations or a spamvertiser. Increasingly, the Report Function is being used by members as a way to 'punish' another user because of a difference of opinion. This is not an acceptable use of the Report Function. Should you have a question as to whether another user is 'flaming' or 'trolling', you should contact the forum moderator via PM for clarification or to discuss the situation - please do not utilize the Report Function in for instances that are not (as previously stated) flagrant and obvious rule violations.

Should a user abuse the Report Function, that user may be subject to a ban. Abuse is generally defined as utilizing the Report Function multiple times for issues ranging from a difference of opinion to a general complaint about another user. We will not attempt to outline every scenario of abuse in this policy. Bans will be issued after review by the forum mods and/or an administrator and may range from 24 hours or longer depending on the severity of the abuse.

Fan Fic Info/Reminders

New FAQ
    The FAQ has been updated and is now stickied at the top of resource. For all new fanficers, that is the best place to find about our rules here in fanfic, and for everyone to check things you may not remember. But as always, if you have any questions, feel free to PM one of the mods.

Let's all remember we all pretty much want the same thing, for our fanfics to be read and commented on. The JC's rule is you can not post more than 4 new topics per day in any given forum, and that of course does apply but just be mindful of other authors and that they too have fics they want people to read. Posting quite a few stories at a time keeps others off the 1st page and less likely for others to see and read them. While posting several new stories at once, while not against the rules is a little rude.

As far as posing replies in your story threads, please only do so at most, once a day.

Polls
    Just as we don't allow threads that ask what story you should write/characters you should use/era you should write in, we also don't allow polls of this nature. It's considered pimping and we will ask you to delete it.

Self-Publishing
    Self-Publishing is becoming more and more popular and we are ecstatic that some of our fellow writers are using this method to get their works seen, but please keep in mind that the rules of advertising and pimping do apply to this as well.

You may have links to your novels in your signature or bio, but please do not talk titles, plot synopses, sales numbers etc. in threads. You are more than welcome to take those conversations to PM if you would like to know more about someone's work.

Merged Eras
    Be on the look out for a thread about this in the near future. We want to discuss how we think it's going and how you all feel. Please do not post such comments in this thread as it will have it's own thread shortly.

Tags vs. PM's
    Just as unsolicited PMs/convos are not allowed, please do not tag people in story threads who have not asked to be tagged.

Mod Challenges
    We have a few Mod Challenges in mind so be on the look out for one coming very soon! Remember, Mod Challenges mean you can win COLORS!!

Awards
    We'll have a thread soon-ish asking your opinions on the awards and how we want to proceed with them in the future. Please don't put your thoughts here as there will be a thread for this discussion.

Questions Pertaining to fanfic

In years past there had been "New Story" threads (where someone was in charge of posting in a thread links to the new stories in that era ) and "Completed Story" indices (where any lengthy story was linked to as complete for those who only like to read complete stories). Are people interested in bringing those back? If so, would anyone be interested in hosting/maintaining such threads?

Other

If you have read this please respond with "I have read this thread", or something along those lines... feel free to be creative, but make it clear you read this FanFic Update. In a week or two the mods will use a random number generator depending on the number of posts in this thread and someone who posted some indication will win colors for 48 hours. (Notice each reply has a number and the first number that the random generator comes that has this in it will win.) Feel free to discuss and ask questions, but only your first (with an indication) post will count.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: I read this concise update @};-

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I read it and I disagreed with some of it so I pushed the REPORT button. ;):p j/k

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    This post has been read on my behalf by psychedelic unicorns. I understand and accept all stated conditions.

(It's just the allergy meds, I swear).

Ewok Poet and Alexis_Wingstar like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I READ IT.... Wait, what did I just read again #dorymoment

Lady_Misty and Alexis_Wingstar like this.
  6. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I have read this thread

7. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi: I want to report that no penguins were harmed in the reading of the new 'Fanficcers' update.

Alexis_Wingstar likes this.
  8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Read this, I have.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've given the post an initial skim and will refer to it off and on in the future for more details.

10. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
  11. geno

geno Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2007
    Thanks for the update on the status of things and a look into a few ideas you have floating around. Needless to say I've read this

12. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Read it

and great to see you on a HAZMAT team Mav. I have been on one for almost 20 years and now a retired firefighter

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh, I read the updates. Just usually I lurk while doing so. (And here's a really odd question while I'm thinking about it... did anyone save the Blue JarJar icon/avatar?)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Wait, there were actual words in here? Could've sworn it had been written in kanji.

15. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Read it. :) Thanks for the information.

16. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Read it. Looking forward to the new topics spinning from it.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It's 6amish and I finished my first cuppa tea - there's stuff up there?

18. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Read it. Thanks for the updates, Mod Squad.:)

19. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I have read this thread. Thanks for the update.

Quick question, somewhat related to the truncation issue - it is my understanding that even if the truncation gets fixed, the quote-marks-replaced-by-question-marks problem probably will not be fixed, is that correct?

20. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Once upon a time, there was a poster called Jabari who spent her time in a galaxy far, far away, and she read this thread. The end.

21. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
  22. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I read the update and am looking forward to the Mod Challenge!

23. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Roses are red,
    Burned bread makes toast.
    Thanks for the info,
    I did read the post.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's awesome!
    I love it! I've only done a few small trainings, but we've got the full, big, 'flood of fake patients', pretending it's real, all day training coming up in June and I'm really excited for it. I've also applied for a federal disaster medical team but I've yet to hear from them.

Last I heard, (and if I remember correctly) that should be fixed as well, but I'll look into it more and see if I can find an update on that for you.

Rainbow Knight Star and Tarsier like this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Read it, but comprehended? :D Mods are happy, posts are still truncated, and be nice to others - is that it?

obimom and Jade_eyes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.