main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD State of the FanFic - May 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    That, and if yer looking for fics, post the request to the appropriate thread... but that wasn't in the update. :)

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Allergy meds, sure. I'll have to remember that for the next time I'm busted. :p

(On a serious note, I've never been busted and I read the post.)

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Read it. :)

4. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ok I'll stop lurking. I have read it! :cool:

Jade_eyes likes this.
  5. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I read it in its entirety. I will say that the Disallowed Words Thread makes me laugh because some of the words are starred out, so it looks like it's saying "four asterisks in a row are not allowed and need to be starred out". Which is just, well. :p

I do actually have a question. With the truncating issue still going on, is it okay if we re-post unfinished stories, even if we haven't changed them a whole lot, in order to finish them? I don't want to revive one of my stories with an update if people can't go back and read the old posts and potential new readers can't catch up...

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! Yeah, the auto filter, filters them out when they are typed out completely.

Initially we said just wait but since it's taken so long and we have no idea when it's going to be fixed, that is fine. Or if you want to keep your reviews in that you already have, you can just fix the posts you already have by copy/pasting them in, it won't cut them off.

Iverna likes this.
  7. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Read. Wait..what?

8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Read and approved.
    That is all.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Read it.

10. nickamano

nickamano Jedi Knight

Mar 6, 2009
    I've read it... Colours?

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Are you asking what we mean by colors? Mods have their names in colors (see my name) but sometimes we also give the ability to change your name colors (for a limited amount of time) out as prizes. :)

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Everyone is confirming that they read this. Is there going to be a test later on and will you be grading on a curve? :p

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you all who read this! I know we didn't have all that much to say, but we felt there were a few reminders that needed to go out. And as promised, one person who responded will win colors! The first random number that came up was 24 which was my own post. Here is the second one:

[​IMG]

Post 34 was Juliet316 who wins 48 hours of colors!

14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I read and understand enough.

No serious bad language, (I don't usually use language that bad as a rule in writing and never in RL) no idea when posts longer then 1000 anything will be back :,( and no banners until further notice. X,(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

15. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Geez, I come back with the intention of reviving my story and then find out that I can't post anything more than 1000 characters. Rotten timing. XD

Well, anyway, it looks like the problems with IGN continue. Why does a move have to be so damned difficult?

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think there is a character limitation with new stories posted. It was just the stories already written that transferred over to the new boards that were truncated. Believe me I have posted 5000 word posts with no problem. Now if you want to finish up a story that you started prior to the move you will probably find your chapters truncated. You can edit those chapters if you kept a copy of the story on hard drive. If they ever fix the truncation problem I do not know if edited chapters will revert back to what they looked like prior to the move. This would only be a problem if you not only re-pasted your previous chapters but made plot changes. Those may disappear if the truncation issue is ever solved. But I would go over to Communications and ask that question.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    J_L is correct, there is no character limit on new posts. It was only the posts moved from IGN to here on Xenoforo that got truncated to 10,000 characters. You can copy/paste into old threads and it will not truncate but when we get the truncation issue fixed (someday!) it will go back to the way it had been saved when the backup of the boards was made so any changes you have made would not remain, but any new posts would be fine.

It's difficult because we moved from IGN to Xenoforo, which was not our choice. In changing hosts, it change the way the code works and how files are stored. Unfortunately, it was a little bit of a problem, but we've managed to deal with most of it, other than old posts being truncated.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  18. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Thank you both very much.

Considering how long ago the last post in the thread was, it might be better off if I do a re-post of the fic in a new thread rather than to try to use the old thread. We're talking about "last post made in February 2012" here.

19. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is why I asked about the question mark problem. I'd hate to go through the trouble of fixing all my posts, just to have them become infested with question marks and need to be fixed again after the truncation issue is resolved.

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Unfortunately, I can't say for sure. I would hope it wouldn't be an issue, but it could be. The eaisiest thing to do would be instead of manually fixing each ? for the proper punctuation, would be to have a copy of it correct and copy/paste if that were to happen.

21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Not sure where to post this, so I hope this thread is okay. Would it be possible for us to get a list of the prefix buttons (for sorting) at the top of this board (like they have on many other boards - NSWFF, WNU, FanArt)? Right now if I want to sort all the Index prefixes I have to find the first Index on page 3.

Also, has anyone considered un-sticky-ing the Completed Stories Indexes? Since they haven't been updated in 5+ years, they are truncated and all the links are broken, it seems like it might be more helpful to have space for three more current stories on the first page. Just a thought.

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    read it

23. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Just found this, and read it and so...there you have it.

Thanks.

And now....nap time. :p

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    We were hoping someone wanted to revive those threads (with new ones, of course) but no one seems to be interested... which is okay too.

Both of those things are actually already on my to 'do list' which is incredibly long... though that's close to the top. The reason the Completed Stories indices are still there is because we don't have the tags at the top, which I've been trying to figure out exactly how to do without breaking the entire boards. I guess I'm going to have to just ask someone how to do it. ;)

While it's perfectly fine to have posted this here, it may be better to just PM one of us for stuff like this.

Tarsier likes this.
  25. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I want to resurrect the completed stories index in The Saga but please bear in mind that it will take some time to find all the links, ect. I haven't worked on it yet because of the trucant posts makes it difficult to work on it. I wish i had the master list but i don't believe i made one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.