main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

State of the forum: please read.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    For a while now, I have noticed a sense of the literature forum becoming stagnant in itself, with many people looking to former past 'golden times'. People have been commenting that the forum was more 'fun' in the past, and now, it is not so.

I just want to try and uplift the collective spirits of the literature forum, and say you can only make your own fun, but yes, within certain guidelines. What has occurred over the course of the past year, is that many familiar faces have left, to be replaced by new. That is the nature of things. It is sad to see regulars go, but also refreshing to see some new blood.

People often complain that the forum was split in two, literature & EU Community. I believe that this was a necessary move. There IS a place for fan clubs, but thats the point, they needed their own place. They are still apart of the JC EU Community. The literature forum was needed to be cleansed for what it's true purpose originally was - intelligently discuss and debate current (and past) Star Wars literature (novels, comics, authors, etc . . .). I think if we concentrate on the premise of those two forums, and realise thier purpose and direction, we can go back to having fun.

Again, I need not remind people about flaming or trolling, but on a lesser issue, I have noticed as of late that people are being attacked for giving their opinion, or disagreeing with someone else's opinion. Remember that an opinion is just that, the perspective and thoughts on an issue by an idividual. Everyone is different, we need to respect that. There is no right, there is no wrong. If you disagree (which is fine, as it is the component of debate) - state your reasons rationally and logically without abuse. If you continue to disagree, leave it at that, and move on.

Polls. This has been a contensious issue. People either love them, or hate them. I personally think that they are a great feature, but need to be used intelligently. Again, people get annoyed if we are flooded with redundant or ill thought of polls. I remind you of what my guidelines are on polls. I think a poll should not be used for it's own sake, but for the sake of creating debate and discussion. Perhaps to remind people of this, put '... and why?' at the end of the poll question, for example: "Is Luke Skywalker the greatest Jedi, state reasons why?"

Lastly, we are endeavouring to create an index for the literature forum, to reduce redundantcy, and give newbies a glimpse of great past topics and discussion.

If anyone has thoughts for the state of the forum at the moment, please post, and I will try address.

Kind Regards,

Michael "The Gatherer" Potts.

2. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I've spent more time lurking and posting here than anywhere else on the board for the last 5 months.

Lit forum IMO is a great read in all the different forms it takes, people here(including myself) have opinions on just about everything, thankfully I've see more good displays than bad.

We may seem a bit boring to outsiders when we are in-between release dates, but it's up to us to keep the place moving along, and be a bit understanding to those who have only now found the books we read months ago. :)

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    As a member of the 'new blood' you spoke about, i would like to second and applaude the sentiments of your statement.
    we of the new breed realise that we come here at the end of an era. we realise that many cherished and respected members of these forums have recently left, and we have no intentions of trying to fill such historic shoes.
    we bring our own shoes with us.
    it is quite ironic that this reinvention of the Literature forum is occuring on a parallel with the NJO. We are simply the 'new jedi council order'. we dont seek to replace those that may of gone, but to gain acceptance and respect from you - our fellow forumers - in our own right.
    heed the words of the Gatherer. we are on the cusp of a new era of the Lit forum.
    embrace it, dont fight it,
    Peace to all,
    Prótége of Thrawn

4. Admiral_AJax

Admiral_AJax Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2001
    Well said Prótége of Thrawn...

I am also a newbie to the forums (I just posted my first message about an hour ago).
    I've been a SW fan for some time now, but I hadn't had the chance to really discuss about it since most of my friends don't care for it. I then started to read the forums and found how great it is. Though I just started and know nothing about how it was back in the day of the forums I'm sure there'll still be great topics to ask/answer/debate considering the many books to come.

5. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    All I am going to add is on the index issue for obvious reasons.

I went into updating it with the pure purpose of having the most frequently brought-up topics there, and to make sure that some of the best threads will not be forgotten.

So, go through the index and have a look at some of the threads there. Some come from the "golden age" here at Snowboards, and others are just pure fun. You can learn a lot from these, both about SW Lit, and about the people on this board.

And any threads that you find and want to save from prunning, tell me and they will be added, and we can even see about getting some added to the archives.

Remember, there might be a lul now because of the change in shipping schedule from Del Rey, and that it is holiday time all over the world. But don't worry, things shall pick up again, and think before you post on hot topics.

6. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    I really do think that the index is really needed. I don't know why, but the forum seems to have no "life" in it. I find myself at the EUC more often than here. The forum needs revamping - maybe Rebirth will do the trick.

7. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Well said, Mr Potts! :)

8. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I say on the poles, use the option twice a week. That way we don't get flooded, but still have the chance to se the polls.

I would be called a mid-bie. I came at the very end of the 'Golden Age' (Dec30,'00). Since then, I have changed my JC name, and have straddled myself between the Lit, Games, and EUC forums. But Lit is the most important and the one I have bookmarked. Even though I don't post often in here, doesn't mean I don't read 'em. I am very impressed with the newbie's topics.

9. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Lugs to the top for everyone to see

10. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Thank you for posting this, Mr. Potts. One of the main problems I have noticed in this forum is a lack of respect for other people's opinions. If we support our ideas logically, we must realize that everyone is different. And when someone doesn't have the same opinions as you, respect that. Those differences are what create the most satisfying discussions.

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Exactly.

One thing I need to mention to, is that conveying an opinion, there is no need to simply bash, just state your reasons. If you don't like a specific author or book, state reasonably why.

I think people often forget the fact that the authors and people associated with LFL *do* lurk here.

Be mature people.

12. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Good thoughts, Gatherer. I was lurking during much of the "golden age" and started posting toward the end or the middle. We do need to respect each others opinions. I also think that we should cut down on the "Darth Maul vs Luke" or "who is the greatest Sith" or "NJO vs Prequel Jedi" threads. They are all well and good once in a while, but they don't lead to any intelligent discussion. I think we should stick to speculation and examination of the books. Perhaps we should detatch ourselves from the characters a little and take a little more objective look at the quality and purpose of the literature.

13. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    'One thing I need to mention to, is that conveying an opinion, there is no need to simply bash, just state your reasons. If you don't like a specific author or book, state reasonably why.

I think people often forget the fact that the authors and people associated with LFL *do* lurk here.

Be mature people.'

That is my philosophy summed up right there. :D

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Very nice post, The Gatherer. :)

I will say I have noticed some of what you are talking about. It's too bad, because I know the forums were so much more open when I first joined. Some ppl liked one thing, some people liked another. It didn't cause a lot of problems, because it was (at least in the lit section where I primarily posted at first) *discussion* and *debate* not an attack on another forum member. I have seen less of this since the two forums split, which is nice. :) Hopefully this will make people who only value their own opinions think. Personally, I like the diversity of the people I hang out with at the JC. It'd be pretty boring if everybody was exactly the same. ;) After all, we're *all* Star Wars fans, and that's the important thing. :)

Anyway, I do think the forums are better since the split. Keep up the good work, people! :)

~*~Bria

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I caught a taste of the prosperity that was the Golden Age, and I must say that I agree with everyone's sentiments. On the whole the majority take these boards waaaaay too seriously, we're all here for the same reason, to have fun and enjoy some good SW talk. The only time there is true, one hundred percent solidarity in the Lit forum is when we are trollbashing someone from the movie forums. That shouldn't be the case; we should always be supportive of each other and openminded when it comes to the opinions of others. We just need to realize this and embrace it.

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Upping for all to see.

17. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    OK I dunno how daft this is gonna sound but anyways...

I've been registered at the JC for about 15 months. Now, of those first 3-4 months I very rarely left the lit forum - this was partly due to the fact that I wanted spoilers alot more back then (which I try to avoid now), but more for the fact that I made some friends here. See I not only came into lit for the lit discussions but I also came for the "social" aspect too. The thing is that alot of these people don't seem to be around very much/at all anymore, and because of this I have stopped coming in here as much, although I do lurk occasionally. The reason being is that I find very little for which I can contribute to or that the topic is becoming redundant.

What I'm most worried about now though is the frequency of which a topic like this is cropping up - how many have we had already this year? I can think of at least 3! Soon, even this will become redundant :_|

18. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Talk about it. There's two threads on the first page that have the same subject! Mind you I posted on both, just to make sure the people know my opinion on the subject.

19. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Well said Gatherer, you summed it up perfectly in the first post.

20. Cosmin-Coral

Cosmin-Coral Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2001
  21. Tahiri_2

Tahiri_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    What Prótége of Thrawn said!
    -new blood member

22. CalcetinM

CalcetinM Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2001
    I think the state of the forum reflects the state of the books being published.

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    My opinion disagree's with that.

24. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Nothing real new to talk about right now, thats all.

25. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    I think the state of the forum reflects the state of the books being published.
    I think CalcetinM is on to something here.
    The NJO tends to be very divisive, most people have strong feelings one way or the other.
    Either that, or the punk-rocker, WWF image of the Vong, and the over-the-top violence of many of the NJO books has brought a less civilized reader to the forums. The lack of civility and thoughtfulness shown by many posters may just be a reflection of what they have been reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.