main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

State of the forum: please read.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    This need to be upped again.

There is one particular issue that I have that goes towards the original sentiments that The Gatherer said:

Again, I need not remind people about flaming or trolling, but on a lesser issue, I have noticed as of late that people are being attacked for giving their opinion, or disagreeing with someone else's opinion. Remember that an opinion is just that, the perspective and thoughts on an issue by an idividual. Everyone is different, we need to respect that. There is no right, there is no wrong. If you disagree (which is fine, as it is the component of debate) - state your reasons rationally and logically without abuse. If you continue to disagree, leave it at that, and move on.

What has been bothering me a lot lately, is the more and more frequent use of winks ;) and big smiles :D to hide or disguise flames and attacks on people.

To me these are still attacks and flames. The winks and smiles are just a ruse. A facade. Something to hide behind. An excuse to flame people. "But I used the wink, so I was only joking." That is a lie. You meant to flame them, you're just covering things up.

Personally, I think the administration needs to take a tougher stand against this type of flaming. When people see that others get away with these disguised flames and attacks, more and more people start to use them. It is contributing to a general coarsening of the forum.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Actually, what is bothering me a lot lately is the more and more frequent use of blatant, flagrant flames and attacks on people.

However, to address some things by Jade's Fire...
    It seems that people are missing out on the point of internet smilies - to be used tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps if more and more people would decide to attack and flame less, step back and not take everything so seriously then this forum would be a happier place for it.

People assuming the worst - believing that people are lying when using such smilies will do more damage than anything else. A smilie is us

"That is a lie. You meant to flame them, you're just covering things up."

Of course the simple thing to do is PM someone an ask them, instead of jumping to some incorrect conclusion and getting all bent out of shape over an incorrect situation. Smilies are used for a reason, and you cannot judge the intent of the poster using them outside of the purpose they were being used.

If there is any doubt, the thing to do is not assume the worst, but ask for clarification. Unless you have proof, then you are simply attacking someone without cause if you call them a liar. To jump all over the proper use of internet smilies is not the first thing one can do.

"It is contributing to a general coarsening of the forum."

I disagree. The open, flagrant flaming and trolling of whole segments of the Star Wars fan base in general (say NJO fans, for example) as well as specific forum members specifically tends to contribute to a general coarsening of the forum much more than the use or misunderstanding of useage of internet smilies.

:D

3. Booster-1986

Booster-1986 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2001
    Ghengis12 ... if you read some of my prior posts on this topic, you'll see why I tried to avoid direct one-to-one responses. But I can cite (and will in a PM if you want) where another poster simply took the view that my opinion was something not worth considering since it was inconsistent with his view of the world. Since I wasn't "for it", I was obviously lacking in brain cells or other necessary matter.

I drive a Japanese car ... have done so for more than 16 years (not the same one, mind you <hehe>). Others love their Detroit-based vehicles. Some others drive SUVs. We all make choices based on personal likes, dislikes, the environment in which we were raised, and ... on and on. The point is, I don't post to a thread espousing 4x4s and such as basic transportation in Atlanta as stupid and wasteful and harmful to the environment ... even though I personally think it is ... because that's my view and others may (do) not see it my way.

So what? As long as they don't run me down or into me, let them drive their big cars. I'll stick to mine.

The same goes for the forums. I am losing interest because of the polarization. I will use a phrase from one of my favorite movies to close: "people ... can't we just get along?"

4. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    I'm not real sure if Gatherer's point got across to everyone, but I think i've picked up on it quite well. I'd just like to add one thing.

This is just a forum, a place where some like minded folks can get together and discuss something that they all enjoy. That's why i'm here anyway. And I think the one thing that has kept me from getting riled up or pissy is the fact that I don't take any of this too seriously. Sure, there have been some really interesting debates here, and more than a few unkind words hurled at just about everyone, but I don't think those unkind words are totally to blame.

I guess what i'm trying to say is this.....it's just a forum. We all have lives that we live, things we have to do. We come here when we have free time to discuss Star Wars EU. The fact that we talk about fiction should kinda make you stop and think.Maybe we should all just sit back, have a drink(of whatever you prefer, it'll probably be Dr. Pepper for myself :) and try not to take this all so seriously.

Please let me know if what i've said makes any sense, or tell me if I shouldn't quit my day job ;)

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    If I ever :) in a thread, It means Im joking. Most people seem to understand that. Some even reply in the same way. I'm not being nasty, nor are they. It's something I've done since I've been here. No ruse, nothing hidden. You are talking about attacking people. That is an attack on how I am. Is that fair?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.