main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST State of the Galaxy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if this has been done or not but what will the state of the galaxy be?
    Will the Rebellion be a Republic that spans the entire galaxy?
    Will there be a Cold War between the Rebellion/Republic and the Empire or someone else?
    Will the Empire be split in two? Will the Rebellion be split in two?
    Will there be another player?
    Will the Hutts or another Underworld Group be a player?
    Another EU culture? Someone new?
    Will it be a Game of Thrones situation with 5+ groups going for control of the galaxy?
    Discuss

2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think they'll try and discover that in the wake of a forceful, dominant personality like Palpatine, any attempt to impose a galaxy wise system of government is all but doomed to fail.

Will there be a Cold War between the Rebellion/Republic and the Empire or someone else?
    Yes. After a few protracted years of trading shots amid various former Imperials and Warlords, yes, at least a few planets will coalesce into something similar to the Imperial Remnant that's seen in the EU. We won't necessarily need a Thrawn or Pellaeon, but if whoever takes over for the Imperials, they're going to be a realist.

I don't think split in two, but I'll bet there will be a fair number of planets that don't want anything to do with either side for any number of reasons.

Almost certainly. There's always someone trying to take advantage of the situation, no matter what it is.

Another EU culture? Someone new? No comment.

Will it be a Game of Thrones situation with 5+ groups going for control of the galaxy?
    No comment.

HankSolo and Bob Octa like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What will the state of the galaxy be? New Republic up and running. Still some issues there from the Empire, but mostly things are good. Until whatever happens in the ST happens.

Will the Rebellion be a Republic that spans the entire galaxy? Not the entire Galaxy. The Outer Rim is still it's own area, and maybe some systems decdied they wanted nothing to do with the New Republic.

Will there be a Cold War between the Rebellion/Republic and the Empire or someone else? The New Republic and new threat.

Will the Empire be split in two? Will the Rebellion be split in two? Beings will be really divided on the new government.

Will there be another player? Yes.

Will the Hutts or another Underworld Group be a player? No.

Another EU culture? Someone new? I'm hoping for maybe both.

Will it be a Game of Thrones situation with 5+ groups going for control of the galaxy? Yes, I wouldn't be surprised are multiple beings/group out for the top spot.

4. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Not sure if this has been done or not but what will the state of the galaxy be?

It will be a time of peace, with imperial stragglers trying to mount uprising's here and there, but no full-scale wars
    Yes

No

No, No

No

It would be nice

I'm up for that

Sounds too much like the prequels, I think it'll be a much more streamlined story, we'll see

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I theorised on that about a year ago I think.

I'm not sure about control of the entire galaxy. But think loads of different territories, all with their own governments and laws. And they meet up once a year to discuss the broader stuff. Similar, but NOT the same as, the senate in the PT.

During the PT I think the galaxy as a whole could be compared to one country in our world, such as America for example, with the planets being the US states and the senate of the PT was equal to the US senate. Or you could compare it to the UK and the senate would be equal to the Houses of Parliament. (Or Germany, France, or any democratic country).

During the OT I think the galaxy as a whole could be compared to one country in our world, such as Cuba for example (or any country with a dictator), with one guy making the decisions for everyone.

I think it would be much more interesting if the galaxy of the ST is compared to our entire world as it is now and the senate, if there is one, would be comparable to the United Nations. Some of the territories (comparable to the countries of our world) could be at war, some will be allies, some will only trade, bla bla bla [face_peace]

Does that make sense?

6. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    This would be the most awesome prospect, IMHO. The opening crawl could explain that the rebels thought they could return to democracy once the empire fell, but instead warlords rose to power and have spent the last 30 years fighting for dominance. Maybe the rebellion itself couldn't agree on what to do next and so splintered into opposing factions. Heck, maybe Lando ended up in one camp, Han and Leia in another, and Luke in yet another! Episode VII could be, in part, about them forgiving one another and putting their friendships back together.

7. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    There will simply be the restored Republic. The same as it used to be, hopefully without the same level of corruption.

The Empire is the Republic. When the rebellion ended, the Empire transitioned back to a Republic. It will be a time of relative peace.

Again, there is no Empire. Even if there was Imperial resistance to the transition, 30 years later, the galaxy is a single, united entity under the banner of the Republic.

Undoubtedly.

I suspect that crime lords, smugglers, pirates etc will have been driven to the fringes of the Outer Rim. Such groups thrived under the corrupt Republic and Empire but under the restored Republic, they would be suffocated and not as influential or as powerful as they once were. In fact, I'd like to see Episode VII open with a sequence showing the end of the cartels. Would be a cool action sequence to start the movie.

Someone new. Ideally, an extragalactic threat. The Clone Wars and Rebellion were civil wars. I'd like to see an invasion of the galaxy from a completely new and unknown force this time around with their own views on the Force and the galaxy.

No. It will be a single entity, the Republic, facing an outside threat...at least that's what I hope it will be.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised to see 2+ Rebel groups but I hope that Han, Luke, Leia, Lando etc are all on the same side. They tried to split Luke from Han and Leia in LOTF (Yes, EU but bear with me here) The idea had promise and worked on initial read throughs but read it last summer and it fell flat. Something was lost after they split and got back together. Interesting to try but I wouldn't root for it to happen.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps after the death of Emperor Palpatine, his son became Emperor, who's much more pragmatic. Not too much like his father because he was shunned by him, for not being strong enough in the Force to be trained.

The rebel victory at Endor was enough for the New Emperor to propose a bargain: cease the fighting, and the Empire would be peacefully reformed, with the Senate reestablished and given power, but maintaining a monarch (instead of Chancellor) who would be confirmed by the Senate and serve for life. [Think something like the UK, but with the monarch still having some real power]

In order for Luke Skywalker to be allowed to recreate the Jedi Order, the New Emperor proposed another bargain... the new Jedi must serve the government, just as the old Jedi did, and Leia must marry him.

Which Leia accepts, for the good of the galaxy, to prevent years of more bloodshed. Han, heartbroken and cynical again, disappears. Luke began the training of Empress Leia's children, but never completed it, and appeared to have died in a freak accident but his death was never proven and his body never found.

Episode 7 starts with a reformed Empire in complete control of the galaxy, with Leia's husband on his deathbed, and one of their children preparing to be confirmed by the Senate and ascend to the Imperial Throne.

But both old-fashioned Imperials and Republic idealists are very unhappy with Leia's son becoming Emperor. The old-fashioned Imperials don't like the idea of a Jedi becoming their new Emperor for life. And someone who's the grandson of both Darth Vader and the old Palpatine, and raised by Leia who's seen as a sell-out by some, really doesn't sit well with the Republic idealists, who are already proposed in principle to even having an Emperor in the first place instead of a pure Republic and have fiercely opposed the existence of this hybrid system of government.

10. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013

I like this and I don't like it. I'm not sure I can accept Palpatine having any offspring for the same reason he wouldn't want Anakin/Vader to have offspring. Force sensitive or not, they would be a threat to Palpatine's new order.

I can see a realistic, pragmatic Imperial contacting the Rebel's high command with a peace offering to stop the fighting that involves Leia ascending to the proverbial throne and a power sharing arrangement between Imperials and Rebels with the government transitioning to a somewhat more democratic form with the provisions that any worlds that want to maintain an Imperial form of government have the right to do so and that the throne remain hereditary through Leia's direct line. Han won't like this one bit but is reminded that given his participation in the battle that saw the death of Palpatine and Vader, there's nowhere that he would be safe and that someone has to watch Leia's proverbial back.

From this point on, things turn into Game of Thrones with various factions taking potshots at the throne, allying and betraying one another in order to jockey for some position of strength.

Ghost likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd like to see the Republic not yet completely rebuilt. We witnessed it's fall so now I'd like to see it's restoration on screen not just hear about it.

I could see many possible scenarios for the Empire. Perhaps there are Imperial sympathizers inside the Senate who take advantage of it's weakness. Or several Imperial Warlords fighting amongst themselves and the Republic for territory and power.

Possibly.

Possibly.

I'd like to see the underworld play a part in the ST but not on the galactic scale.

I have no idea.

A post-ROTJ series, absolutely. The ST, no. I think it's way too complicated of a scenario for three movies to handle properly. If the Empire is split between several Warlords like I speculated I would imagine they'd be united rather early on in the story by the main villain.

Mystery Roach and Bob Octa like this.
  12. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    The discussed idea of a GOT type scenario with several groups vying for power could be very dramatic, but does it really make sense 30 Years on? In GOT the Kings death sets off the war, so the equivalent here would be the emperor's death. If ep 7 followed on straight after 6 it would work with the galaxy in turmoil, but with so much time having passed, I'd assume it would be relatively peaceful by now, but an event in 7 breaks this fragile peace. I see this bring a villian who has bided their time since the empire fell and now makes their presence known.

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    What will the state of the galaxy be?
    Divided, cold war between reforming the big two New Republic, remains of The Empire in some form or another (not as large as the Republic/Rebellion or maybe even 'defeated' under a fragile peace treaty with the Republic (think Germany post WWI))... and the smaller groups that could include the Chiss, the hutts, I suspect the Hapens, the mandalrian, and possibly several independent systems that banded together

I don't believe this due to the EU, I believe it will be that the rebellion hasn't totally won yet due to Lucas's original plan for the ST having Luke have not defeated the Emperor only Vader and the 2nd Death Star in RotJ, so extrapolating from that some villain will take over its remains for VII to at least follow a similar path with a grand and powerful enemy still awaiting them so Lucas's main conflict can still of the ST can be adapted in... and the smaller factions will be KotOR/TOR/PT/TCW/OT/EU carry over factions plus maybe some new stuff, as to the EU carry overs since what else is a well of ideas for if not to draw on (though all the players in said faction may change... plus I suspect possible renaming or reimaginings of them to fit new stories just to sperate the two in the minds of fans is a possibility.) There was enough independent factions in TCW to make it seem that fits Lucas's vision of the galaxy in at least one timeperiod, I'm just suspecting something like it will exsist in another time period. Clearly not all these factions will play a role in VII least it be 100+ hours long, I'm just saying a few from this large pool will likely be drawn on for some role in VII and more in direct tie in material after VII comes out.

Well, if the EU's old map of the galaxy was correct even the Empire didn't span the Entire galaxy, but I suspect the Rebellion will now be a Republic will span a big chunk of the galaxy. They will be more like the Republic of TCW that allowed neautral systems to exsist and not invade them buttry to negotate with them to join... so expect wholes in their map of neautral systems and groups of systems

Yes, big time (unless its a defeated Empire but still around like Germany WWI, then it will be a prewar situation that too many want to claim negotations can prevent)... though unlike Earths cold war I suspect this one will have had small scale wars between the two from time to time, instead of just satalite wars. If like Germany post WWI it will start with a blitz war instead and uniting of several factions with it.

If the Empire is split it will be resolved externally by the end of VII, internally is always another matter. As to the Republic/Rebellion, they will be split internally but it might not play out too much in the ST but maybe more so in other media, that said the events of VII should unite the internal politics enough to fight back

There always is another player, TCW had dozens of them. Again this might play out more in other media than the ST just due to limited film time though it likely will be alluded to

Yes, what would Star Wars be without a strong Underworld factions.

The EU is a well of ideas, some are bound to survive in some form or other. Star Wars is also always bringing out new factions, the small players come and go but their role is always there to be manipulated by the ds and possible allies of the ls.

Maybe not to that scale of 5+ groups all being close to the same level of power but united the little fish players should at least equal a third player... if not then the 'lawless' season 5 TCW arc is rendered moot or at least a unique event which I just don't believe.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  14. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    What will the state of the galaxy be?The galaxy will be in a fragile state as the new Republic has worked hard fighting remnants of the old Empire and other rising factions the last 30 years.
    The Republic has grown and has become a struggle to maintain the peace for the Senate and Jedi.

Not so much there will always be those like the old Empire supporters and others who dislike the new Repulic and Jedi and have their own agendas for the galaxy.
    Empire will be a small faction but still a player to be reckon with and the rebellion no so much.
    Yes always has been some one something is lurking out there in hiding or plain view just waiting for the right moment.
    Yep of course a smuggler needs work oh and bounty hunters too. ;)
    Well IMO I think there will be another group or person from the Mortis or the Planet of Sith that will be the main threat to the galaxy.
    Star Wars came before game of thrones so to me yes there have always been many groups who have a stake in the galaxy's control.

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Given the reality of the appeal of the Empire as an enemy, I think it's likely to still exist in some capacity. I recon the Republic shouldn't be fully restored until the end of the saga, but it may very well be that some form of it is already in place at the beginning. I do think there will probably be another player, and Underworld elements could very well be a factor in that, though not the primary one.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I like the GOT scenario myself. Instead of unifying into one government and calling it the Republic, several factions have formed in its place. And because of this, the Jedi refuse to serve any of them.

17. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    In which case some or all factions turn against the Jedi. I like this, but I'm not sure I'm up for all of this in Episode VII, I'd like some of it at the end of VII leading into VIII

18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think we may have 2-3 groups vying for power. There's probably some Imperial element, but I also suspect some other element like Mandalorians -- a culture untrusting of being involved with the Republic again or that wants to lead the galaxy themselves -- will also be involved.

The Republic should be divided. Winning a war is one thing, but building a stable government another.

Maybe this third group -- for the sake of conversation, Mandalorians -- need to decide between Republic leadership and Imperial? The villain could easily capitalize on this kind of situation, destabilizing Mando interests so as to make the Republic look bad.

StoneRiver and Iron_lord like this.
  19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    What will the state of the galaxy be?
    The Empire represented complete control. After it's fall, I think the galaxy devolves to the next stage in the civilization cycle. Non-Order or Barbarism. I'm imagining a divide between Alliance Worlds and Remnant Imperial systems with a more dangerous evil outside threat.

Nope. The Republic will not be restored at the opening of the trilogy. The Alliance will have more systems, but the Remnant ones will be scattered throughout the Galaxy.

I think that could easily be the case. Post WW2 style, where Remnant systems are embargoed, or divided behind "Berlin Walls". These systems will be ruled by Remnant Imperial Governors who have refused to give up power. These systems will be on the verge of economic collapse, leaving them open for other aggressors. Additionally we could have bounty hunters and a network of (Bothan) Spies seeking out information about the other as well as a Arms Race. (As a way-out there idea we could also have a society that is secular and distrusting of force users. And that by the end, there's a reemergence of faith in the force. This could mirror the 20th century, the Soviet Union…or maybe in a different way, something similar to how Christianity grew after the Fall of Rome.)

Neither exists in this trilogy. Once the Empire falls, there is no "Rebellion" to it.

Yes. I think that for the Galaxy to have peace both the Alliance and Imperial Remnant systems will have to unite against a much larger foe. I can easily see a Barbaric warrior army taking advantage of the weakened state of the Galaxy. I could see some of these Barbaric warriors to be dark side force users. No Sith Order, no religion, no rules. Just chaos.

I think the "Underworld Group" will be the Jedi. Luke is in exile. Neither peoples of the Alliance or the Remnant systems really trust the Jedi. So he's spent his time learning the Force. I could see him having 1 Jedi Knight, an apprentice, at first. And then in EP 8, he calls out to 11 others to come to him and start training (Yoda style) By EP 9, his 12 Jedi Knights fight back against the main foe, and regain their status of Guardians of Peace and Justice for the Republic.

I think the EU is being thrown out. I'd love a Old Republic movie someday. I think for the ST, nothing will be included other than a name or title or two.

No…not really. Essentially we have Alliance vs Remnant worlds, then they team up to fight an Invading Foe. In the background Luke (as the anti-Palpatine figure) will be setting up his new Jedi Order, new temple and orchestrate the creation of the New Republic (built on peace from Alliance and Remnant worlds fighting together) at the very end of EP 9.

20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    No. I would imagine ½ Republic, ¼ still under rule of the old Empire and ¼ independant systems.

I think the tension between the Republic and Old Empire will be high. The old Empire attacking the New Republic could be the act that starts the ST.

Will the Empire be split in two?
    Some Planets still under Empire rule may want to join the Republic but may be under too much control or afraid to leave.

Will the Rebellion be split in two?
    I doubt it. Those who decide to rejoin the Republic did so for a reason, all Republic planets should have the same goals in sight.

The Imperial remnants could recruit a third party to help even the odds against the Republic. I’d like to see the ‘Independant’ Mandalore make a deal with the old Imperials.

A small role. They will focus on the Independant systems

Another EU culture?
    No opinion here. I have no preference either way.

Someone new?
    Unnatural Creations

I like the idea, but question if it is too complicated for a SW story.

AlbiSquare likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it will be that the New Republic will be in control of the galaxy.

22. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    There will be a New Republic. It won't be strong. It was, after all, put into place by a scrappy band of freedom fighters, most of whom have never been in public office, let alone being put in charge of the entire galaxy. They will make mistakes. The rebuilding will be slow. Where the progress is 30 year out is anybody's guess. But I do predict, after the iron grip of the Empire, society will be all too suspicious of the centralization of power, and the New Republic will be founded on a philosophy of hyper-libertarianism. The government will have a very, very loose grip on its people, partly by design and partly because of incompetency. This could very well lead to conflict.

Now think about this: In the first trilogy, we saw an aging Republic face off against secessionists. In the second trilogy, we saw a rebellion fight against a Totalitarian Empire. What if, in the third trilogy, we see a weak, recovering Republic taken advantage of in the form of an attempted coup? What if the former rebels now face a rebellion of their own?

That's what would interest me the most. Turn the tables, and bring everything full circle.

23. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I think the idea of the Empire transitioning back to something more Republic-like makes a lot of sense. The Imperial Senate had only been disbanded about 4 years prior, and this was presumably done with the "emergency powers" the Senate had granted Palpatine. Only the Senate could have given Palps the power to disband the Senate. In fact, ALL of Palp's political powers had been given to him, completely legally, by the Senate that had originally elected him.

With the death of the duly-elected Emperor, what would be left? You would have a large collection of Moffs acting as military governors for specific regions, but I seriously doubt that any of them would have enough military assets at their direct disposal to seize control of the Empire by force, even if they wanted to. And why would the rank and file military follow these bozos anyway? The Imperial military forces ultimately follow the orders of the Commander-In-Chief.

The Empire was still governed by law. Once the head of state was dead, the first order of business would be to name a new head of state. The idea that there would be no clear legal procedure for doing this is ludicrous. If I had to guess, I would say that temporary rule would fall to some minister or cabinet official until an election could be held. The Chancellor/Emperor had always been elected by the Senate, and this provision of the constitution could very plausibly have remained on the books. If so, that would necessitate recalling the Imperial Senate.

Once the Senate was back in session their first order of business, even before electing the new head of state, would probably be to repeal some of those emergency powers they had granted to the chancellor's office. They wouldn't want to find themselves disbanded again. However, some of the Clone Wars-era "reforms" might be upheld. After all, the Republic under Valorum was also a largely dysfunctional government. For instance, the Senate might very well decide NOT to demilitarize itself, the way the old Republic was demilitarized.

Another thing to think about: the fact that Palpatine turned out to be a tyrant would not have automatically exonerated the Jedi, who had been slandered as traitors and warmongers who had engineered the Clone Wars and attempted to seize control of the government. I think that realistically, distrust of the Jedi would remain high.

It seems probable to me that the Empire would revert to something like it was at the end of Ep. III. Call it Proto-Imperial: a powerful elected Emperor presiding over a large legislative Senate and serving as CinC of a sizeable army and navy. At that point, the Alliance would have a decision to make. They could keep fighting against a vastly more powerful adversary, hoping to gather support to eventually overthrow the galactic government altogether, but even if they could do this successfully, it would condemn the galaxy to the kind of full-scale war seen during the Clone Wars. Or, they could decide to make peace and go back to trying to reform the system from within. Some measure of democracy had been restored, and over time the Emperor's authority could gradually be eroded, just as the Senate's authority had been gradually eroded throughout the Clone Wars and the period before Ep. IV. By Ep. VII, you could have a sort of "Imperial Republic." That's the scenario that makes the most sense to me.

loki41872, Ghost and Bob Octa like this.
  24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I am expecting a return to the state of the galaxy in play in Episodes 1 and 2. I think Leia would make for a great Supreme Chancellor, and a "rebanding" of the Galatic Senate.

I also expect, when the Senate is in session, Han Solo will be at Leia's side yelling "ORDER" whenever the senators get out of line (ok that last part was a joke :D).

AlbiSquare and Dra--- like this.
  25. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder whether or not the public will know that Palpatine was the true leader of the CIS.

Bob Octa and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.