Discussion State of the Republic in the ST

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Darth Chiznuk, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    So George Lucas has stated previously that the ST would partially be about the rebuilding of the Republic but since the ST will take place 30 odd years after ROTJ I'm curious to see how established the Republic will be in the new trilogy. Both the Galactic Republic and the Galactic Empire ruled nearly the entire galaxy so should we see the same with the New Republic (or the Third Republic, Fourth Republic, whatever they decide to call it)? Or should there be a less established government in this trilogy?

In the PT the characters feared that the galaxy would split in two so I think it would be interesting to see that actually happen. Two superpowers that control vast amounts of the galaxy and battle it out for the rest. Perhaps this could be where the conflict comes from. The antagonistic government trying to annex an Independent system and the Republic trying to intervene.

Another question I have is: what is the state of the Republic's military in the ST? Should they have a large military or no military at all like TPM? I would have a large military and eventually have it decommissioned at the end of the ST with the Jedi once more guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy.

This is just something I'm very interested in seeing.
    Sean Sinclair likes this.
  2. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    I would like to see a very splintered and divided society. One that is in a state of upheaval. Revolutions often end with power vacccums and chaos. I'd like to see that explored in the ST.

So, no real "Republic", at least not one that encompasses the entire galaxy.

Perhaps governments have fallen a few times in the years between the trilogies
    Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin, Apr 22, 2013
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Wookiee_Vader Force Ghost

star 1
    One of the main reasons that the various separatist factions were willing to go to war was because there was no military to oppose them. It would be unwise to let a situation like that arise again...
  4. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I like this idea a lot but I think it would be better to explore it in the TV series rather than the ST. It just seems to me like it would take a lot more than three movies to explore all the dynamics of this type of story. Also I think it is important to show that the characters have achieved something in terms of establishing a functioning government by the time the ST starts.
    Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4

Yes, it would be fertile ground for a TV series
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. clone3131 Force Ghost

star 4
  7. Circular Logic SWTV Interview Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Since we know the ST takes place roughly 30 years or more after RotJ, we can assume it occurs after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War. If Disney/LFL chooses to acknowledge this significant aspect of the NJO EU, then I imagine we should be able to see Coruscant as a hybrid between the original ecumenopolis and Vong-terraformed areas. It would be cool to see the Senate Building having transformed into the Well of the World Brain, which is still intact after the war. How great would it be to fans of the NJO to have the Vong War acknowleged in this way? I imagine that such an environment could be both beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

The Republic itself would just be recovering during the war, so I imagine it's going to be ripe for conflict. As Captain Tom Coughlin mentioned in a previous post, this would be a great time period for the upcoming television series, if the now debunked Reclamation rumor had anything to say about that.
  8. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.