main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilipWise

PhilipWise TheForce.net Co-Owner Staff Member Administrator

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm starting this topic so what it will be clear what happened to some forum mods yesterday and why.

The site theforce.net and the forums are owned by me and Josh Griffin. We have a contract with IGN where they provide hosting in exchange for allowing them control of the advertising. Neither I, nor Josh, or the entity TF.N LLC earns any money from IGN for this. IGN does pay some expenses directly related to running the site and occasionally we are compensated for affiliate advertising, such as from All Posters.

Last week I asked for each of the volunteer mods to provide me their name and mailing address. Many mods complied, some however did not. Concerns where raised about the reason for the request and some were concerned with privacy issues. Though I addressed these issues, some still did accept them.

Those that were either fearful of my having the information or worried about the security of their name and address being in our files enough, refused to provide the information.

Those people are no longer moderating for the forum. This is the list of demotions:

sideshow212 ID: 619313
    DarthSapient ID: 423901
    Protege-of-Thrawn ID: 339825
    Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof ID: 239660
    stinrab ID: 226005
    Rogue1-and-a-half ID: 285985
    Jeff_42 ID: 223819
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi ID: 238022
    VoidDancer ID: 627023

Contrary to some opinions I've read, I value the work volunteers do very much. This is not my way of thanking them or casting their efforts aside as unimportant.

Unfortunately, as much as I care about their work, I care more about the future of the forum, the tf.n staff, and our relationship with Lucasfilm, than I care about those

who are fearful of my having their contact info. It's a fact that some people who participate in forums anonymously, including moderators, can and do feel more free to

say and do things they would otherwise not do if they were known. In the end, I am confident the forum mods will be more comfortable with each other than they are now.

Based on some hate mail I've received as a result of this, it looks as though there might have been mods among us you might not want around your family. People that say these kinds of things have no business pretending to be decent people and every reason to fear disclosing their name and address.

Thanks for reading.... Philip

2. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    This just isnt right :(

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Just wondering... why did you want their personal information, exactly?

Seriously, though, thanks for the message. I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the fact that you spoke up.
    I still don't agree with what you did and how you did it (I won't say that I don't agree with WHY you did it, because I don't KNOW why), but I'm not going to flame you for it. I'm not going to say I "hate" you, because I don't even know you. I think being civil is the best thing we can all do at this point.

Edit - weren't other people demoted who weren't on that list, though? Users like Bria, jp-30, and a few others who are also no longer Moderators?
    Also, what about the CRs and RSAs who got demoted, like strawbary?

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I have one word of advice to the mods: Lock this now before the users start. As it is I disagree with the decision but what can I do? nothing. I would add that I think it is disrespectful however to not give VIP colors to those demoted as a thank you for the hard they've done for this board.

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Contrary to some opinions I've read, I value the work volunteers do very much. This is not my way of thanking them or casting their efforts aside as unimportant.

Then give them VIP status, chief.

Amazing.

6. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Concerns where raised about the reason for the request and some were concerned with privacy issues. Though I addressed these issues, some still did accept them.

Firstly, thanks for giving us this statement to give us your side of the argument. However in response to the above quote, could you possibly tell us what these issues are? Why was there a reason for the mod's information to be given?

Secondly, don't you think that through the years of excellent work from the mods, especially DarthSapient, that they deserve at least a VIP status?

Thanks again :)

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Philip, I don't know if you're going to check back here, but I think you could have more people listening to you and thinking about your side of things if you gave a clear explanation about why you needed the mods' information. A lot of the mods have said that you never provided such an explanation.

I'm on the mods side on all this, until I see some really compellingly good reason not to be. You're going to be hard-pressed to provide that. But I'm a reasonable person, I will listen.

-Paul

8. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm glad he addressed the situation.....I hope the users show him some respect in their responses, regardless of their view on things....I for one don't agree with the decision to ask for personal info....but it's not my site.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001

Your actions speak far louder than your words.

If you wanted people's private info, the onus is on you to give them every assurance that it's being done in their best interests, not yours. You failed to do so, hence, the mess you have created.

At least you did the right thing by reinstating Bria and strawbary, two girls under the age of 18. It sickens me you asked for their addresses in the first place, but I digress...

10. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Just wondering... why did you want their personal information, exactly?

I second that. Knowing this might help us users understand why this was done. Frankly, I don't get it.

I am sorry to see some of those mods demoted. I'm sure you have valid reasons or at least I hope so.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Yes, the WHY you need the information would be nice. I'm too angry to say more with out regreting it later.

12. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    At least you did the right thing by reinstating Bria and strawbary, two girls under the age of 18. It sickens me you asked for their addresses in the first place, but I digress...

Oh.. I didn't realize they'd been reinstated. [face_blush]

Edit - something else I don't understand is this:

Based on some hate mail I've received as a result of this, it looks as though there might have been mods among us you might not want around your family.

Isn't that all hearsay and rumor, though? I mean, you can't do a valid background check without the name and address, and you didn't get the name and address, did you? ?[face_plain]
    Heck, I could ruin a person's e-life with some well-placed rumors to the right people if I wanted. It happened to ME (that's part of why I got "let go" from the Moderator job I held for 2 years on a different forum).

13. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Wake up, Philip!

It's not other mods they are worried about having the information! It's someone possibly breaking into your CHQ board and gaining access to the info when they shouldn't have it!

There are some trolls here who threaten to do some very bad things, and the mods are right to be worried.

You would know that, if you had bothered to read through "200 posts by whiney mods" in ModSquad.

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    For the record, I agree that you should have the right to do whatever you want as an owner.

However, I completely disagree with how this was handled. You want to know why some mods are pissed? Because they've poured their heart and soul into this place for years, and they've been cast aside by someone who rarely visits the fourums, and who is oblivious to much of what goes on here. They feel like they've been treated like crap, and they definitely don't feel appreciated.

Do you even remember why you created a fan site in the first place? Was it to make money, or was it to share news and interact with other fans? Frankly, it's a sad day for fans everywhere when something like this becomes about the money, and not about the fans.

Edit:
    Also, to quote AmazingB:
    Then give them VIP status, chief.

15. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Definitely. The information that you're asking for needs a good explanation as to why you're asking for it. There has been no need for this information to be provided since this forum was put together. Why the sudden change, and why the lack of communication on your part to the people that you claim to value?

Edit: ^^^ I'm in agreement with Jeff ^^^

16. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Having no colors does not remove them as family members in my heart. Family, they will always be. Sapes, you'll always be my black and gold tiger. :) :D

17. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Though I addressed these issues, some still did accept them.

Yeah. Right. Sure.

btw, for future reference, telling mods that they're paranoid generally won't help get them on your side. Most times, there's a very good reason for paranoia. Not to mention giving them a good reason for wanting it. Christmas cards and depositions just aren't cutting it.

18. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Where is Josh in all of this?

19. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    PhilipWise the way you are handling this is a major concern, why didn't you speak up earlier about why your doing it this way would've been better, then left to be speculated by others.

I do have a major concern, if the info is being hosted on a webserver one that can be easily hacked into then I can see where the mods are coming from. Fear of a crazed troll showing up on their door step is not one thought that anyone here would even want to finish.

I feel that there are better ways to handle this, asking via e-mail and keeping the info on your computer is a better way to keep things more secure.

Just my thoughts on this

20. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Good question about Josh. Where does he come into play? if you won't answer our questions, maybe he can.

21. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Liz : His post just proves how completely out of touch he is with his staffers and the site in general.

22. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm fuzzy about this. If Philip's asking for mods to give him - via email for example - their details, I'd say that's ok. He is afterall, putting them in a position of authority and responsibility. However, I've been led to believe from comments made, that this is not the case. Rather the information is to be supplied and storeed on the mod boards, where it's not secure. That would be *ahem* unwise, if you'll pardon the terrible pun.

Can we have clarity on the nature of submission and storage of this info.

23. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I don't think, Mr. Wise, that you can truly appreciate the work they do here with only posting 13 times. It matters not to me that you own the site, because I hardly know who you are. AmazingB said it best...if you really appreciate the work they've done, Give them VIP status Chief.

I hope you realize now that this site is slowly going to sink into obscurity. You have shot yourself in the foot and the only way to avoid this is to undo what has been done. I advise you to be very careful with your choices on who you make mods, because many of us know that if certain people are made mods, you'll have quite a negative situation on your hands.

Good luck chief

Best...Loyaljedi

24. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I agree with Amazing on this issue.

25. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    It still seems rather harsh.
    This site and info from it have proven easy for unscrupulous people to hack into in the past.
    Can't say I blame them for not wanting to post personal info like that on the net.
    I'm a rascally droid and that's sure as hell all anybody needs to know about me till I feel comfortable otherwise.
    Even the friendships I made from here stay off of here ya know?
    If we the common folk don' get reasons why you need this info so direly, well, too bad for us.
    But the mods were at least told why right? Otherwise, who the hell can blame 'em ya know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.