main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    SOOO totally off-topic, but I just checked out Philip Wise's userprofile. When he had 13 posts, he was being watched by 13 users. Then when he made his 14th post a few hours ago, he had 14 users watching him. Now he's made his 15th post. Guess how many users are watching him? Just something odd I noticed.

Totally off-topic, I know. I'm just observant, and I like to share observations with others. :p

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm with everyone else. Your reason for having people give out personal information is pretty flat. To keep them from saying things they wouldn't otherwise say? Are mods above banning? If they say inappropriate things, remove them. They shouldn't have to give out personal info to try to keep them in line.

Plus, having info like that in a place where someone else could get at it is dangerous. Especially with some of the non-mod people who come in here looking for people to start a fight with and end up getting mad at the mods for editing their posts, and locking their threads. If someone that got pissed at the mods hacked in, and got their personal info, that's a liability they shouldn't have to face.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Can we have clarity on the nature of submission and storage of this info

Online form and a server. The server is not nessesarily insecure, but not nessesarily secure either. I don't think there is a qualified network security admin availble to test the server, but being logical, any computer can be hacked it's just a matter of how much time it would take and how much experience you would have to have in order to do it.

¤Night

4. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Philip, Im sorry you recieved hate mail. No one deserves that, and for what its worth, you have my apologies.

However, I urge you to reconsider this decision in remebbrance of those who gave this board and tfn excellent service for so long. Surely you can understand some people's concerns about divulging personal infromation, especially at a time like this when terror still holds a grip on many people.
    Perhaps your reasons for requesting this are just. However, will you not sacrifice your rights to make sure that this site contains quality moderators? The posters at this site have spoken. It is you now who refuses to listen.

This is an unfair demand, and IMO, an unjust treatment of those who faithfully maintained this site for you.

Furthermore, you ahve seen the uprising of the JC posters, and yet continue to ignore us. That is ignorance on the highest degree, and not what I have come to expect from this website.

This board is a communtiy. That is why I am here. I like the communtiy. But as a community, we need to be aware of other people's personal needs and worries. And sometimes, that means giving of ourselves and of our rights that we may have earned.

This is tyranny. And possibly the end of the JC as I have known. And if this turns out to be a permanent change, do not bother asking me to become a moderator.

5. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I think it would be appropriate for those demoted mods such as DarthSapient who handled themselves with dignity be offered VIP status, or at least a former moderator title.

Thanks for the explanation.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I you had ANY respect for the mods you would have at least given them VIP status

Or the decency of a straight up answer WHY you needed their info. Most of the them are totally reasonable people, and if you had given them a true valid reason, might have complied.

This is just ridiculous, and if ANY good came out of this, it was for Mr. Wise and mr. wise alone.

But thanks for actually posting your thoughts here, as canned and repeated and fake as they sound.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I agree with amazing, if you truly do care about the work they put in then give them VIP status

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Based on some hate mail I've received as a result of this, it looks as though there might have been mods among us you might not want around your family. People that say these kinds of things have no business pretending to be decent people and every reason to fear disclosing their name and address.'

I'm sure it's just you. It seems you barge in, and for no good reason ask for personal information. Did you really expect people not to be irritated by this?

9. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Wise, I just wanted to congratulate you on becoming one of the most hated people on the net. Seriously kudos, you'll be right up there with the most visible nazi hate groups in no time and that's certainly no small feat. You own the most popular Star Wars fansite on the web, and now you've garnered the wrath of just about everyone who frequents it. That is truly amazing.

Sorry, deltron.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Philip, you know it doesen't have to end this way. If you do this, you will be destroying the biggest and best Star Wars site on the net, along with millions of fans. And you are doing this over a rule you uselessly made up? Come on, man. Get a life.

The mods are right here. You may be their superior here, but they have the right to fight back as much as you do. The mods and FFers that resigned have every right to.

You would think that at this point you would give up and forget the rule... If you keep doing this, you will have no one to moderate the boards. No one.

The mods that resigned were some of the best mods that was have ever had here. Realize what you're doing...

11. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Wise, I just wanted to congratulate you on becoming one of the most hated people on the net. Seriously kudos, you'll be right up there with the most visible nazi hate groups in no time and that's certainly no small feat.

Okay, let me be the first to say that I think that's taking it a LITTLE to the extreme.

12. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I know I speak for others when I say that if we knew why he wants such information, there would be a much better chance of this trouble being resolved. One must give a little to get a little.

13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Smuggler said it best I must admit, everything he said I agree with

14. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Do you guys think we're actually going to get a reply from him? I don't :(

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree, Syntax. Three days ago, none of this drama was going on, three days from now, it will probably be over. Philip is hated, i agree, but comparing him to some of the worst killers in history?

16. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Guys, realisticly, he'll probably never come back to this thread. Even if he does, it'll probably only be to say something along the lines of "I've said all I'm going to say. The demotions stand."

17. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay, let me be the first to say that I think that's taking it a LITTLE to the extreme.

Maybe. But I wasn't trying to equate him to those groups, just saying that his name will be as recognizable as any nazi hate group webmaster's. I mean, how many can you name?

18. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    2When he had 13 posts, he was being watched by 13 users. Then when he made his 14th post a few hours ago, he had 14 users watching him. Now he's made his 15th post. Guess how many users are watching him? Just something odd I noticed."

Imagine if it were that way for all of us. One Watcher per post. Someone call Bib. I've a new challenge for him! [face_laugh]

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I agree, Syntax. Three days ago, none of this drama was going on, three days from now, it will probably be over. Philip is hated, i agree, but comparing him to some of the worst killers in history?

Bingo, exactly.

Did you see the lengthy post I made in the last page of the (currently) locked "Mods with black colors" thread? Maybe I should copy-paste it here.

I'm trying to remain level-headed with regard to this situation, especially with tensions and emotions running so high. There's a reason why my friends consider me to the the Voice of Reason.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh, I'm still looking for a good explanation.

21. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    For all the people making personal attacks on Philip in this thread: This isn't a good place for that. There are several other threads; why not go there if you feel the need to attack them? I may be too optimistic, but I'd really like to believe this situation can be resolved, or at least that we can have some open, sensible communication about it. There are other places for Philip-bashing; let's try to talk intelligently with him here. Who knows? Communication could work.

-Paul

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002

three days? for those who know its been longer then three days

23. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Well, my feeling is that it seems the data needs to be secure. As the user least likely to ever be made a mod(that's official BTW), I posit that I would gladly supply my info to an employer(kinda necessary), but wouldn't want it stored somewhere like on the JC. I'd rather it were done via another method.

Thinking about it, email's not that safew either. You need a well firewalled site like those *ahem* 'adult' ones that take your credit card details and put you in debt for life.

Failing that a phoneline, the number of which would be be sent via email to a newly appointed mod, for him to ring it and give his details to someone who writes it down, like in the good old days.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    He's not even going to read this, i know. But he's got a hate rep going.

25. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    A statement to Philip Wise:

Sorry about the hate mail, that's just plain wrong. I think any reasonable person can understand why we're angry with you and your decision, however. I ask you to reinstate the mods, or give a damn good explanation as to why you need their personal information.

The mods did nothing wrong. Don't destroy this great forum because they want to keep their right to privacy.

Sincerely, an outraged JCer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.