main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    This will be made into a movie. "The Passion of the Mods"

Which mods would those be, the ones that protested and let their friends get demoted?

....ouch.

2. LeighVionna

LeighVionna Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2002
    I have never posted here before, although I feel like I know this place backwards and forwards sometimes. My fiancé is a MOD here and talks to me quite a bit about the topics, sends me links to threads he thinks I would be interested in, etc.

I encouraged him last weekend when he told me what was going on not to give his information without further information, but I know he submitted it anyway. At first I thought that it would be ok, but seeing how this has all been handled, I think he has made a mistake.

This is for all the MODs who got demoted ? bravo to you for all your hard work! If you are anything like my fiancé, then you have put your heart and soul into your VOLUNTEER job here and you deserve everyone?s respect! I hope that you realize that even if the owners don?t appreciate your hard work, the users and your fellow MODs do!

For the MODs who did submit your info ? I hope that you do not get screwed over by this person who does not seem to care about anyone but himself. I know that these are quality boards BECAUSE OF THE MODS. NOT because of Mr. Wise, who apparently doesn?t even visit the boards, or he?d know what a wonderful thing he?s jeopardizing.

Mr. Wise ? I SERIOUSLY think you owe these people who have put their hearts and souls into these boards a little more credit and explanation. It is apparent that you care for nothing but money and yourself, and that is a very sad thing.

Good luck to all you MODs who stayed and a HUGE thank you to all the MODs who got screwed over. I hope that all the members of these boards will be sympathetic and help you get through what I?m sure you feel is a terrible loss in your lives.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    He never indicated if this would be affecting the CR's as well.

4. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    here's a question, would you give your personal information to someone you did not know, I knOw I sure as hell wouldn't.

5. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    He never indicated if this would be affecting the CR's as well.

He never said it wouldn't, either.

6. TK-46_Duke

TK-46_Duke Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2002
    That was one pitiful explanation.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I know, makes me nervous. I mean I recently posted my personal info all over the boards, for an other reason, so I don't really care. But nevertheless I'd like to know.

8. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    Guess what, Phil? :)

We're waiting. [face_plain]

9. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I know you're blowing off steam, but I'm just trying to keep things at least semi-rational. The best I can do is make you think.

And then he came, arising like a Phoenix from the warm, smoking ruins of the JC, declared to be "A Voice Of Reason" by the council of his friends, the great, level-headed, and wise Syntax. Don't mind the smell. ;)

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

It's not much of a protest if you just say "I disagree with you, so I will make my username black, watch those I support be demoted, but be careful not to do too much so I retain my power."

jp-30 and Krash are the two who deserve the credit. All that black username and strike-through charade is hollow, at best, when on display next to the principled stands of those mods who had the gumption at actually resign.

If the rest of you are so appalled by this, and so disgusted that you must work with someone like Philip, then why don't you show a little backbone and do the same thing?

AYBABTU?

11. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    AYBABTU, the fact is that there was a lot more involved in the protests than merely changing their screenname colors. The fact that you didn't see it means nothing.

12. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Several people here, including Amazing, LizSkywalker, and The Emperor's Prize, have already stated it best, but you guys know me and know I have to throw in my $.02.

There is no reason why you should need moderators' names and addresses, much less home phone numbers. Some of the moderators here live with others, some are minors. Some are women who live alone. Some just don't feel like dealing with the crap, and since they're not getting paid, that is their right. I am friends with several moderators and ex-moderators, and I know for a fact that they have been harassed online by nutcases that they've banned. Why should these nutcases be able to find out where they live by going to a non-secure site where you're storing their addresses?

If you want to send a Christmas card, get their e-mail addy and do an e-card. If you want to name them in a deposition, get their name and address at the time--if they are really responsible, which in my opinion, they aren't--it isn't their site, they just volunteer their time to help moderate it. If, for example, someone in 3SA is allowing spoilers that have not yet been released by Lucasfilm, the answer is to demote that person and delete the spoiler so you don't get sued--this is your site, and it is your responsibility to do that--not Sape's to give his name and home address. Sape has a wife and two kids and I'm sure he would prefer that they not be harassed. And I'm just using him as an example--there are others like him, with families.

Also, if you really appreciate the hard work the mods do, as you said you do, then I don't think calling them paranoid, whiny, scared of their own shadows, or demoting them and refusing to even give them VIP status is the way to do it. If you start demanding addresses from CRs, then I guess you can call me paranoid, whiny, and scared of my own shadow, because you're not getting my full name or my address. I have no reason to be afraid--as I've said before, I'm pretty good in self-defense and I also have a very large husband--but that doesn't mean I feel like putting up with any crap due to any nutcase enemies I might make on an Internet message board. One of the first rules of Internet security is not to give out too much information about yourself, and you are asking moderators--volunteers--to break this basic rule.

*a_g out*

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Sometimes it's better to change something from the inside rather than leave. I respect all of the mods' decisions, no matter what they are.

14. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Because maybe sometimes, you have to work with a boss that you might not like, but you don't want to abandon the entire company?

The mods who left deserve support
    The mods who stay deserve support

It shouldn't be about division down here in the ranks, but about working together...

15. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    If any of the mods he asked for their information were under 18, it was probably completely illegal to ask for the information in the first place.

Also, I see absolutely no reason why the information would be useful or necessary.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In short, several of us are still deciding what to do. This hasn't finished playing out, and we're figuring out what we want to do.

All in all, it seems like a no-win situation.

17. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I agree with Mr44. the mods who are still here are here because they don't want to see this place fall apart over this.

18. DarthEssex

DarthEssex Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2003
    What I see is this personal infomation is PERSONAL and giving threats to mods saying "If you don't give your personal info, YOUR FIRED!" that makes people wonder what kind of owner you really are Philip, We fans want to know the reason why all the sudden want this to happen and don't give me the BS about you want to make this board better because you know damn well these guys put their heart and soul out doing this job. It sickens me that people like you have to ruin something so great for fans like us all because of you wanting to know their privacy info which you know isn't right to give it out.

I'm done [face_plain]

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, KnightWriter, I hope all of the rest of you decide to stay, or at least stay long enough to train replacements if you want to leave. This place will fall apart without qualified leaders.

20. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    KW...think about it this way, would you want to give up your personal information knowing that this place has as many holes as Britni spears' latest outfit? There are serious star wars fans out there who could get really mad if someone disagreed on what was canon.

21. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    the mods who are still here are here because they don't want to see this place fall apart over this.

I think it's too late for that.

22. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Unless anyone is actually an attorney, it is probably best to leave legal speculation out of this..

here's a question, would you give your personal information to someone you did not know, I knOw I sure as hell wouldn't.

What is contained in that information?

Who here is a member of the SW fan club? That organization requires a name, address, and credit card number to be kept on file, yet thousands of people willingly send it in.

To be a member of the OS/Hyperspace, you have to send in identifying information as well.

Just to add, I am not condoning the situation in any way. It seems to have been handled poorly.

But as has been stated, the mods themselves are still working through the procedure..

I think we should at least wait for the final determination, so that it can be a unified decision, instead of piecemeal speculation.

23. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    yeah, but you wont be affected legally if the OS/Hyperspace flounders

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Based on some hate mail I've received as a result of this, it looks as though there might have been mods among us you might not want around your family. People that say these kinds of things have no business pretending to be decent people and every reason to fear disclosing their name and address.

I really don't know how to respond to that.
    I do not condone hate mail in the least and fortunately, I think I can safely say that those who know me here would realize I am not that sort of person.

For the record, let me publicly state that my reasons for not providing my personal info never stemmed from not wanting Mr. Wise to know where I live. My decision was a cumulative one based on the way the situation was handled and on the lack of information we were given.

To at all imply that I am an indecent hate-mail sending person who is fearful of disclosing my name and address to him is, by far, the largest insult yet.

25. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I'm a firm believer that the ends do NOT justify the means. If Philip REALLY needed that information, there were far more appropriate ways of getting it, addressing the concerns of those to whom he was making the request, and handling the good-byes of those who would not comply. Of course, he still hasn't given a good reason why it was *absolutely* necessary...

I've always thought Josh Griffin was a decent fellow. I had no idea TFN was run by someone like Philip. What a shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.