main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I don't think phil understands that. I don't think he really grasps the situation in the 3SA forum, seeing as how he's never here.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    ...it's just that this place is too big to be fan-owned any more....

"So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done."

I'm not suggesting a fan-owned site. I'm suggesting the leading mods research the issue of finding new ownership at a new location.

3. Macabre_Being

Macabre_Being Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Posted Here

Good thing you posted this. The JC will be shut down at 5pm board time tommorow.

Is this the truth?

4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    lol, Not at all.

¤Night

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Good thing you posted this. The JC will be shut down at 5pm board time tommorow.

Is this the truth?

If it's posted by a (bitter) ex-mod, be sure to take their comments with a grain of salt. :)

6. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    As usual, 3 of my questions are ignored.

7. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Cpt_Obvious: I can totally see what Phil's saying. He doesn't want to be the sole person responsible for what's going on with the forums. It's like a catch 22 though. How can the mods be held responsible for it? They do the best they can, for free, to keep this site out of trouble. Are things going to slip though? Of course. Northing's perfect. It's a shame that anyone would be held responsible. Both the owners and the mods take care to not post anything illegal, and take care of problems as they happen.

I don't think the way he went about it was right though. You're right, he was probably backed into a corner. And he still is in that corner. I know I've probably said some unkind things toward him personally, and for that I apologize to him. My temper gets the best of me at times. He's got to do what's best for him. We've got to try to do what's best for us, the community.

8. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    I'm suggesting the leading mods research the issue of finding new ownership at a new location.

Well, then we're back to square one, yes? What's the problem with this site now? A non-fan owner. He's strictly business, seems to be in it for the money, and wants total control as you can see by lexu's post. You'd have to dig far and wide to find a fan who can afford and who even wants a monster like this.

Maybe a better alternative would be for people to donate space on their own sites than to store it all in one place.

I'm not dumping on your idea, Darth_Zidious, I'm just saying it would be very very hard to create something else exactly like this, but run by mods who are fans who would have the majority of control like it is now. Nothing is impossible, but the odds are against it.

Edit: clarify

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    To assure LFL that TF.N is a partner in all this and wouldn't harm their relationship, they will make the individual forum mods who missed the link or pic and allowed it to happen to be held responsible because 'of course' the owner would most certainly never do anything to offend the Official Site like that.

"Of course" the owners would never do anything like that...Darth Friday anyone???

I'm a 3SA freak, don't get me wrong...but, let's be honest. The ownership of this site (or at least one of them) thrives on spoilers.

I agree one hundred percent that when it comes to suing for something I might have missed in 3SA where there are probably 5 or 6 trolls an hour, not to mention the arguments that crop up over clones, Obi-Wan and Anakin, etc. I'm sure I couldn't catch it all.

I wouldn't want my family to suffer either. I can just hear it now...if I told my family I was being sued by George Lucas for MOVIE spoilers, I'd never live it down. It'd be pretty pathetic.... I think Mr. Wise, Mr. Lucas and TFN need to realize that it is just a series of movies after all..... Three are much more important things in life and Sape and the other mods have their priorities straight.l..nothing wrong with that.

10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    ...but the odds are against it.

Never tell me the odds.

It's worth a shot.

What's the problem with this site now? A non-fan owner

No, the problem is PW, not the fact that he's a non-fan.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Dammit, it sucks to see both of you step down, DLM and KW, but I completely understand. :(

12. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Holy crap! Dark Lady Mara and KnightWriter just resigned!

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    GREAT! I WUV U, PHILIP!1 :) :) :) :) :)

14. LoyalJedi

May 22, 2002
    Wow...I never thought KW would. Geez...maybe this is all for the best, huh?

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "It's the end of the world as we know it... It's the end of the world as we know it... it's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel f... I fee... I feel like vomiting..."

16. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    http://s4.invisionfree.com/jcmirror/index.php?act=idx (new home)

17. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    It's worth a shot.

And you, and any mods are welcome to try. There's no law that says you can't. In fact, perhaps it is feasible. This place does thrive on spoilers, and I give it a year after EPIII until the majority of users drops off and goes elsewhere, onto other things. The current state would only have to be maintained for approximately 3 years. If someone, or a bunch of someones can uphold the cash for that amount of time, then it's worth it. A collection might be best in this case, just MHO. 1 person, say Sape, would be webmaster and owner of the domain. Others could be mods/admins.

No, the problem is PW, not the fact that he's a non-fan.

If PW were a fan, do you think he'd treat other fans the way he did? Do you think that for all the time he's been here, he'd only have what? 17 posts? do you think he'd know how the boards work, the people here, the way it really runs and what it means to people like Sape? I think he would, if he were a fan. he'd actually care about this place, and it would be more than just a business to him. It obviously isn't, as far as I can see.

Holy crap...KW and DLM...jebus...can it get any worse?

18. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    plays "imperial march" mp3

19. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    And with that, the clock winds down unto the moment when everyone will be begging me to become a scab mod. Just wait, people. Just wait.

20. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    They'll be ice skating in Hell before they ask me.

21. LoyalJedi

May 22, 2002
    No, I don't think we've reached that point yet. We want these boards to live on, not sink even further into insanity...no offense..

22. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    There's been a lot of speculation about the liability factor in this new policy of ownership to have the names and addresses of all the moderators.

How does having the names and addresses of the moderators in any way increase the liability of the mods for any activity on this board?

23. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Who exactly would replace mods here knowing an a$$ like PhilipWise runs this place. He cant even tell the mods why he needs there personal info. Gotta be on crack working at a forum with a guy like PhilipWise these forums will fall.

24. LoyalJedi

May 22, 2002
    How does having the names and addresses of the moderators in any way increase the liability of the mods for any activity on this board?

Because then when LFL asks who is responsible for letting the Back in Black footage, among other spoilers, out...he can give them names so he doesn't catch the blame.

25. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    LoyalJedi, yes but legally, how does having the addresses change anyone's liability?

EDIT: spelling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.