main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statuatory Rape: AKA Jailbate.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dacks

Dacks Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2001
    So if someone is 18 and a day, and has sex with his longterm girlfriend, who is 17 and 364 days, it's wrong?

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The older one has passed a marker where he is expected to be mature and not have sex with someone who is a minor.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Now, think about this. My girlfriend and I were 17 at the same time for most of 1999, and then I turned 18. Although we didn't do anything during the time she was 17 and I was 18 (she turned 18 at the end of January 2000), what if we had been doing anything beforehand? Would we have had to stop just because I was suddenly 18, instead of 17?

The law is blind sometimes.

4. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    We're not talking about a difference of 2 days, but of 7 years.

It isn't a question of her perceived maturity. It is a question of a man having sex with a child.

Do her parents know? Is she mature enough to tell them and face the cosnequences of her actions? Is she mature enough to support herself? Is she mature enough to support their child?

5. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    what is the age of consent in that state?

robbing the cradle is not good. She's entranced with being with an older man. He is taking advantage of a teenager who is hot to trot.

It's not a good scene.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In this case, yes, that's what the deal is. But the law isn't so flexible, and often turns it into hair splitting with small time gaps.

7. Dacks

Dacks Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, we have to straighten out what we're dealing with.

I don't agree with the guy in the story, because on a moral level he's braking the sacred "Eleventh Commandment". He should be dating no less than 22/2+7=11+7=18. 18. (wow, how coincidental)

But I don't agree with the law when it's something like an 18 or 19 year old with a 17 year old. Don't forget that being labelled a "sexual offender" has very serious repercussions.

8. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    When I was 21 a 15 year old girl was really coming on to me-- we were working at the same place for a while. I had to turn her down, which was harder to do than it sounds, because if we had been closer to the right ages she would have been everything I wanted in a gf. I met up with her again 3 years later, but unfortunately it wasn't the same for her. I don't think she ever forgave me for a decision that, as I saw it, I didn't really have a choice in. I wasn't about to wake up every morning wondering if I was a pedophile. She's 19 now, me 24, and we're affectionate towards one another, but I don't think she can let the fact that I had to rebuff her out of her head.

9. Garli Pesan

Garli Pesan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I'll defend this guy.

In high school, I was sort of friends with this girl Jessica. (Sort of meaning we were friends, but then she started acting more and more obnoxiously.)

She was a year younger then me, but in the same grade. For most of her child hood she was home schooled, and never really learned to interact with people her own age.

So basically we were friends because we liked the same kind of music, and would go to this all ages club together. She would invariably start hitting on some guy in his 20's. This is from the time I was 14, she was 13. She'd tell them she was 17 or 18, which they belived since she was about 6 feet tall. They'd exchange numbers, ect, ect.

She would totally seduce them, and then dump them. The first time she had sex was in the back seat of the car of the guy who pierced her tounge. She had sex in the bathroom stalls of clubs. She would have boys sneak into her house, and pick her up at school.

Just keep in mind that there are very manupiltive underage girls out there. Ones who specifically go for older guys. At this point she's pretty much the laughing stock of my family, and everyone she used to be friends with. One of my other friends and I considered calling her parents and suggesting they make her get tested for std's.

So it's not always the guy who's a sicko in this situation.

10. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Quote (From Fingorfin): "Do you really want a system of laws that can be circumvented by anyone who is able to construct an argument complex enough to confuse a jury?"

Isn't that the approach taken by most defense attorneys in the US anyway? Generate doubt or confusion amongst jury members so that they cannot return a conviction that's "Beyond a reasonable doubt?"

11. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    "I'd just like to remind you that when Edgar Allen Poe was ... 26 I think, he married a 13 year old girl."

Yeah he was 27, and it was his 13 year old first-cousin whom he married. It was also over 100 years ago.

12. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I know 2 girls my age-ish (15/16) who are dating guys over 30. I think it's wrong - psychologically they are looking for stability, I believe, as both come from broken homes.

The age of consent in Britain is 16, I believe. My first proper girlfriend was 16 when I was 15 - I don't remember complaining.....

13. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Um, I think there is some 2 year rule, like if your woman is 17 and you are 19, it's all good, play ball. But if you are 20 and your woman is 16, you're going to jail.

I started this thread, and i just wanted to clear something up, my friend does not love this girl. But I was amazed he brought her to our fraternity initiation party with booze and drugs aplenty. I couldn't believe he had no shame! NO shame! But to each his own, but the love thing is not a factor, at least for him. (According to her he was her first.)

14. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    "So it's not always the guy who's a sicko in this situation."

No, but in that case, they're still big honking idiots.

15. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Get real, your friend has some an easy lay. he found someone who was vulnerable and who did what she did out of love or loneliness.

And yes, every guy is at least as responsible as the girl in cases of seduction. What's he going to say to the jury, "Sorry, but she made me get naked and slip it inside her. I'm an adult, but I had no control."

Let's be honest here. Even in these cases of seduction or Lolita type situations the adult still has the responsibility to end the relationship before it starts. And if it gets to the point of sex between an adult and child, even one who seems mature, the adult still crossed that line.

And why you haven't turned in your friend is beyond me, but he better just hope when he does kick her to the curb that she doesn't go to the cops.

16. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "This guy whose 22 is going out with her because she gives it up out of what she thinks is love."

"She's entranced with being with an older man. He is taking advantage of a teenager who is hot to trot."

Wow, not only can yall read minds, but you can read the minds of someone you've never even met! You should work with Miss Cleo.

[face_plain]

I think the the whole statutory rape law is a load of crap. Now I'm not saying child molestation should be legal, but there's a whole other law for that and statutory rape. I really hate that the word rape is in it too. To associate something so trivial(statutory 'rape') with one of the worst actions humanity is capable of is just ludicrous.

I was technically statutory 'raped'. The law here is, I believe, if one or both participants are under 18 and there's a difference of 4 or morte years, it's statutory 'rape'. I was 12, she was 16. I was not raped. I knew perfectly well what I was doing, and I had a damn good time. I was not a victim in any sense of the word.

17. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I think there is a need for a statuatory rape law. There has to be some point where we say that kids below this age are not mature enough in most instances to make the right decision and we protect them from harm until they are. A 20 year old having sex with a 12 year old goes way too far. I think the current law is pretty fair. I wouldn't protest if they lowered it to 16 but that's as far as I'll go. Adults should wait to have sex with the underaged. (I do think that the four-year thing is good.)

Some teens might pressure older people into sex; I do honestly believe that. Some teens are mature enough to make that decision by themselved. But all in all, they're not always mature enough and might be choosing to have sex with an adult 10 years their senior for the wrong reasons.

18. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Damn, I'm not sure I even physically could have when I was 12.

19. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, considering I was 12 when I first did the act of masturbation, I think at 12 I could have very well done the act and had a good time to boot.

20. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Thanks for that extra special glimpse into that portion of your life Son of the Tear. I think Im going to wake up screaming everynight for the rest of my life. Don't be surprised if I send you a psychatirist bill. I have an appointment with Dr Scratch-n-sniff

:(( God help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Nunquam

Nunquam Jedi Master star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Like the other posters have said, society had to draw a line somewhere, and it did so at 18. That's the law, so people can't nickle-and-dime it simply to justify their desire for sex with children. Like other posters have said, yes it's a "grey area," so we need a line in "black-and-white" to define limits and protect the innocent.

You have to draw a line...just like "red" has to mean "full stop" everywhere, not "sort of stop" or "use your best judgement whether to stop or not" or "stop only if the other guy stops" or "stop only if someone gets there before you."

22. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    someone may or may not have mentioned earlier that there is actually a fairly accurate equation to determine the age the girl should be, reletive to the age of the guy. Since girls mature quicker both physically and emotionally, (statistically speaking) her age can be a bit less than the guys. The equation is as follows:

1/2x + 9 = Y

where x equals the guys age and Y equals the girls age. In this case the equation would be simply worked out to be:

1/2(22) + 9 =20

this girl is too young emotionally for him...of course there are exceptions, the guy could be particularly immature, or the girl could be a thirty year old future Plato-reborn thinker, in which case it may work out.
    I suppose the main point of this post was to show everyone the equation that could help in their relationships, or maybe it was just to show off the random chance coincidence that I somehow happened to stumble on that little trivial info, remember it, and was actually able to apply it. Either one, I hope this helped someone.

23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Well according to everyone's calculations I'm screwed relationship wise. My boyfriend is 30, and I'm only 18. I think that relationships with that sort of age gap can work, but I think if someone is underage then they are off-limits. It isn't that hard to wait until they turn 18 (in Australia it is 16)...if you love them (and this guy apparently doesn't) then you'll wait.

Also, if he doesn't love her and is going out with her and things, it brings a whole new array of problems in. This guy is probably going to break this girl's heart and hurt her for a long time if he doesn't love her....*sigh*

I'm sorry if this doesn't make the most sense. I'm just waay too tired at the moment...

24. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Like many have said, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Same thing for smoking.
    Same thing for drinking.
    Same thing for joining the miliatary.
    Same thing for driving a car.

25. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    And many people do not agree on where that line would be drawn-- most often where it is most beneficial to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.