main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statuatory Rape: AKA Jailbate.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Were not going to appease everybody Gonk, somepeople just have to accept that they cant get their way all the time and there are laws. I think 18 is reasonable for everything except alcohol, unless you join the Armed Forces, then you are volunteering for your country the least your country can do is give you a drink, and with the pay the Armed Forces get thats not asking for alot.

(I just got out of the Air Force, and they pay sucks with a capital suck.)

2. MASTER_JEDI_BEEFCAKE

MASTER_JEDI_BEEFCAKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    What's going on over where you go to College? Are the pickings slim when it comes to the college female population? You need to tell your Frat buddy to take a look around at all the scattered you know what which is probably all around him.

He better be careful or he will be in some BIG trouble if he's not careful.

3. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Despite what is being said mostly in this thread I do believe that the age of consent in MOST STATES in the United States of America is 16 NOT 18.

4. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    In Texas, the age of consent is 17.

But a girl can get married without parental consent at 14 and a guy at 16.

How screwed up is that??

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I've never heard of such a low age for marraige without parental consent.

6. Nunquam

Nunquam Jedi Master star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, I still think it's not a good idea for a 15-year-old and a 22-year-old to be having sex. Personally, if I had a 15-year-old daughter and a 22-year-old so much as leered at her, he and I would have a "talk" he would never forget.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think asking questions gets better results than trying to force a point across.

8. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    well, the idea isnt that its 16 to legally have sex, but if the guy is 18 and the girl is 16 or 17 the law usually tries to mediate it out between the two people and/or families, instead of prosecute to the full extent of the law. if the girl is under 16 charges will usually be pressed for rape.

9. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Yes, the AOC laws are complete bulls!!t. If you don't believe me, then why are they different from country to country, or even state to state? I heard a guy could legally have sex with a fourteen year old in New Mexico, but cross the state line into Arizona and be arrested for the same thing! Also, they don't take into account mental maturity. People say that's to protect young people from being exploited. But what about, say, a 20 year old who has a mental age of 10? How do AOC laws protect them?

Anyway, allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. To the older guys who think you should be castrated for even thinking sexual thoughts about a girl under 18, just imagine you were stranded on a tropical island with Natalie Portman when she was 15. There's just the two of you. with little chance of rescue. How many of you would wait a whole 3 years before asking her out? I know I wouldn't :)

10. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Dating a girl at 15 and having sex with one are two different things. My girlfriend is 15. I first started dating her when she was 14. We haven't had sex yet. Its not that hard to wait if your serious about a relationship. If your not serious about it, you shouldn't be having sex.

11. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    Yeah, but my point was they don't magically mature into an acceptable lover once they hit 18. Only in the eyes of a flawed legal system.

12. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Yes. But in my friends case, he doesn't love her, he isn't even planning on being faithful.

13. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Of course hes not planning on m marrying her, we all know what a college age guy wants with a 15yr old

14. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    If he doesn't love her, then he is a bad man.

15. Nunquam

Apr 1, 2000
    "flawed legal system"?

So what's your answer to fix it? Make age of consent lower? 15? 10?

Remove it altogether and simply trust that the adult involved isn't a pedophile (or worse), and assume that the child isn't experiencing any psychological or physical harm? (In this scenario, what reason would we have to impose any age restrictions? With the same reasoning, kids should be able to drive, vote, go to war, work 18-hour days in coal mines, etc. I'm sure no one would take advantage of their youth and inexperience.)

Or, keep it at age 18, arrest the people, have municipalities hire a board of psychologists to conduct a battery of tests to see if the individuals are "mature enough" to engage in adult-teen/adult-child sex before deciding to prosecute or give a stamp of approval?

Ridiculous...

(Refer back to the posts on "drawing lines" for my opinion.)

16. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    If he doesn't love her, then he is a bad man.

How would you tell anyway? People love each other and still hurt each other. People don't care a whoot about each other and yet help each other.

He might love her for the attention and worship she gives him. It's not all about love, it's about responsibility and maturity.

17. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "he isn't even planning on being faithful"

And didn't you say that this guy was her first?? Quite frankly, your friend is an *******. I don't know why you bother defending him, or even why your his friend. I used to have a friend that was the same actually. He always cheated on his girls, and some of them were so nice. I couldn't respect him, or even like him.

18. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Well, he's a childhood friend, and we are in the same fraternity, so I'm just kind of stuck in the same lot as him. He's my friend, doesn't mean I approve of what he does. I mean, I don't think very highly of this 15 year old girl here either, she knows exactly what she's doing.

19. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    "How would you tell anyway? People love each other and still hurt each other... He might love her for the attention and worship she gives him."

I think you just defined what it means to be a prick.

How some people never seem to pick up on that is something I will never understand.

20. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    how did he meet a fifteen yr old

21. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    He disguised himself as a school and fooled her.

22. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I don't like the fact that as a 18 year old, being with a 16 year old is called 'rape' That isn't the right word. Although it will never happen to me because I am not going to be doing it with anybody, I don't think that makes me some kind of sicko if I did.

23. Dacks

Dacks Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2001
    yep wrong word.

24. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    Agreed. It seems foolish, to say the least, to describe an offence as 'rape' when, quite clearly, it is not. Putting a 'statutory' (aka 'government-speak') tag on it, merely adds insult to injury.

25. Nunquam

Apr 1, 2000
    I think "rape" is the perfect word. I'm no lawyer, but here's why I think so:

States/countries decide on an "age of consent"...the age at which that society agrees people are able to consent to a whole host of things...enter into contracts, have sex, etc.

If they are younger than that age, then they cannot legally consent...non-consensual sex is rape.

Statutory (as I understand it) simply means that regardless of what the intent of both individuals may have been, one of the parties is not legally able to consent to the sex act, so the adult is guilty on the basis of statute alone.

If the name "statutory rape" scares people or shames them, then good! That's what it's supposed to do...it's a law designed to protect children of any age and discourage adults from taking advantage of them.

Why can't people see that? Is it so damn important that grown adults have access to teenagers and children for sex?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.