main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Status of New PhxFF Message Boards... THEY ARE UP!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jedi_Webb, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I wanted to keep everyone updated on the status of our new message boards and website. I will keep this thread up to date as things progress.

The new portal software we will be using is called MaxWebPortal. If you want to see what our new message boards will look similar to, visit The MaxWebPortal Website Our new site will look and operate any way WE want it to... but their website shows what we will basically be starting with.

ISP Update:
    Currently, I am waiting to hear back from our ISP to set up the database for our new message boards.
    GeekSpeak Translation: We could use Microsoft Access as our database right now, but it is NOT scalable and/or reliable for us. We will be running the database on SQL server, but it needs to be set up.

That's all I have for now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

2. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Hi all.

In the spirit of the meeting and in solidarity with those who have been treated unfairly, this will be my last post on this site. As Sideshow stated at the meeting, he has seen momentum subside since the events that occurred. Well, for me, I do not wish to slow down that momentum, so I will not contribute to this site anymore. I will not post nor read any messages. I realize that the PFF message boards are not ready yet, but I don't want to contribute to a place that disrespects and insults my friends.

So, until such time as the message boards are ready, I will be available only through email, phone or Xanga. If momentum for the PFF message boards subsides, then I will see, and speak to you all at the meetings and at the events. I know I'm jumping the gun, but it is my statement of protest and solidarity. See you all on the other side.

3. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    ironically i came on the boards to see if this was happening yet. don't worry, i'm following suit in a day or two. just have to get a few things in order first. i salute you, chewie. see you on xanga.

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, there is one thing we can be happy about the NEW boards... NO MORE OPPM!!! There is no way to create an OPPM on boards like the new one, unless you want to go into intense ASP coding.

But, that means that the authorities on the boards wouldn't be able to use the good ol' ban-hammer. More like a ban-sledge.

5. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
    YUP, Kev's got it right.. NO MORE OPPM with our new boards!

Update: Got an email from the ISP, the SQL should be set up today. If the stars align I might get it up tonight. I'll keep you posted.

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    ACK !!!!!!!!!!!

WE NEED OPPM !!!!! Have to keep the masses in line ;)

7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Someone get void his new ban-sledge for the new boards! STAT! :p

8. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    No more OPPM??? [face_shocked]

But then I won't need my socks! :_|

9. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Well as soon as we get the new boards up and running on the flip side, I'll be there with a new Thread about the Tim Zahn Dinner. For now though, I have to keep updating it from here. Don't worry I'm moving there the first chance I get! :)

10. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
  11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    [face_laugh] @ Void. ROFL

12. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    After programming for a semester in C+, I heartily agree with that. :)

13. DarkSiderSteve

DarkSiderSteve Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2003
    Hmp... If this new board is going to use ASP, then I refuse to register...

couldnt resist. ;)

14. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Haven't you heard, Steve? The new boards won't require the mods to give out their personal info, but all users will have to submit a DNA sample... ;)

15. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    ASP isnt all bad. I used to do a lot of ASP coding and didnt mind it. Now we are using Cold Fusion. At first I was opposed but its not so bad now. It still uses SQL on the backend and that were the power is anyway.

Plus CF isnt by Microshaft so that is always a plus

;)

16. DarkSiderSteve

DarkSiderSteve Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2003
    Heh.. if you guys were at the meeting you'd know what Im talking about. I wont mentioned any names though... [face_mischief]

17. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    well, actually, these boards use ASP, so, you don't have much choice there, do ya?

18. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
    Ok gang. Jaguar Internet (our ISP) came through for us and got the SQL Server set up. I've uploaded our new website, portal and message board software to the Phoenix Fan Force Website at http://www.phxff.net

Step 1:
    Go to the website

Step 2:
    Register for an account. (ANY name you want)

Step 3:
    POST!

Step 4:
    ENJOY!

Oh yeah... DON'T REPLY to this thread... visit the new site and the POST THERE what you think. :) Thanks!

-Jedi_Webb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.